Search for content in message boards

jamiesons in england?

jamiesons in england?

Natalie jamieson (View posts)
Posted: 21 Oct 2000 12:18PM GMT
please help im searching for any jamiesons in uk who know of a family tree or even if you know of any jamieson family tree.please contact me by email. thanx

jamiesons in england?

Posted: 29 Oct 2000 12:39PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2001 12:19PM GMT
Natalie,

I couldn't work out ow to email you from this message board but...
a. there are many distinct jamieson/jameson families in the U.K., with roots in England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Then there's Ireland as well.
b. My family (I live in Manchester, England) name originated in Shetland, Scotland, and our ancestors are quite well documented back to about 1680. Most of our lot emigrated to the Scottish mainland, England, Australia or New Zealand when they left Shetland.
c. There are other completely distinct Jamieson families on Shetland. It is a very common name there. But I think they are probably all quite well documented. So if you have links with them you are probably in luck!

If you have any more information on possible starting points please post it. Which country are you in?

You are welcome to email me at pjj@pjjnet.demon.co.uk

thankyou peter

Natalie jamieson (View posts)
Posted: 18 Nov 2000 1:44PM GMT
thanx peter that email was helpful to me.althought i dont have any of those links.can u point me in the right direction?im from skelmersdale nr liverpool and it was interesting 2 hear from u

Jamiesons in England

Posted: 18 Nov 2000 5:55PM GMT
Natalie,

Have you just started looking? If so,
a. there is someone else in the Merseyside area called Stephen Jamieson. Do you know him? (Have a look at http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/latest.cgi?jamieson )
b. if possible, you really need to ask relatives what they know. It's a bit of detective work.

Let me know if you happen to be related to any of the following:

William Richard K.B. Jamieson
William B. Jamieson
James F. Jamieson

If you already know something about your grandparents, or preferably their parents or earlier, the LDS site at http://www.familysearch.org can be a very useful starting point. You may also find some of the Lancashire resources on http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/
useful and http://www.lswlfhs.freeserve.co.uk/ may be useful for Skelmersdale.

Peter

Jamiesons in England

Nicola Jamieson (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2000 5:39PM GMT
Natalie,

I'm a Jamieson who lives in Harrogate, North Yorkshire. My family originate from Glasgow, Scotland. My father is William B Jamieson and his father was Joseph Jamieson. Thats as far back as I know at the moment, as I have just started looking. My father has 2 sisters and 4 brothers (1 still in Glasgow) the rest live all over the country. So its quite a big family but unfortunatly I don't know them all or where they all live. I would like to here about any progress with your family tree.
Good luck

Nicola.

jackson jamieson

william jamieson (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jan 2001 1:56PM GMT
looking for information on jackson jamieson
Grandfather of above
Liverpool England
or his father jackson jamieson scotland
Thanks

Jamieson/Jameson, SHI, England, USA

Posted: 30 Jan 2001 2:25PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2001 10:30PM GMT
Peter: Where did your family start in the Shetlands? Ours came from Yell, Fetlar and Unst, went to Sunderland, England and then to the US.

Jamieson/Jameson, SHI, England, USA

Posted: 30 Jan 2001 4:09PM GMT
Barbara,

My family was mainly from Walls/Sandness, with the Jameson name setling down around 1750 as far as I can tell.

Although one or two relatives on other branches definitely went to the U.S., the only ones I know anything about went in the late 1800s. Most of the known emigrants in our bunch ended up in the U.K. - especially the ports (especially Leith and Liverpool) or in Australia and NZ, all in the late 1800s or early 1900s. However, some people probably went to Leith in the 1700s and their descendents may well have ended up in America.

When did your family go to the US?

Peter

Jameson/Jamieson SHI to US

Posted: 30 Jan 2001 10:40PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2001 10:30PM GMT
Thanks for your note. The family all came from North Yell, Fetlar and Unst, even a number of generations before they started using the Jamieson name. My husband's Gr Grandfather went from Grimister, Yell to Sunderland, England about 1860-61. Three children born in SHI and four born in Sunderland. Only two that I know of came to the US: Thomas and James. Thomas arrived in 1883 and lived in Boston. James came later and lived there for a while before moving to NY. We think we have found info on one brother staying in Sunderland, but can't account for three other siblings (One died as a baby.). And one of them had 22 children! Write to me at my E-mail address, please. Marksnana@juno.com.

Barbara

Re: Jamiesons in England

Posted: 27 Jul 2004 7:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: JAMIESON
MY FATHER IN LAW WAS ADVERTISED IN A PAPER AND GIVEN AWAY AS A BABY! HIS FATHER WAS ANDREW JAMIESON MBE WHO WAS A MINER AND LIVED AT THE SIX ROWS DREGHORN AYRSHIRE - NOT FAR FROM GLASGOW.

ANY POSSIBILITIES OF A FAMILY CONNECTION??
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions