Search for content in message boards

Cox Family in Essex County Virginia bef. 1800

Cox Family in Essex County Virginia bef. 1800

Posted: 25 Apr 2000 10:46AM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 1:42AM GMT
I'm looking for any information anyone has on the Cox family in Essex Co., VA before 1800. Pleas e-mail me with any information you might have.

Thanks,
Shawn Cox
shawn_cox@hotmail.com

Cox in Essex County Virginia

Posted: 2 Jul 2000 3:07PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2001 1:44AM GMT
Matthew Cox,Sr. husband of Lucy Dickerson.
Matthew born born about 1735 Essex County
Virginia. Children: Matthew Sr. Cox and
Braxton Cox. If Correct family I can send
more. KC

braxton cox

teresa sharpe (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2000 8:15PM GMT
I have just started my own family tree and found your message. My grandfather was Clyde Cox of Bluff City, Tn, his father was Nathan Cox. Nathan's father was Sampson David Cox, Sampson's father was Braxton Cox. If I have the same family you are refering to, I would love to have more info.
Thanks

Braxton Cox

Posted: 29 Oct 2000 5:45PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2001 1:44AM GMT
Braxton Cox, b 12-28-1780, Montgomery Co. Va.
Married Nancy Allison 10-22-1798,at Wilkes County,
N.C. Nancy was born 1778 in NC. Braxton died 11-21-1856
11-21-1856 in Owsley County, KY. Nancy died 1860. They
had a son, Sampson, born in 1807, m Elizabeth
Driskill. There is no Nathan listed as a
child in my info. Send e-mail address and I
will send more if this is the right family.
kcox@mis.net Kathryn

Braxton Cox

Posted: 26 Nov 2000 9:59PM GMT
Edited: 10 Apr 2002 4:15AM GMT
I am married into the Cox family. My husband has a book, Ambrose N. Cox, Sr., Descendants 1772-1972 by Elza B. Cox. According to this book, Matthew Cox Sr. was born about 1730, probably in England. He and Lucy Dickerson (his second wife) had the following children:
Carter Cox, Sr. b. 1762
Mastin Cox, b.c. 1765
Ambrose N. Cox Sr. b 1772
Matthew Cox Jr. b. 1773
Braxton Cox, b.c. 1775
Delphy Cox, m. William Roberts (no date)
Aress (Aris) T. Cox (no date)

Braxton Cox is then followed to Campbell Co. TN, and Ownsley Co. KY in 1850; they have only a record of one daughter (Sampson's sister?) b. 1804, m. 6-12-1862 to Nathan Wade, b.c. 1796, son of John Wade and Hanna Jones. Maybe Sampson's son Nathan was named for his uncle. That's all this book has.

Braxton Cox

Posted: 26 Nov 2000 10:00PM GMT
I am married into the Cox family. My husband has a book, Ambrose N. Cox, Sr., Descendants 1772-1972 by Elza B. Cox. According to this book, Matthew Cox Sr. was born about 1730, probably in England. He and Lucy Dickerson (his second wife) had the following children:
Carter Cox, Sr. b. 1762
Mastin Cox, b.c. 1765
Ambrose N. Cox Sr. b 1772
Matthew Cox Jr. b. 1773
Braxton Cox, b.c. 1775
Delphy Cox, m. William Roberts (no date)
Aress (Aris) T. Cox (no date)

Braxton Cox is then followed to Campbell Co. TN, and Ownsley Co. KY in 1850; they have only a record of one daughter (Sampson's sister?) b. 1804, m. 6-12-1862 to Nathan Wade, b.c. 1796, son of John Wade and Hanna Jones. Maybe Sampson's son Nathan was named for his uncle. That's all this book has.

My husband's family is descended from Ambrose N. Cox Sr.
Posted: 17 Feb 2001 6:10PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 4:50AM GMT
Diana, In the book " Ambrose N. Cox, Sr., Descendents", does it show the name of Matthew Cox's first wife? Also, does it show the wife of Matthew Cox Jr.? This could be my ancestors. My GGGGrandfather was born in Virginia, according to the 1850 Union Parish La. census. He gave his age as 80.

Matthew Sr. and Jr.

Posted: 17 Feb 2001 9:14PM GMT
According to the book, Matthew Cox Sr.'s first wife was Mary Bagley.
Matthew Jr. was first married in 1800 to Mary Bishop, b.c. 1784 (daughter of Henry Bishop b. 1755 and Frances Simpkins, b. 1768). Mary died young, leaving Matthew Jr. with 9 children.
Matthew Jr. remarried 10-15-1822 to Margaret Sherril, b. 7-22-1774 (daughter of William Sherrill and Isabella Lawrence). He later moved to Burke County, N.C.
The writer of the book notes that the geneology of this side contains some discrepencies, but this is what they have:
The children of Matthew and Mary Bishop were:
Lucy Cox b.2-23-1803 (may be one older daughter)
Elizabeth Cox
Sarah Cox
Cloyd Cox
Henry Cox
Ross Cox
Jordan Cox
James M. Cox
Aras Bishop Cox B. 1-25-1816 (youngest, who apparently left a book with detailed genealogy).

Unfortunately, there is no information that any of these lines moved to Louisiana, and it seems clear in particular that Matthew Jr. died in N.C.

Diana
Posted: 18 Feb 2001 12:51PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 4:50AM GMT
Thanks Diana, I have" Foot Prints On The Sands Of Time' by DR. A.B.Cox. Matthew Cox(b 4-4-1786) his father was the son of Carter Cox and was married to Mary Bishop. Carter cox was older brother of Matthew Cox Jr. and both were sons of Matthew Cox Sr. and Susan Lucy Spencer Dickerson. The other children, according to A.B.Cox,s book were: Maston, Aras, Ambrose, Braxton, and Delphine who married William Roberts. Matthew, son of Carter and husband of Mary Bishop, died in N.C. in 1860. Dr. A.B.Cox's book states: Ambrose Cox Sr. lived in the western part of the county (Floyd), married miss Sally Reed. He was a Good citizen and neighbor and by industry and economy, acquired considerable wealth. His Father Matthew Cox Sr.was a native of the Valley of Virginia. His wife's maiden name was Dickerson, who first married a man by the name of Spencer. She was a widow when Matthew Cox married her. The union was blessed with six sons and one daughter... Unconfirmed information is that Mary Bagley was born about 1715 and was the wife of Matthew Cox, born in England and probably the father of Matthew Sr. Matthew Cox Sr. was near 30 years old when he married Lucy Dickerson. He could have been previously married with children but Dr. Cox didn't mention it in his book. Thanks again for your trouble. Maybe someday I will find who my GGGGrandfather descended from. If you find any possibilities, let me know. Bill Dingler mbrd@aol.com

Discrepancies

Posted: 18 Feb 2001 2:10PM GMT
The writer of "Ambrose N. Cox, Sr., Descendants, 1772-1972," Elza B. Cox, in his section on Ambrose N. Cox Sr.'s brother Matthew Cox Jr., acknowledges that there are discrepancies in the genealogy of this side of the family, presumably with the account in "Footprints in the Sands of Time" by the son of Matthew Cox Jr. and Mary Bishop, Dr. Aras Bishop Cox:

"There are discrepancies in the genealogy of this family, but using my best judgement and the genealogy material that has been furnished to me by fellow searchers, I trust their discretion to be correct."

I am inclined to believe Elza, since he remains in North Carolina, where half of the family went with Matthew Cox Sr. in 1786. On the other hand, A.B. Cox moved away from most of the family and ended up in Nebraska, so his recollection is probably less reliable.

I think I have found at least one possible source of confusion (assuming the Ambrose book is correct):

Matthew Cox Sr. was married twice, first to Mary Bagley (no children known), and then to Lucy Dickerson. They had the following children:
Carter Cox Sr. b. 1762
Mastin Cox b.c. 1765
Ambrose N. Cox Sr., b. 1772
Matthew Cox Jr. b. 1773
Braxton Cox b.c. 1775
Delphy Cox (m. William Roberts)
Aress (Aris) T. Cox.

Carter Cox. Sr. married Ann or Anna (NOT Mary Bagley!), and had nine children:
Matthew Cox b. 1786 (!!)
Ross Cox b. 1-8-1788
Elizabeth Cox b. 1789
Susannah "Susan" Cox
Carter Cox Jr. b. 1805
Charlotte Cox
Lucy Cox
Nancy Cox
Sarah Cox

Their son Matthew was born the year you believe Aras Bishop Cox's father was born ... in fact, this Matthew was Aras B. Cox's cousin, not his father.

The genealogy on this Matthew Cox (b. 1786)is thin: he was married 10-5-1837 to Drusilla Gilham, and they had at least one child, Amanda E. Cox b. 1831, m. 7-13-1867 to G.W. Stigleman b. 1846, but there were probably more children.

Hope this helps.

Diana
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions