Search for content in message boards

William Cox, arrived Polk Co., abt. 1835

William Cox, arrived Polk Co., abt. 1835

Posted: 19 Feb 2004 9:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Mar 2006 7:24PM GMT
Surnames: Cox, Ford, Sylvester
William Cox, m. Sarah, came to Polk Co. abt. 1835 from Missouri with the following children: Thomas, b. 1816; Deborah, b. 1821, m. James Sylvester; William, b. 1824; Philip Caleb, b. 1825; Elihu, b. 1828; Rutha, b. 1829, m. Robert Ford; Kissiah, b. 1834; and John, b. 1836. Thomas, Deborah and Caleb went to Texas and the remainder were found in the census in Polk Co. and Scott Co. from 1850-1880. Some grandchildren were in 1920 and 1930 census. Please reply if you are familiar with this line.

Re: William Cox, arrived Polk Co., abt. 1835

Posted: 7 Oct 2004 4:44AM GMT
Surnames: Cox, Cantrell, Owens
I am descended from Elihu Cox, son of William Cox and his wife Sarah (Sary) Cantrell. They were married 13 June 1821 in Lillard (later LaFayette) Co, MO by Martin Trapp; recorded in Marrage Book A, page 1-2 of LaFayette Co, MO.

Elihu Cox, their son, was born in Missouri; he married Elizabeth Williams of Scott Co, AR. They were married in Polk Co, AR on 3 October 1846 by Alfred Potter, JP.

Elihu and Elizabeth Cox are listed in 1850 and 1860 Fed Census of Polk Co, AR. He enlisted in Co, G, 2 Reg Arkansas Inf, and died 3 July 1864 while still a private in the Union forces at Little Rock, AR.

Their youngest daughter, Penelope Angeline Cox, born 15 March 1861 in Polk Co, AR, married Thomas Horton Owens, and they were my gt-gt-grandparents.

I would love to echange information on any of these folks their ancestord or descendants.

Bill Owens-Smith

Karla Cox Smith (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2004 2:02PM GMT
Surnames: Cox, Sylvester, Griffith
Their marriage date causes a bit of a problem with my theory. Research has previously documented siblings, Thomas, b. 1816 in KY, Deborah, b. 1821 in MO (married James Sylvester), William, b. 1824 in MO, and Philip Caleb, b. abt. 1825 in MO. Deborah, Thomas and Caleb moved to Texas before 1850 and William, (b. 1824) moved to Hickman Twp in Scott Co. AR.

You have probably already researched the following, but it is my effort to confirm my suspicions that the above four are siblings of Elihu and his siblings.

The William Cox I am assuming is mine is found in the Fulton Township in Sevier Co., AR in the 1840 Census near the bottom of page listed below Jas. Sylvester and Thos. Cox. The children listed are: (and my assumption of who they are)

1 m 0-5 ?
1 m 5-10 John, b. 1836
2 m 10-15 Philip Caleb, b. abt. 1825
Elihu, b. abt. 1828
1 m 15-20 William, the son b. 1824
1 m 30-40 William, the father

2 f 5-10 Kissiah, b. abt 1854
?
1 f 10-15 Rutha, b. abt 1829
1 f 15-20 ?
1 f 30-40 Sarah, the mother

In 1850 Sarah Cox, 44, appears in Fulton Twp. as a widow with Rutha, Kissiah and John in dwelling 68 and Elihu is in 69. William (b. 1816) is in Scott Co., AR.

William, (b. 1824) was in dwelling 157 Mountain Twp. in 1860 with children Silas, Elihu, Wm. A, Sarah E., and James. [names which seem to relate to the father William], Robert and Rutha Cox Ford were in dwelling 174 with her mother Sarah and sister Kizziah, Elihu in dwelling 176, John was in dwelling 181.

In 1870, William and Mary lived in 474 Ouachita Twp and Ruth Ford and Sarah (Griffith, remarried?) were in 480 with Kissiah and John who was widowed.

In 1880 Sarah was living with Elihu's widow in 76 next to Rutha and her son's family.

My point is: I think William Cox, b 1824 is part of Sarah and William's family, so I conclude that the three who went to Texas are also.

Posted: 9 Oct 2004 5:51PM GMT
Surnames: cOX
CORRECTION: The paragraph below the list of children should read--
In 1850 Sarah Cox, 44, appears in Fulton Twp. as a widow with Rutha, Kissiah and John in dwelling 68 and Elihu is in 69. William (b. 1824) is in Scott Co., AR.

Posted: 14 Jan 2005 2:12AM GMT
Surnames: Cox
William Cox was my (ggg)grandfather. My lineage is as follows:
*William
*John
*William Elihu (Abe)
*Henry Marion (grandfather)
*Delmer Henry (father)
I occasionally visit Mena (I was born & raised there), and most of the family is buried in the Rock Springs Cemetery in Posey Hollow (a few miles out of Mena). I have a few pictures of the cemetery but I have neglected to take pictures of the individual graves. I will certainly do so the next time I am there. It is a very quaint place; you must drive through a cow pasture to get to the cemetery.

I am also seeking information on the family. If there is any information I can provide, I would be pleased to do so. I hope we can help each other.
Helen Cox Duvall

Posted: 14 Jan 2005 3:40PM GMT
Surnames: Cox, Sylvester
I was in Mena in August and found it lovely. According to Bill Owens-Smith who replied above, William and Sarah married after the birth dates of Thomas and Deborah, so she could not have been their mother. Information I previously gathered from the descendants of Thomas, Deborah, and Caleb indicated William, b. 1824 was their brother. I believe that Caleb COULD be the other m 10-15 in the 1840 census with William Cox in Sevier Co. Thomas and Deborah (m. James Sylvester) who are listed above the family could possibly be from a previous marriage of the father William, or perhaps they were his siblings. Thomas moved to Limestone Co., TX between 1842-1846 based on birthplaces of his children. Deborah and James moved between 1841 and 1845. Caleb moved between 1846 and 1849. The father William paid taxes in 1845 and Caleb and William paid them in 1846. The fact that Bill Owens-Smith's data did not mention Caleb could be because he left Arkansas at about age 21 and the remainder of the family was all in close contact. It is possible Caleb was not the other male in the 1840 census, but SOMEONE was. I look forward to comparing notes with you.

Posted: 14 Jul 2007 3:16PM GMT
Seaborn Posey married Annie Elizabeth Wehunt Abee. Seaborn's son from his first marriage, Jesse Weatherall Posey married Annie's daughter from her first marriage, Sarah Melinda Abee. My grandfather was born to them in 1891, they both died when he was about 2. Seaborn and Annie had two children together, Charloctor and Charlotte. Charlotte married William Abe Cox and they lived in Posey holler they had one child Henry Marion. So Lottie was my grandfather's cousin, confusing! Don't know a lot about the Cox's but I am a little familiar with the Posey's. Hope to visit Posey Holler someday. Dorinda

Posted: 14 Jul 2007 3:41PM GMT
I asked one of Henry Marion's sons to participate in the Cox DNA project. His results indicate that this William is probably not related as closely to Caleb Cox as I had hoped we would learn.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions