Search for content in message boards

Nickens Indian Ancestry

Nickens Indian Ancestry

Posted: 17 Jul 2001 4:01PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 2 Aug 2001 12:01AM GMT
Surnames: Shewcraft/Shoecraft, Strother
Please give more information about the name SHOECRAFT and the origins. I am a Shewcraft/Shoecraft descendant and have noted intermarriages of Shoecrafts and Nickens in Wilson and Robertson Counties TN. Thus far, I have been unable to document any connection to my line, which I believe to have begun in Princess Anne County, VA and migrated across the line to Hertford County, NC and on to Sumner County, TN. A family tradition says that the family was "part Indian". No documentation has thus far, been located. Any information will be deeply appreciated.

Re: Nickens Indian Ancestry

Posted: 19 Jul 2001 3:55AM GMT
Edited: 20 Feb 2002 11:48PM GMT
The Shoecraft family originated in the Northern Neck of Virginia with the Nickens family. Both families are Indians from the Chicacone Indian District. These families migrated together for 200 years. See the "Cherokee By Blood" volumes for an amazingly accurate account of the Shoecraft migration with Tuscarora, Chowanoac, Saponi, and Meherrin families, and of Shoecraft-Nickens marriages in the 1700's. The Virginia Indian Heritage Assn. will e-mail you directly with more info. We are anxious to learn of your Shoecraft family history. James Nickens

Posted: 20 Jul 2001 2:42AM GMT
Edited: 20 Oct 2001 4:31AM GMT
Hi Edna,
What are the names of the Hertford County/Sumner County Shoecrafts that you are a descendant of? They may be the same family who ended up in Wilson County.

Posted: 30 Jul 2001 12:15AM GMT
The Princess Anne Shoecraft are the same as the Lancaster Co, Norfolk Co., Hereford Co.NC and Tenn Shoecraft/Shewcraft. I would love to learn of the migrations of your ancestors. Are they the Indiana family found in "Cherokee By Blood"? It sounds as if our families are closely related, or were so for several hundred years.
James Nickens

Posted: 30 Jul 2001 12:01PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Macon, Shewcraft, Patton, Strother
James, I am just now getting this message. I am not familiar with "Cherokee by Blood", who is the author? I do not know about the Indiania folk you speak of. Any information about the illusive Shewcraft/ Shoecraft/Shucraft Family line will be so much appreciated. Thank you, Edna S. Macon

Posted: 30 Jul 2001 12:27PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Macon Shewcraft, Strother, Patton
My great grandfather, James Wesley Shewcraft, b. 1820, Sumner Co. (Middle) TN migrated to Crittenden Co. Ky in 1875. He is believed to be the son of John Shoecraft/Shewcraft b. 1800 in NC. John is believed to be the son of Simon Shewcraft/Shoecraft of the Will of William Shewcraft of 1783 of Princess Anne Co VA, but migrated to Hertford Co, NC. and Sumner County, TN. No other documention has been located. Thanks, Edna S. Macon

Posted: 30 Jul 2001 12:35PM GMT
Good morning Cousin. "Cherokee By Blood" by Jerry Wright Jordan is a multi-volume set of the records of Eastern Cherokee Ancestry in the U.S. Court of Claims 1906 -1910. I think it is vol.7 which has detailed Shoecraft/Shewcraft info. This branch of the family is descended from Wm. Shocraft and Bicia (Bicey) Nickens, an Indian doctor. This is the same family as the TN family, but represents a later migration into Indiana. William and Bicey are quite likely your ancestors also. James Nickens

Posted: 30 Jul 2001 12:49PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Macon Shewcraft, Strother, Patton
Thanks, Jan, you maybe correct. My only partially documented ancestor in Sumner County is Simon Shoecraft/Shucraft/Shewcraft first documented in 1808 when he witnessed a marriage, and then in 1810 when he witnessed a will for an ARCHER from Hertford Co. NC. I believe his son to be JOHN Shucraft of the 1826 Militia Records of Sumner Co. TN. I believe JOHN Shucraft to be the father of James Wesley Shewcraft b 1820 in Sumner Co. and migrated to Crittenden Co. KY in 1875. There was an Andrew Shewcraft with court record in Sumner Co. whom it appears from dates that he was a son of Simon and brother to John, In Wilson Co. there is a Drury Shoecraft who married a Nickens in Davidson Co. Drury died apparently before the Wilson Co 1850 census. In Robertson Co TN 1850 Census there is a Washington Shoecraft. I have not been able to connect these families. Can you help me? It would be so much appreciated. Will be happy to share what scant information I have. Thanks, Edna Shewcraft Macon, Owensboro, KY James Wesley Shewcraft is my ggrandfather.

R. Lord (View posts)
Posted: 1 Oct 2001 3:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Please supply any history or information on the Indian Shewcraft/Shoecraft family. I can be reached by email at Prihvhvate@aol.com.

WShewcraft (View posts)
Posted: 6 Nov 2001 3:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Dear Edna, going through Google I ran onto your name so thought I'd try to contact you by email. We have moved to Hawaii. We have a son and a daughter that live here.
I see where your mother has passed away, my condolence.
How is Ramsey and youself? I know older, we didn't know of
Curly passing for over a year after. Could you tell me how Ruby is I wrote to her son but he never reponded. I have tried to phone you but you evidently had a block on your phone.
Would really like to hear from you. I know Ramsey has an email address but never have been able to findit. yours William
per page

Find a board about a specific topic