Search for content in message boards

Early Virginia Websters

Early Virginia Websters

Lynda Hynan (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Jan 2002 1:04PM GMT
Surnames: Webster, Knowling, Maddox, Powell
Seeking more information on origins of Nathaniel Webster who is said to have been the father of John Webster who married Ann Knowling in Goochland Co, VA in 1762. Their son was Jacob Webster, who married Margaret Maddox in Powhatan Co Va in 1793. Who were Nathaniel's parents? Some researchers have said that his father was Aaron Webster and his wife was Margaret Powell; but there is no documentation. Anyone else working on this line?

Re: Early Virginia Websters

Linda Tully (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2001 6:44AM GMT
Edited: 6 Jan 2002 1:05PM GMT
Surnames: Webster, Ritz
I have been trying to find my gggrandfather's ancestors and think that it may be Nathaniel's line. My gggrandfather was John M. Webster who married Susan Ritz in Van Buren County, Iowa, in 1874. According to census records, he was born around 1852 in Missouri with his father born in Virginia and his mother born in Kentucky. A check of 1860 Missouri census records showed that the Samuel B. Webster (William Charles, Samuel, Nathaniel) family was a match. Do you have further info on this line? Please E-mail me at lindatully@pcisys.net.

Posted: 16 Sep 2007 12:10AM GMT
Surnames: Webster
My Great-Grandfather was John W. Webster b. October 19, 1836 somewhere in VA. He lived in Crapo, Maryland and had 3 wives. He never told his children where he was born in VA. He was an Oysterman on the Chesapeake Bay. Please let me know if you have any information on him in any of your findings. He also had a sister named Frances also born in VA, but the family isn't sure.
Thank you

Posted: 20 Mar 2008 2:56PM GMT
Surnames: Webster
I am hoping there is a correlation. My great-great grandfather was Samuel Webster born circa 1850 in what is presently known as Hampton, Virginia. He was a black man and was an oysterman as well. For years, his family occupied what is presently known as Lincoln Street and formerly known as Grant Street.

Other members of the household were (according to the 1870 Census):
Wallace Webster and his wife Susan
Daniel
Nancy
Anthony
Sawney
Jessie

This is somewhat of an odd question...are there any records of the Webster Family owning any slaves? (Deeds, Wills, Trusts..)

Posted: 7 Dec 2010 4:45PM GMT
Re John Webster of Goochland County, VA. I have not found the answer but will give you what I have.

Some information is published in "Pioneer Families of Franklin County" by Marshall Wingfield 1964. William Webster was the first to settle in Virginia about 1609. He was named in a charter granted by King James the first. Other early Websters were Roger and his wife arrived about 1622 and Major Richard Webster and perhaps his wife Francis came in 1635.

So far no link to our John.

On page 226 it provides that Colonial will of John Webster mentions his mentions his sons: John, Joseph, Benjamin and Danial. His son John and made his will and mentioned sons:John, Samuel, Richard, James and Henry.

John Webster (our John) son of Richard, born in Virginia served in the Indian Wars, and saw service in the Revolutionary War- - -.

John Webster was married about 4 times. In Franklin County his wife was Maggie Walker Webster. That is where my is relatives came in. My guess is that during the Indian wars he came through Franklin County. He was an avid hunter and Franklin county was a hunters paradise at that time.

He moved to the Northwest Territory about 1800.

Hopes this helps. If you find additional info let me know.

Posted: 10 May 2011 7:22PM GMT
I notice your posting was done many years ago. I am also researching the Websters and filling in my Webster Family Tree. I can be reached at ninadi@pacbell.net

Posted: 1 Oct 2011 7:19PM GMT
Lynda Hynan..Nathaniel Webster was married 3 times 1.Margaret Powell 18 Feb 1738/39 They had 7 children
2.Margaret Steele 1755 They had only 2 children.. Jacob & Aggie..Jacob who married Margaret Maddox in 1793.
3.Mary Moore 2 Aug 1783 No children
With this documented I was able to assign the children to the correct mothers from the 10 Public Family Trees" which included mine "English Family Tree" ...This tree has about 21,500 entries. There was a lot of confusion because most of the trees were documented from the Census Records,& this made duplications.
My wife, Jean Brooker is the 6th Great Grand Daughter of Nathaniel Webster....her line is as thus...Nathaniel & Margaret Powell's son John H Webster who married Letty ??? first on abt 1746 and then married Ann Knowline 26 Aug 1762...John & Letty had only 1 son, Daniel Webster Sr b 1750 in Va.who married Mary Polly Vardaman in 1770/71 in Fairfax, Virginia . They had 12 children, one of which was James Chalk Webster b1790 in Fairfax, Va. He married Dorky Jump on 16 Jan 1818 at Pendleton Co.,Ky...Their son, George Washington Webster b 1828 at Grant Co., Ky...He married Rachel Ann Jump 25 Jan 1849 at Grant Co.Ky. They had 6 children, of which their daughter Mary Ann Webster b 8 Aug 1848 married William Moses Jump b 1846 at Grant., Co. Kentucky.They had 6 children,of which their daughter,Nellie Jump b 4 Aug 1881 married George Washington Mc Cormick b 5 Jun 1875 at Grant Co., Ky. Their daughter,Marie b11 Apr 1921 & died 20 Apr 2010 at Kenton Co. Ky.married Walter Middleton, Brooker, Their daughter Jean b 26 Dec 1939 at Grant Co.,KY married me, Marcus R English 11 Apr 1958 at Ludlow, Kenton Co.,Ky. We have 5 children.

Nathaniel's parents were Aaron Webster & Elizabeth ?
They had 11 Children.
Aaron's father was Henry Webster b 1636 at VA.He married Charity b1644 d1700 Va. They Had 7 Ch Henry's parents were William Webster b1619 b England & Sarah May Richard b1624 VA then William Webster b1598 in England & Anna Hartleg b1590 in England...William Webster b1570 England & Helena Firth,b1577 England...William Webster b1533 England &Margery Constable b1532 England...John Webster b1510 England & Anna Dalton b1516 England...John Webster 1485 England & Emett Wells B1491 England...William Webster b1460 England & ?...John Webster 1430 bEngland &?...John Webster b1404 England ?...Esquire Webster b 1330 England
Send me your E mail Address and I can have Ancestry.com to send you an invitation to have accese to our "English Family Tree" I have more information to add to Ancestry.com
so I wil be updating the Tree. Sincerely Mark & Jean English of North Carolina englishmark2@yahoo.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic