Search for content in message boards

J Thomas Wagnon

J Thomas Wagnon

Posted: 5 Mar 2009 8:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,

I am looking for the father and mother of J Thomas Wagnon. He was my Great Grandfather. J Thomas Wagnon was born 06/04/1846 and died 03/24/1891. He married Julia Eugenia Temple 10/06/1885 in Kimble County TX. He operated a newspaper in Junction City TX called the Junction Clipper. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bernie DeWitt

Re: J Thomas Wagnon

Posted: 22 Aug 2011 8:41PM GMT
Surnames: Wagnon
Bernie,

Was J. Thomas born in Carroll County, GA?

Bob

Posted: 27 Sep 2011 1:21PM GMT
J T Wagnon was born in Mississippi around 1846, but his father Joshua H Wagnon was born in Greene County, Georgia around 1821. Joshua H Wagnon is in Corpus Christi Texas on the 1860 US Federal Census with his son J T Wagnon....this basically all the information on Joshua H Wagnon I have...

Thanks,
Bernie

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 9:13PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jul 2013 9:15PM GMT
I have data on that family group. Joshua Henry Wagnon was b.1825,Greene Co. Ga.,d.1870 he was married to Emily Southerland.
His parents were Thomas Poythress Wagnon, and Harriet Crutchfield Houghton.
His siblings were; Mary Jane, Wesley F., William Cone, John Peter, Eugenius N., Harriet Houghton, Edwin Augustus, Jolar F., Julia, Rebecca, and my Great Great Grandfather James Thomas Wagnon,who was probably the namesake of your J Thomas Wagnon.
I have pretty good data on that group, if you would like to have it. Look for my family tree on ancestry.com under my profile.
Best of luck,
Murray

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 1:13PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Appleby, Wagnon, Galbreath, Bayless
Murray,

Really would like to discuss the Wagnon family with you. Thomas P. Wagnon certainly enters into my research. I descend from William O. Wagnon, b: 1819 in GA, and William J. Wagnon his son. I had thought William O. was the son of Thomas P., but from what you state he had to have been an uncle rather than a father. John Peter Wagnon is thought to be the first to come to America. I have located a Jean Pierre Wagnon in Alsace, France ca.(I forget right now), and there is a gentlemen in Switzerland, who has traced that family back to the 1500s, but while we both think that John Peter and Jean Pierre are the same person, we have not been able to find the documentation to prove that.

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 5:12PM GMT
Surnames: Wagnon
I really do not have any other information regarding J.T. Wagnon, but I will attach a file which will give a little information about his life....the newspaper clipping is from the 2 volume family book of Kimble County Texas....I found the book at the Montgomery County Library in Conroe Texas while visiting my sister 3 or 4 years back.....J. T. Wagnon was my great grandfather and was born in 1846. His daughter (my grandmother) Vela Wagnon married my grandfather, William I. DeWitt ,in 1903 in Kimble County, Texas. The book shows that J. T. Wagnon died in 1891 at the age of 46, and probably of typhoid, because there was an outbreak in the community of Junction City, Texas at the time....My only source that connects J.T. Wagnon to Joshua Wagnon is the 1860 US Federal Census. There in Nueces County Texas, you will find Joshua Wagnon, Emily Southerland Wagnon, and children....J. T. Wagnon listed as one of the children was born in 1846 in Mississippi and is listed as 14 years old....that profile fits my Great Grandfather....I have done some DNA at Familytreedna.com with some success on the Dewitt side....I am willing to do more if it would connect our families...let me know what you think...

Bernie DeWitt
Attachments:

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 5:19PM GMT
According to my data, William O. Wagnon was the son of the first Thomas Poythress Wagnon, and the brother of the second Thomas Poythress Wagnon. The elder TPW was the grandson of John Peter (Jean Pierre), who emigrated, according to Guy Bise, from Switzerland. The village of Wagnon is in the Ardennes Forest near Reims, and could have been the starting point for Jean Pierre, as it is not far from Luxembourg, and Switzerland. His egress, however would most likely have been from one of the port cities of France, Belgium, or Holland.
I did have a transcript of a 1700's land grant for a tract of land in Virginia, in his name (English), which was sent to me by Maynard Poythress with whom I was working on the puzzzle of the Poythress name popping up in the Wagnon line.
You should look for my tree on ancestry.com I believe it is open to the public, and should be accessible through my public profile. I will try to "invite" you anyway, just in case. I'm not really certain how that works.
Contact me again if you have trouble with this.
Murray

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 5:43PM GMT
This could be just a coincidental name, as often happens, but, the Joshua name has a strong foundation in this family group.
Joshua Henry Wagnon's grandfather & Great Grandfather on his mother's side (Houghton), were both named Joshua. Joshua Henry was married to Emily Southerland, so I think you have a match. My data doesn't have any children for Joshua & Emily, but, now that you have given me the clue of the 1860 Federal Census for Nueces County, Tx. I will soon rectify that.
I have sent you an invitation, through ancestry.com, to visit my Family Tree, if you care to.
Thanks,
Murray

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 6:48PM GMT
Thank you.

I was unaware of there being two Thomas Poythress Wagnons. Your explanation sounds accurate.

Where are you located. I am in Durham, NC

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 7:45PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jul 2013 7:51PM GMT
Well, you are much closer to the Wagnon hunting ground than I am.
I live in San Jose, California.
Not so easy for me to look into cemeteries, churches, courthouses, and descendants, from this far outpost of the realm.
That old land grant for John Peter Wagnon was in Prince Georges County (Dinwiddie), just north of the NC/Va state line.
Visit my tree, and keep in touch.
I would like to chase old Jean Pierre across the Atlantic to his home.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions