Search for content in message boards

map of texas cemeteries

map of texas cemeteries

johnny (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2005 2:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was wondering if there is a map of all the known cemeteries in Texas?

Re: map of texas cemeteries

Carl Stroope (View posts)
Posted: 11 Apr 2005 11:22PM GMT
There is a great map book for cemetery seekers called "The Roads of Texas". They are not denoted by name, but locations are indicated by a small cross on the map. It's a great tool for locating cemeteries in rural areas.

Trevia Wooster Beverly (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2005 8:39PM GMT
Johnny, where are you located? Remember that Texas has 264 counties ... no complete map that I know anything about and I've been 'doing cemeteries' for 30+ years. Your best bet is to use several items and be aware that none are complete. The Roads of Texas Atlas is excellent - and they have the same for other states. The Key Map Atlas is excellent and is done for different counties; they change their listing from time to time --- have never been able to get a good reason why! County Road Maps from the highway department are excellent - from Texas Highway Dept in Austin or from the various county highway depts. And then there are people like me who do 'directories' of various counties. Use them all together and you have as good a guide as possible -----
Trevia
At Rest: A Historical Directory of Harris County, Texas, Cemeteries (1822-2001) Including Burial Customs and Other Interesting Facts, With a Listing of Past and Present Communities, Funeral Home and Monument Companies. 2nd Edition enlarged from 307 to 509 cross-indexed listings. Compiled by Trevia Wooster Beverly (Tejas Publications & Research, Houston, 2001).

Posted: 22 Dec 2005 5:53PM GMT
Edited: 20 Mar 2006 6:07AM GMT
It sure would be nice, if someone (GENWEB?) would start a listing of cemetaries using GPS coordinates!
.Allan

Hallie Garrison (View posts)
Posted: 24 Mar 2006 9:46PM GMT
www.findagrave.com is trying to do just that; locate every single cemetery, not just in the US, but elsewhere. They need volunteers from every county to get this done. Signing up is free. Help is found on the forums. I am trying to locate and photograph each and every cemetery and each and every tombstone in my county. Thankfully, I'm not the only one in this county who is contributing. Even if you do only one cemetery, think that someone may be looking for just that cemetery. GPS co-ordinates along with a map are encouraged.

Posted: 19 Apr 2007 11:22PM GMT
I live in California, how can I get a hold of this book?
Any suggestions? Maria Elena Contreras Longoria email @
cmalena2020@yahoo.com.

Posted: 2 Jan 2008 11:47AM GMT
www.topozone.com Click on "View Maps", then click "Texas", then click on your county. It will give you a list of map features, including cemeteries. It's not 100% comprehensive, but it is one more resource we can use.

Posted: 4 Jan 2008 10:54PM GMT
try topozone.com

Posted: 13 Jan 2008 11:23PM GMT
What county are you working in? Where are you sending the pictures you have taken?
Thanks!
Katy

Posted: 14 Jan 2008 12:38AM GMT
I am working in Wilson County, Texas (just southeast of San Antonio), and I post all my photos on www.findagrave.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic