Search for content in message boards

What county is Hibbing in?

What county is Hibbing in?

Posted: 26 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 4:21AM GMT
Surnames: Champion
I am wondering what county Hibbing is in because I was told that my great-grandfather was killed while working in the iron mines at Hibbing. If I knew what county, I maybe could search out the death records and find out a little more information about where he was born, etc. Hopefully they kept records into the 1800's too. I would like to thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Cheryl

Hibbing, MN

Posted: 27 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 7:24AM GMT
Hello Cheryl

You asked about the county Hibbing was in--by using the URL below, you can enter the town and state and see not only the county, but get information for any websites applicable. Hibbing is in St. Louis County, which has a terrific website and mailing list. There is a death index which you can check out to see if your ancestor is listed.
Hope this helps you!

Hibbing, MN

Posted: 1 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 4:21AM GMT
Thanks for the info. I sure appreciate it. I'm sure that I might be able to find my ancestor since he was killed in the iron mines there. Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Cheryl

Re: What county is Hibbing in?

Posted: 28 Jun 2001 4:04AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2001 4:45AM GMT
I live near Hibbing and would be happy to help you.What was your gr grandfather's name?When did he live in Hibbing?

Posted: 29 Jun 2001 4:24AM GMT
Surnames: Chempion
Hi Mary,
My grandfather was born in Ely, Minn. and my great-grandfather died in the Hibbing iron mine in 1913. I found out that those were in St. Louis County and since then have searched rootsweb and think I found my grandfather's birth record and my great-grandfather's death record. Now I just have to find out how I can send for these records to have copies of them. I am looking for the Champion family. My grandfather's name was William Henry Champion born in Ely , Minn. in 1897. Although the record says that he was born on December 31, 1897, his actual birthdate was December 29, 1897. My great-grandfather was killed in a mining accident in the Hibbing mine. His name was Thomas Champion. According to the death records of St. Louis County, there were 2 Thomas Champions that died about a year apart. One in 1912 in Ely, and the other in 1913 in Hibbing. Upon finding this out, I found someone that would do mining accident lookups and she emailed me and said that it was the one in 1913 in Hibbing. She gave me the mine name too. I wasn't sure if Hibbing and Ely are next to each other or not so that is why I chose to find out which one was my great-grandfather. I assumed that only one had died in a mining accident. Now I am searching for my great-grandmother's death record. The information that I have says she died in 1926 but I don't know where. Her name was Elizabeth (Rodgers) Champion. My mother tells me that she was living with one of her sons and a daugher-in-law at the time of her death but I don't know if it was in Hibbing or not. Is there some way I could find out if she got some sort of pension from the mining company from her husband's accident? I don't know where to look. I am located in Michigan and haven't been to that area since I was 6 years old. That happens to be about 39 years ago. I don't know if there are more than one mines in that area or not. I sure would appreciate any help that you might offer on any lookups in that area.

Thank you very much,
Cheryl Butts

Patricia LeBeau (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2001 2:27PM GMT
Surnames: Fehlmann
Hi Mary,
I think I made a mistake on where Gustav Fehlmann moved to from Lake Emma - it may have been Hibbing. Could you check the death records to see if the died there after 1910? I think he was still in Lake Emma then, though his brother was not, or at least not listed in the federal census that year. They lived on adjoining farms. Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheryl Butts (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2001 11:20PM GMT
I think that something got screwed up here. I don't think that this message was intended for me. Please check the email address of the recipient and re-reply. This is not someone that I am familiar with. Sorry for any inconvienence.

Cheryl

Hibbing, MN

Posted: 12 Feb 2003 6:34AM GMT
Could someone do a lookup for me to check if there is a burial listing for Hibbing Park Cemetery. My cousin is buried there. Name:Bertha Burns born 5 Juy 1883: death 11 Nov 1962. I would like to find out the name of the mortuary company that handled her burial as well. Her death certificate indicates she was a widow at the time of her death.

Posted: 18 Dec 2012 1:04AM GMT
Surnames: CHAMPION
Source:
Minnesota’s Mining Accidents, 1900-1920, and Mining Deaths, 1889-1990 by Stina B. Green, published by Park Genealogical Books (1995), page 16

Hibbing, MN. On June 11th, 1913, Thomas Champion, a Master Mechanic at the Buffalo-Susquehanna Mine, was instantly killed by falling down the pump shaft. With a helper he was lowering some four inch pipe from the old pump station to a new one about sixty feet below. A small puffer engine was used for hosting and lowering purposes. They had lowered some pipe and supposed it was on the bottom and started down the shaft to take it our, but when they were on the second ladder from the bottom they noticed that the pipe was caught in the shaft. Champion then told his helper to go to the bottom and wait while he went up and released the pipe, they were separated just a few moments when the helper heard something fall and continuing to the bottom found the deceased lying there dead. Nationality, English; age 55, and married.

This is all the information that I have on this accident.

From Jerry,
http://www.genealogy.com/users/s/h/e/Jerry-Sherard/ “Mining Accidents U.S., Canada, New Zealand and Australia”
per page

Find a board about a specific topic