Chronister & Smith

Trecia Griffin (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2004 1:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am interested in getting any infor to be had on Charlotte
C. or S. Smith b. abt. 1848 in MO. md. to James Madison
Chronister b. 24 Feb. 1843 in Ark. They md. in Christian
Co. MO. Aug 3 1867.

I am looking for them in the 1880 and 1900 Census records.
And any other infor. anyone would know about them. In the 1870 Census they are located in Sebastian Co. Ark. she
is listed as Charity. I could not figure that one. They have
one dau. listed as Martha being their first child which would
be right. 1910 she is living as a widow in Pontotoc Co. OK.
1920 she is living with her dau. Martha and I cannot find
her in 1930. I have dying in 1935.

Whatever anyone could add I would certainly appreciate;

Re: Chronister & Smith

Peggy Reeves (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2004 10:10PM GMT
James Madison Chronister and wife Charlotte were living in District 16, Indian Territory, post office: Francis, as of 22 July 1907. James Madison Chronister died before 22 Aug 1908. He was born In Carrell County, AR. In 1907, James lists his living children as: Martha Ann b 1867 MO, Tinzey Isabelle b. 1870 AR, Amedia Elizabeth b. 1873 b. Choctaw Nation, Rosetta b. 1876 Choctaw Nation, Joseph Hiram b. 1879 Choctaw Nation, and William Washington b. 1889 Chickasaw Nation.

This information was given by James Madison Chronister himself on Guion Miller application #42299 (National Archives). His application was rejected, since he was not Cherokee. He claimed that his wife was Cherokee, but did not provide any details about her family, only his own.

Posted: 14 Dec 2004 3:00PM GMT
Surnames: Chronister and Smith's
Hi Peggy,
Thanks for replying to my request about James Chronister.
I so appreciate your input. Do you know how I can find
the application you mentioned? May I ask where you
fit into this family or do you? Thanks again.

Posted: 14 Dec 2004 11:10PM GMT
The Guion Miller applications are on microfilm at the National Archives. As with other microfilmed records, you might be able to look at the microfilm at your nearest Family History Center. Otherwise, you can order copies of applications through the NARA website, which is: www.nara.gov They have an index of applications at that same site. Click on "search" and type in "Guion Miller" and you should be able to find the index.

Posted: 14 Dec 2004 11:14PM GMT
oops, I forgot to say where I fit in to the family. We are not close cousins, as I do not belong to this particular line of Chronisters. Mine stayed in PA and never moved south or west. Our common ancestor would probably be about 6 generations removed. From immigrant Johannes, my line goes: Heinrich, David, Lewis, Sarah Marie, and then my grandmother who is not a Chronister. All in Pennsylvania.

Joyce (View posts)
Posted: 15 Dec 2004 3:50AM GMT
I have concluded that the reason you and I have not been able to locate them in the 1880 census is that non-Indians were not enumerated that year. Based on the birth locations of 4 of their children, it implies that they were in Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory from about 1876 to 1891. I got this information from other researchers and have not personally verified it.

Posted: 15 Dec 2004 12:48PM GMT
Hi Joyce,

Thanks for replying to my message. I believe you might
be right about finding them in 1880. And another thing,
I looked up on the Guion Miller Rolls and found James
Madison listed as being in I.T. State. I couldn't figure that
one out until you mention Indian Territory so that let me
know what I.T. stood for. Thanks again. Peggy is the one
that put me onto the Guion Miller Rolls. That was neat to
look into. I so appreciate everyone's help.

Posted: 8 May 2005 10:29PM GMT
Edited: 12 Oct 2006 1:29AM GMT
James was the sixth son of Adam and Tinzy Garrison Chronister. He was born 2-24-l843 in Sugar Loaf Township, Crawford (Sebastian) County, AR. At age 12 they moved to Six Mile Township of Franklin County AR. His father died in l859 and James lived with Tinzy in Six Mile Township until the outbreak of the Civil War in l861. On 7-10-l861 James became the first in his family to enlist in the Confederate Army. He served in Company B., the 156th Regiment of the Arkansas Infantry until 7-4-1863 when he was captured at the battle of Vicksburg, MS. He was paroled four days later on 7-8-63 at whch time he returned to his family and settled Sugar Loaf Township in Sebastian County. In or about l866 he married Charlotta Cilisie Smith who was born in l851. There children were: Martha Ann b. 6-1-l867; Tinzy Isabelle Chronister b. 1-7-l871; Almeda Elizabeth b. 2-12-l875 who married John F. Vineyard 11-20-l873; Rosetta b. 12-20--l878, Joseph Hiram b. 10-21-1883 and William Washington b. 3-31-l891. After his marriage James continued to farm in Sugar Loaf Township where he received a farm grant in l871 in Section 29, Township 4, Range 32 and farmed it until about l873 when he and his family accompanied his older brother Henry and his family about 130 miles west into the unsettled wilderness of the Indian Territory and settled in the Chickasaw Nation. This region later became part of the Seminold and Pontotoc Counties in Oklahoma where James lived until his death on 2-9-l908 at the age of 64. He is buried in the Cedar Grove Cemetery close to FRancis, OK. Charlotta died in l934 at the age of 83 in Pushmataha County, OK.

I am a descendant of Thomas Jefferson Chronister, the eldest son of Adam and Tinzy.

Hope this helps. Jeri

Posted: 9 May 2005 1:33PM GMT
James Madison Chronister, son of Adam and Tinzey, filed a Guion Miller application in 1907. In it, he had to give details of his family, including his parents, grandparents, siblings, and children.

The place of birth that James Madison lists for himself and for some of his children differs from what the Chronister book says. The birth years of his children also differ. Other records will need to be consulted to see where the discrepancy lies.

James Madison's rejected Guion Miller application is #42299 and is on National Archives microfilm M-1104 "Eastern Cherokee Applications of the U.S. Court of Claims, 1906-1090", roll #324.

Posted: 10 May 2005 3:18AM GMT
Surnames: Chronister & Smith
Jeri,

I have a copy of James C. Chronister and Charlotte C Smith's
marriage record. If you would care for a copy. They were
md. Aug. 3 1867 and it was filed and recorded Oct 17, 1867.
I got the copy from Christian Co. MO. Court House as they md. in Christian Co. MO.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions