Search for content in message boards

Schneiders from Russia

Schneiders from Russia

Harv Schmidt (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2004 3:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for ancestral connections to German/Russian Schneider decendants from Alt Messer colony in province of Saratov Russia circa 1775 to 1850's. My g/g/g/ grandmother was Ernestina Schneider and was likely born around 1820 in Alt Messer - married Johann Peter Schmidt. Son; also named Johann Peter, married and moved with family to USA in 1893.

Harv Schmidt

Re: Schneiders from Russia

Posted: 5 Sep 2004 9:47PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2005 12:13AM GMT
Surnames: BOHL, SCHNEIDER, HUCK, NEUBAUER
Conrad Bohl b 8 Jan 1856 at Huck, Russia. Married in 1878 at Alt Messer Katherine Schmidt, b 21 Feb 1856, Their daughter Catherine b 11 June 1884 stayed in Messer Russia.
The family first came to Us 1907. In 1911 Mother & dau went back to Russia for 1 year - daughter stayed there. Mother joined Conrad and son Jacob in US abt 1912 - located at Blackfoot, ID for 3 years. Conrad's son-in-law Adam SCHNEIDER took care of him at his last illness in Lincoln, NE. (died in 1929).
I THINK the 2 BOHL daughters, Charlotte and Elizabeth (twins) were Adam Schneider's wives. They had 3 daughters by Charlotte. After she died, he married Elizabeth, had a son named Jacob. Family states these 2 Bohl twins are buried in Blackfoot, ID. I have more info.

Harv Schmidt (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2004 7:48PM GMT
Hi Ruth,

Thank you for your reply to my query.

I have not had much success in finding info for Alt Messer (Ust Zolicha) or Neu Messer (Lysanderdorf) on the internet.

I am wondering where you found Katherine Schmidt as she may well be related to my g/g grandfather Johann Peter. He was born 4 Oct 1848 in Alt Messer and moved to Neu Messer with his parents when he was 15 yrs old. Since there is only a 7 yr. spread between Katherine and J.P. they may well be siblings or cousins?

I would also be interested in Adam Schneider's ancestry. Does it also go back to Alt Messer or Neu Messer? The Ernestina Schneider I seek was likely born in Alt Messer around 1810 - 1830. I have no info on her parents or siblings.

Harv

Any additional info you may provide would be very much appreciated.

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 7:04PM GMT
We could possibly be related, but don't know for sure. 5 brothers - Jacob, Bernard, Anton, Joseph & Karl Schneider - emigrated with their families from Saratov/Obermonjou area to the US around 1907/08 and then Canada in 1914. I don't know their parents' names, but do know that their father died in Russia approx 1892; mother remarried and had a daughter. I'd love to know if you could somehow connnect me with your Saratov Schneiders!

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 3:32AM GMT
Hi Karen,
I do not have much info on the Schneider clan other than they were from Alt Messer colony WSW of Saratov. Obermonjou is on the East side of the Volga, ENE of Saratov so it is unlikely we are related. I did a quick look in the 1907/08 ship manifests but did not locate your ancestors on any ship list for that time period.
There is an Anton and a Bernard Schneider listed in the B.C. death online death index that may be sons or grandsons of your ancestors?
Good luck in your search!
Harv

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 5:52AM GMT
Thanks for your reply!
My Schneider brothers may not have originally come from Obermonjou, because I have varying sources that say they were born in Kiev, Odessa and/or Obermonjou, so you never know. (I haven't yet actually found any birth records for them in Obermonjou. I thought it likely to be Obermonjou because Philomena Dechant, Anton's wife, was from there, but I could be wrong.)

Bernard (1881-1940, married Catherine Klaus) and Anton (1883-1966, married Philomena Dechant) stayed in Alberta, so that's not them in the BC death records, but Jacob (1879- , married ?), Joseph (1887- , married ?) & Karl (1890- , married Pauline Boos) moved to the Okanagan Valley in BC in 1925/26. I have just received info that I still need to confirm that the 3 all died in Kelowna, BC.

I'm actually looking for their parents' names. Their father died in Russia (exactly where, I don't know) around 1892 and their mother remarried and had a daughter with her 2nd husband. Mother & daughter remained in Russia. Their names aren't known. If you happen to come across some info that might connect us, I'd love to hear from you again!

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 12:37AM GMT
Hi Karen,

I did a more detailed search of the vital record index.
Jacob 1879 - 20 Jul 1963, age 84, Kelowna; Joseph - 1887 - 13 Mar 1965, age 79, Kelowna; Karl 1890 - 1 Sep 1962, age 72, Kelowna. Perhaps you can obtain an obit for one of them that may reveal more information on birth location and other family members? You might try contacting the newspaper or museum in Kelowna to see if they may have an obit for them.
Good luck!
Harv

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 1:31AM GMT
Will do! Thanks so much Harv!

Posted: 14 Oct 2013 8:56PM GMT
Conrad Bohl and Katherine are my great-grandparents. Interested in tracing back their parents. Is this information you would have?

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 2:02PM GMT
Conrad and Katherine were VERY common names in village Huck but Bohl was certainly a surname in the village. I am the Huck village coordinator for AHSGR and have Bohl records from the original settlers to 1858. There are no known records for Huck in Russia for the period of 1858-1888. If you will tell me what you believe was their approximate birth dates and also when they were married I may be able to assist your research. If birth and marriage occurred during that dark period I have little to offer. Consider using my direct e-mail denniszitterkopf@gmail.com for future correspondence about this matter.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic