Search for content in message boards

Edna Ruth ALLENDER

Edna Ruth ALLENDER

Donna R. Larsen (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 2002 9:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DOTY, WITT, ALLENDER, DUNLAP
Edna married Frank C WITT on 12 May 1892 at Union Co., Indiana. Edna was born at Richmond, Wayne Co., IN 19 Jul 1875. Her daughter, Hazel R, was my grandma...my mother's mother.
Does anyone have information that will open up Edna's ancestry? PLEASE.

Re: Edna Ruth ALLENDER

Posted: 5 Jun 2008 8:42PM GMT
Surnames: Witt Lafuze La Fuse Aleder Allinder Zallinder ALLENDER
Although it is my understanding that Donna may have passed on, I am interested in finding out the answer to this same question. Based on information that I can find, Edna Ruth Allender (Aleder Allinder Alender) appears to have been the daughter of John M. Allender but appears to have been raised by the Lafuze family in Liberty, Union, Indiana, until she married Frank C. Witt. It appears that she lived with the Lafuze family since at least age 4, according to the 1880 census. I would be interested in finding out who who mother was and the particulars of how she came to live with the Lafuze family, as well as what became of John Allender.

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 3:02AM GMT
Surnames: Allender, Vordenberg, Eck, Elsner, Mohrhoff, Rover, Wacker, Linz
I am trying to find out more about A(u)gusta Allender who on the 1880 census was living with a Kitchel(l) family in Union Co. IN at age 7. I found what I believe is her
death certificate on the Family Search site. It states that her father was J.M. Allender and mother was Sarah Brandt. Could they be sisters?

I believe she was living in Dayton, OH on the 1910 census and then married
Hugh Walsh. They are buried in the Calvary Cemetery in Dayton.

I believe that she is my grandfather's birth mother but have no real proof.
I do have a picture of his birth mother. Do you have one of Edna Ruth Allender?

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 3:36PM GMT
Surnames: Allender Lafuze Kitchell
Interesting ... I have my grandma's pictures temporarily. I am sure that there must be a couple of Edna Ruth Allender. (I am still trying to decipher some of them because they have two sets of notes on many of them.) Edna Ruth Allender appears to have been raised by the Lafuze [Lafuse/La Fuse] family in Liberty, Indiana. Interestingly enough, it appears that the Kitchell's lived near a Lafuse family as well. My theory is that maybe Edna's mother died - I found a John Allender in the 1880 census working as a laborer and listed as "widower." I'll try to get a picture of Edna Ruth Allender scanned and uploaded next week.

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 5:28PM GMT
This is an interesting connection. Are you able to find Edna after the 1880 census?

I will attach the picture that I have if I can figure out the right way to do it on this site.

Jeanne
Attachments:

Posted: 6 Jun 2008 5:55PM GMT
Surnames: ALLENDER Lafuze WITT
Thanks - I'm emailing it to my grandmother (Edna's great-grand-daughter).

As for your question about whether Edna was on later census records, she would have been 14 in 1890 (not available), and by the next census in 1900, she was 24 and living with her husband Frank Clinton Witt (m. 1892, listed as Edna Zallinder) and their daughter Hazel Ruth Witt (my grandmother's mother). On the 1900 census, she is listed as Edna Z. (possibly for "Zallinder" Witt). She is also listed on the 1910, 1920, and 1930 census records, along with husband Frank C. Witt. My grandma has photos that note "at Gma Lafuze's house" and the like, and there is reference to Gma Lafuze as being a "foster grandmother," so I believe that Edna remained with the Lafuze family until she married Frank Witt. She died June 23, 1948, in Union County, Indiana. Frank died in 1942.

Posted: 8 Jun 2008 3:33PM GMT
Surnames: Allender, Vordenberg, Eck, Elsner, Mohrhoff, Rover, Wacker, Linz
On the Union County website I found marriages - work in progress but the A Grooms were finished:

John M Allinder and Sarah Boroughs Dec. 31, 1868

Book E page 273

I also found in the 1860 census Sarah R. Boroughs b. 1849 PA

and John Allender b. 1849 IN

Both were living with their families.

I haven't yet found the two after their marriage on the 1870 census.

Posted: 14 Jun 2008 1:28AM GMT
Here is an interesting point that I found on the Union Co. Indiana website:
http://home.att.net/~Local_History/Union-Co-IN.htm#Harrison-...

Harrison Township communities include: Kitchel and Witts Station.
Kitchel, UNION COUNTY (Harrison Township)
Witts Station, UNION COUNTY (Harrison Township)

Considering the names we discussed earlier.

Jeanne

Posted: 20 Mar 2011 7:53PM GMT
It has been almost three years since this thread began.
I was looking for roots of Augusta Allender. I haven't found her mother Sarah Brandt according to her death certificate. But her father John M. Allender has left a trail. He was in the civil war (57th IN infantry) and in and out of Disabled Veterans' Homes and married twice after Augusta's mother. He died at the Veterans' Home in Dayton, OH in 1919 and is buried in the National Cemetery there. We went there last weekend and found the grave. See Findagrave.com where I posted pictures.
Augusta was living in Dayton, OH by the 1910 census and married Hugh Walsh by the 1920 census. They are also buried in Dayton. Before Dayton she can be found in Richmond, IN and if she was grandpa's mother that would be in Cincinnati in 1891
I have found on a family tree on Ancestry that John's parents were Robert and Hannah Grove Allender who brought her family to IN from PA.
On the 1880 census Hannah still has some children at home and two grandsons, William and Harry. I wonder if they could also be John and Sarah's children along with Edna Ruth and Augusta.
I hope to hear back from you at almamagis@fuse.net
Jeanne

Posted: 14 Jul 2011 8:27PM GMT
I have found that Sarah Brandt was the incorrect name for Augusta and Edna's mother. On their marriage license John M. Allender's bride was Sarah Boroughs. I still haven't found out when Sarah died but it must have been between 1875 snd 1880.
I went to Union Co. but death records/birth records don't go back that far.
I have found out a lot about John M. Allender from the military records and saw his burial place at the National Military cemetery in Dayton, OH. You can see it on Findagrave.com.
Have you found out anything else about Edna's origins?
Jeanne almamagis@fuse.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions