Search for content in message boards

John Sober from Barbados

John Sober from Barbados

Posted: 7 Aug 2010 4:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sober
Hello I am looking for photos of John Sober (1715 - 1755). John and his son Cumberbatch owned the Mount Gay Rum Factory in St. Peters, barbados. I would like to have and/or see photos of John and Cumberbatch. John Sober is my 2nd Cousin 9 Times.
Thank you
Charles

Re: John Sober from Barbados

Posted: 29 Oct 2010 1:52PM GMT
Does anyone know the circumstances behind Thomas Sober and or Isaac Sober departing Barbados for the Philadelphia/NJ area before eventually settling in Northumberland? I'm the son of the Ronald, Wilford, Archie, Harvey, Freeman, Isaac, Samuel, Isaac, Thomas Sober line. We primary reside in the Perry/Cumberland County areas of PA.

Posted: 2 Dec 2010 2:31AM GMT
Classification: Birth
HI Matthew,

Cousin Hope (Hope Sober Conrad) is the best resource in our family for genealogy.

The link between Thomas Sober and Isaac Sober has never been concretely proven. Speculation is based on family tradition, and a baptismal record found in Barbados Records: Baptisms 1637-1800, compiled by Joanne McRee Sanders. The record shows the baptism on April 27, 1738 of "John, son of Thomas and Isaac Sober". Given that two men can not give birth to a child, we know it is incorrect and that the names were translated in error. "John" was very probably mistakenly translated for "Jane". The baptism record should most likely read "Isaac, son of Thomas and Jane". We know this because baptismal records for other children of "Thomas and Jane (Redman) Sober" are listed and the date of this particular baptism record fits in perfectly with the other births of this couple. Also, The surnames POYER (that of Isaac Sober's wife) and MOORE (that of grandson Samuel's wife) are both found within the same records of that island in that same era.
The Sober family of Barbados was a wealthy and respected family active in the import/export business of rum and slaves. SOBER and SOPER are still common last names in present day Barbados, however, most are now the Negro descendants of their former slaves. I have heard that there was at one time a "Sober Castle" on the island. It is believed that this SOBER family of Barbados originated previously from the Isle of Thanet area of England.

It is possible that they may have been Jewish. A book, "The history of Barbados from the first discovery of the island in the year 1605 til the accession of Lord Seaforth", 1801; by John Poyer (brother, I think, of Isaac Sober's wife) speaks very negatively about just about every other group on the island except the Jews who settled near St. John's where Isaac was born. Also the names chosen for children in the family were very typical of Jewish names (Isaac, Samuel, etc..)

John Sober departed England, purchased slaves in Africa to transport and trade to the sugar plantations in Barbados for rum. He then transported and sold the rum in New York. The business was very lucrative for awhile, but eventually Barbados had enough slaves and the Colonies began producing their own liquor so the price of both fell. With the money they amassed the family was able to establish themselves in New Jersey.

I'm glad to see you're interested in the family history!!

Matt Thompson
mathomps@aol.com

Posted: 2 Dec 2010 12:14PM GMT
I have contacted the genological society on both the Island of Thanet and Isle of Mann. According to their records their no Sober's living on those Islands, they have looked as far back as 1400's. What I have found was Leonardi Sober back in 1560 probatally came from Germany. His son Henricus (Henry) Sober was born in North Yorshire, England 23 Aug 1588, Henry had 3 children Thomas (1615-1684), John (1615-1595) and Barbara (1620-?).
Leonardi probabtly change name from Zober to Sober, I strongly beleive he came from Zobersdorf, Bad Liebenwerda, Germany. That is what I have research.
But I am still looking photos

Posted: 2 Dec 2010 2:06PM GMT
Hi Charles,

Did you also search for Soper, Sorber, Soaper, etc.??

Matt
per page

Find a board about a specific topic