Search for content in message boards

Descendants of George C P BAKER and Maggie GIBBS

Descendants of George C P BAKER and Maggie GIBBS

Posted: 19 Jun 2007 4:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for descendants of George C.P. BAKER and Margaret "Maggie" Wallace GIBBS. Specifically, looking for a descendant that may have ancestor information on Maggie GIBBS.

Margaret Wallace GIBBS, d/o Thomas Newman and Eliza Isabella (HARRIS) GIBBS of Hancock Co., KY. She was b. 22 Apr, 1844 (prob. Hancock Co., KY); d. 7 Dec. 1925, Daviess Co., KY; m. 16 Oct., 1866, Hancock Co., KY.

George and Maggie had these children:

Louella Alice (1872-1926), m. Bedford TEMPLE (1 dau)
Nettie Bennett (1875-1948), m. Clarence TEMPLE (1 son)
Clifton Penn (1880-1973), m. Maggie B. GRAVES (1 dau,4 sons)
Albert Chambers (1883-1970), m. Jeanetta BIRKHEAD (1 dau)
Samuel Jolly (1888-1977), m. Lucy McKINNEY

The son/dau count is based on what I have found in census records. There may be more.

Any details appreciated.

Jane Gibbs Wheaton

Re: Descendants of George C P BAKER and Maggie GIBBS

Posted: 24 Jun 2007 4:48AM GMT
The Genealogical Society of Hancock County produces a newsletter, the editors of which are George Lee Gibbs and Mary Gibbs. I think Mr. Gibbs' roots in Hancock Co. go back quite far. They list an email address of hcarchives@tds.net.

Dick Stephens

Posted: 24 Jun 2007 2:25PM GMT
Hi Dick,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am aware of George and Mary Gibbs. George and I are on the same branch but different twigs. I think our common ancestor is Thomas Newman Gibbs (my gg-grandfather, but might be a different generation for him), or, he may descend from Thomas' brother, Wormley, - not sure at the moment. Thomas had four children by his first wife (Kitty Davis). She apparently died as the result of childbirth since her death date is two days after the birth date of the 4th child. His second wife (Rebecca Bruner) died 6 mos. after they married (1840). His third wife, Eliza Isabella "Belle" Harris was my gg-grandmother. They married in 1841.

Thomas and Belle had two children that I know of that survived to adulthood and married - my g-grandfather, Edward Harris and Margaret "Maggie" Wallace (who married George C P Baker). My siblings and I are the only descendants of Edward Harris and I am "it" as the family historian. I have 5 children for Maggie and George Baker: Loella Alice (Bedford Temple), Nettie Bennett (Clarence Temple), Clifton Penn (Maggie Graves), Albert Chambers (Jeanetta Birkhead) and Samuel Jolly (Lucky McKinney).

My focus is to find the parents and/or siblings of Eliza Isabella Harris. Harris is a very difficult surname to research. That is why I am trying to locate descendants of Maggie (Gibbs) Baker, or any descendant of Thomas Newman Gibbs (or anyone on the planet) that might have knowledge of Belle's ancestry.

If anyone who is reading this has differing information, please let me know.

Jane Gibbs Wheaton

Posted: 10 Jul 2007 3:05PM GMT
Jane, please contact me at beckyvaught@hotmail.com I can tell you how to contact a descendant.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions