Search for content in message boards

Jemison/Jamison families

Jemison/Jamison families

Dee J. Lewis (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 2005 1:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jemison, Jamison
Hi,
I am hoping someone may have some information on the Jemison lineage of Birmingham, I know that my Grandfather Willie D. was born there in August 1925 and his family left in the 1930's and headed to Michigan. I was told by my mother that there were still many members of his family that did not leave the area.
There is a story told in my family that my Grandfather was a descendent of a Jemison male that allegedly sired 30-50 offspring during the time of Slavery. If anyone has any information on this story or know who this man may have been and on which Plantation(s) he may have resided, I would really appreciate knowing because I don't know where else to start, my mother doesn't have much information on her dad and his family because he left her and her brothers when they were all still very young and lost contact. Thank You

Re: Jemison/Jamison families

Posted: 15 Oct 2005 6:58PM GMT
Edited: 16 Nov 2005 2:22AM GMT
Surnames: Jemison
Hi,
I don't know if these are your relatives, but there were lots of Jemison's in Talladega County in the 1800's throught the 1900's. My family were the Savage's and they were cousins to the Jemison's. Do you know the names of any of the older relatives like great grandparents, etc? Do you have Ancestry.com? If not, let me know the names and I'll see if I can find them.

Take care,
Denise

Posted: 31 Jan 2006 8:58PM GMT
Edited: 10 Mar 2006 12:46AM GMT
Watch the PBS Special "African American Lives", which come on February 1 & 8, 2006. One of the families being researched is that of Dr. Mae Jemison (black astronaut) who is from Alabama.

denise johnson (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2006 12:47AM GMT
Surnames: Jemison/Savage's
Thanks for the information. Do you know where she is from? My Savage relatives are related to the Jemison's and Curry's. My Savage relatives lived in Talladega and my great grandfather and his siblings graduated from Talladega College. Great great grandfather, Daniel Savage was a renowned minister and my great grandfather's brother, Robert (Dee) owned The Savage Mortuary wihich is now called Terry's Mortuary. I can't remember the new owners name.

My daughter had her DNA analyzed like they did for the show tonight and our maternal side is from Morocco, then Nairobi, Kenya and there was some Pygmy in the line. Pretty interesting.

Posted: 2 Feb 2006 1:12AM GMT
The story says that she was born in Decatur, Alabama. If you go to the "African American Lives" profiles and click on "Analyzing the Evidence" there is a letter transcribed from a slave's account on life on the Jemison plantation. I believe the slave is Dr. Jemison's ancestor.

Good luck with your search.

Posted: 2 Feb 2006 7:23AM GMT
Thank you and good luck with yours.

Take care.

Dee Lewis (View posts)
Posted: 2 Feb 2006 4:55PM GMT
Surnames: jemison, jamison
Thanks for the information.

Posted: 2 Feb 2006 9:44PM GMT
I just read the full story on Mae Jemison. Her family was enslaved in Talladega County, Alabama.

This must be a connection for you.

If you want I can look at the census to check for names.

Posted: 3 Feb 2006 4:29AM GMT
Hi,
Thanks for the info. I checked on ancestry.com and I found her family. I guess we're cousins. What a nice surprise.

Take care,
Denise

Posted: 12 Aug 2013 3:48AM GMT
Surnames: Jemison / Jamison
Hello;
My name is Herbert Wheeler. I am one of the Grandsons of Hannah Jemison Wheeler. My Grandmother was the oldest of 21 living siblings who grew up mainly in Montgomery, Alabama. Once you respond to my message, I will be more than happy to help you with your research.

Kind Regards,
Herbert Wheeler
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions