Search for content in message boards

Hehirs in New Zealand

Hehirs in New Zealand

Frances Hehir (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2001 1:54AM GMT
There is only one family of Hehirs in New Zealand that we know of. My g-g-grandfather name was John Hehir. He had two wifes and 21 children, one who was my great grandfather Patrick Hehir. Patrick arrived in New Zealand in 1876 along with a couple of men called Hurley O'Grady. They cleared a dairy farm in the Manawatu, where my family still farms. I have been to the old family farm at Maghera(near Ennis), but there must be a whole lot more relatives that settled in Australia or the U.S.
I would like to hear from anyone that might be connected.

Re: Hehirs in New Zealand

Posted: 8 Nov 2004 1:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Just saw your e-mail. I am looking around for ancestry. My mother Anne Hehir, from Feighroe, Connolly, Ennis, in County Clare. Her grandfather John was born in the same area as Maghera, in 1853, and had a brother Patrick, who my mom believes left for Australia, and was never heard from again. What was intriguing about your posting was the fact that there were apparently Hurley's in the area as well. It may be nothing, but who knows!!

Posted: 5 Jan 2009 6:03AM GMT
Surnames: Hehir, Murphy , Haren, Lyons
My maiden name is Hehir. I live in Christchurch. My father Michael Hehir ( B 1919) was from Boulaveg, Mullagh Co Clare. He emigrated to London and married frances lyons from co Cork. His parents were Thomas Hehir and Bridget Murphy ( m about 1902) and they had 7 children. My great Uncle was Denis Hehir - Parish Priest of Miltown Malbay about 1947.
On the other side Bridget Murphy's parents were Patrick Murphy and Nancy Haren ( M about 1860)

Posted: 20 Jul 2009 12:21PM GMT
Surnames: Hehir and Hurley
Apparently we must be related as my GG Grandfather was John Hurley who arrived out here with your G Grandfather Patrick Hehir. One of Johns sisters married Patrick. My grandmother was one of Johns daughters.........Kathleen Outtrim nee Hurley. Would love to have any info that you have on the family/families.

Posted: 9 Feb 2010 4:05AM GMT
My G G Grandmother was Margaret Hehir from Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare, Ireland. She emigrated to Australia in 1858 and married Patrick Murphy (also from Miltown Malbay) in Geelong VIC they later settled in Mt. Egerton VIC Australia. Perhaps there is a link back to Ireland?

Posted: 25 Apr 2011 2:12AM GMT
Hi Penelope, looks like we are very distantly related.

My great grandmother, Margaret Hurley was one of John Hurley's daughters (the eldest). I have found a bit of info on that side of the family that I could share with you if you could contact me.

Posted: 25 Apr 2011 2:17AM GMT
Sorry, I've managed to go back as far as 1780 but not following the Hurley line! My mistake. :D

I'd love to know more about where the Hurley's came from. I know they were from Cork, but wondered if it could be narrowed down futher.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions