Search for content in message boards

COOP / DOW - Yarmouth, Norfolk, 1500s

COOP / DOW - Yarmouth, Norfolk, 1500s

Posted: 12 Aug 2001 4:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Jan 2013 1:58PM GMT
Looking for ancestry on Johan or Joan Coop, (1500-1549) who married John Dow abt. 1527 and had 5 children. Cannot find any info on her line.

Re: Coop/Dow - Yarmouth, Norfolk, 1500s

Posted: 21 Oct 2001 11:41AM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2002 12:33PM GMT
Surnames: Coop
I have an Elizabeth Coop back 6 generations in my family tree. I don't have her birthdate but she married Guiseppe Antonio Meroni after he had arrived in England in 1780. They had 6 children - 4 girls and 2 boys. One of the girls (Cecilia Maria Teresa (b 1805) married Peter Lawrenson in 1827. Don't know what part of England they were so this may not help.

Opal Cornwell (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2002 5:37AM GMT
Surnames: Coop Dow
Hi Jan! I expect you have found all the Coop/Dow info needed by now--I've been helping some DAR applicants and this site has the JOHAN COOP DOW listed. Ebenezer was the relative this lady needed to know about --quite a story about early patriotism.
http://steve.dow.net/roots.htm

Posted: 21 Apr 2003 1:50AM GMT
Edited: 10 Nov 2003 3:20AM GMT
Jessica, Contact John Dow by regular mail. He does not have a computer. Address is 4 Whipplewill Lane/Exeter, NH/03833. He is the person that has written about the Dow line 'A' from which your Dow comes from. Bill

Posted: 22 Sep 2005 11:05PM GMT
Edited: 27 Sep 2005 4:44PM GMT
Surnames: Coop, Merone, Lawrenson
Hi Janet,
Great to find someone else researching the family! I don't know who you are or where you are.
My husbands Gt.Grandfather x 3 was Guiseppe Antonio Merone who was born in the Orsenigo Valley, Lake Como, Italy, in 1771 and came to England in the late 1880s and was one of the earliest immigrants into England from Italy. He met and married Elizabeth Coop(e), born 1777 daughter of Thomas and Betty Coop(e). They married 5.11.1797. Guiseppe was a very artistic craftsman - a respected carver and gilder . He sold his barometers and mirrors etc. from a shop that he had in the Centre of Manchester. Elizabeth died 11.1.1831. Guiseppe died 22.11.1847 aged 76 - disease of heart, liver and kidney..
They had 11 children - 5 boys and 6 girls but only 5 survived to adulthood. One of them Cecilia Maria Theresa Merone married twice. Firstly to Peter Lawrenson on 16.1.1827. His father was also named Peter and he was a Fustian Cutter in Manchester. His mother was a widow with a child when she met Peter Lawrenson and her name at that time was Mary Bradshaw. Peter Lawrenson Jnr died 31.12.1836. Cecilia's second marriage was to Charles Hennings a master engineer. on 5.10.1867 but he died 31.5.1869.

Guiseppe Antonia Merone's other surviving children were Francis Merone born 16.9.1798, who married Margaret Renshaw on 9.5.1820, but he and his two children died young and his widow went on to marry again. Constantia Mary Merone boen 25.3.1803 married twice also but both of these husbands died rather quickly and she was a widow for many years until her death on 13.7.1892 aged 89. She died in Birkdale which is near Southport on the west coast of England. Elizabeth Coop Merone born 9.2.1807 and married Francis English in April, 1836. They had 5 sons and 2 daughters. Francis English was a master cotton and calico manufacturer (English & Co.), employing 80 people in 1851. Elizabeth English died 5.3.1875 of Chronic Bronchitis. The last surviving child in adulthood was Joseph Anthonly Merone born 3.2.1811 - he married Johanna Dowling and they had 4 children but only 2 survived. These were Anthony who along with his wife and child died in an epidemic of smallpox at Bootle, Liverpool, and Thomas Coop , a jockey, who married lived in Birkdale and left 4 children. and who died in 1885 aged 45.

To gop back to Cecilia Maria Theresa Merone and Peter Lawrenson - their children were John Merone-Lawrenson born 2.3.1828, died 2.5.1852 aged 24 the result of a brain tumour allegedly brought on as a result of being kicked in the head by a gang of "garotters" when coming home from choir practice one night), and Francis Merone-Lawrenson, a silk merchant, was born 15.3.1830 and died 10.4.1881 aged 51 in a Lunatic Asylum. He married Harriette Entwistle on 5.7.1852 and they had 8 children in total - 6 girls and 2 boys. . The boys were Henry Joseph Lawrenson who died 5.3.1889 aged 28, and John Merone Lawrenson, born 26.11.1852 who married Margaret Johanna Rorke born 20.9.1855, the daughter of a master bootmaker named Thomas Rorke from Dublin Ireland. and Margaret McGuire also born Ireland. John Merone Lawrenson was a clerk, then an Agent, then a Lithographic Printer and then in 1891 he was working in Cape Town South Africa for the General Post Office. His wife Margaret and his two sons at that time (1891) Thomas and George were living with her father and mother - Thomas and Margaret Rorke in Manchester.
That is about as much as I can do right now but I do hope that you can fill in more details about the South Africa Merone-Lawrenson. By the way the name Merone was originally Meroni, but the change was made through the mistake of a lawyer's clerk who asked whether it ended with and I or E. Guiseppe Antonio Merone replied E - but of course that was his pronounciation of the letter as all languages except English pronounce the letter I as E - so some deeds were made out in this way and it was allowed to pass.

Peter my husband, his grandmother was Evangeline Theresa Lawrenson, born 6.1.1875 - sister of John Merone-Lawrenson.

Regards,

Barbara and Peter Griffin

Janet Lawrenson (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2005 3:41PM GMT
Surnames: Lawrenson/Coop
Hi Barbara,
How wonderful to see all that info on my family. I have a brief outline of the tree but no extra info like who died of what etc. John Meroni-Lawrenson was my great grandfather . He and Margaret Rorke went on to have another 6 children - Rose, Winifred, (no info on either on these, Edith (born 1889), Cecil John (my grandfather (1891 - 1990) - I visited him a few years before he died and he was still as sharp as a tack. He lived at Nazareth House in Johannesburg at the time of his death as was always a staunch Catholic, Joseph Aloyuisius (1893 - 1953), and Kathleen Violet (born 1898). Cecil John married Mary O'Phelan (1896 - 1941) from Killarney (I think) in Ireland. They had 5 children - 2 boys and 3 girls. My father (Anthony Dennis - although I believe he spelt it with one 'n') was the eldest (15th Jan 1918 - 12th Mar 1962). He was a fighter pilot in WWII and fought in Korea. Died flying a small plane. MArried my mother Janet Mary Harris (born 9th Sep 1919 and died presumably from a heart attack on 13th Feb. 1989) from Beaconsfield in Kimberley, S.Africa. Next was Monika Mary (1920 - 1976), then who married Michael ? Jefferies ( I think she was the sister who married him), or perhaps it was the next sister, Maureen Theresa (1922 - 1974), then came Virginia Mary (1927 - ) who is still married to Sebastian V. Hawkins (nickname 'Esvee' and they have 4 children - 2 boys, Larry and Kyran and 2 girls, Beverley and Gail and they all have 2 or three children each. Need to follow this up. The youngest of Cecil' and Mary's children is Bernard Joseph. Born 1932 and presently living in Johannesburg. I don't know the name of his wife, but I know the son, John lives in Cape Town. Saw him recently at my sister's funeral as his wife, Natalie (a lawyer) is the executrix of my sister's estate. They have a few kids as well.

As far as my immediate family tree is concerned, my father, Tony, (as he was known) and mother Molly (as she was known), had 3 children. Estelle Janet (born 31st Aug 1944 and died 15th Feb 2005- presumbed heart attack)), Anthony John (born 6th Apr 1951 died 28th Feb 1976 - killed in traffic accident) and myself (born 16th Jun 1952 and still alive and kicking). I have 2 daughters by 2 different husbands of 2 different nationalities - one American, (and he has an interesting family tree going back to Fulbert the Saxon in about 1066) and an Australian, John Varley Cook ( haven't started delving into his yet). My 2 girls are Jessian Harris Polk (born 4th Feb 1979) and Molly Varley Lawrenson Cook (born 5th sep 1989 and named after all her grandparents!).
Let's keep in touch. This is fun!

Janet Lawrenson (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2005 4:07PM GMT
Hi Barbara,
Me again. Which of Evangeline Theresa's children is your husband's line? I have her marrying ? Ritchie and having 5 children, Eva Mary (born 1897), Winifred (b.1900), Constance Alam(b.1902), Patricia (b. 1904) and Louis Charles (b. 1909).
Have a Merry Christmas! It's a small one for me as I don't have any family around.
Regards
JAnet

Posted: 8 Oct 2008 3:50PM GMT
Enjoyed your history of the Merones. My grandfather was Thomas Coop Merone who had a leathergoods shop in the centre of Manchester. I often wondered whether there was Italian blood in our veins!

Posted: 5 Apr 2009 2:15AM GMT
I realize it's been a long time since you posted this msg. I have only recently come on line with my family tree. I am descended from Elizabeth Coop Merone, daughter of Guiseppe Antonio Merone (Joseph Antony). barbaragriffin20 seemed to have so much extra info. I have been depending on some written family history, and word of mouth. My Mother is now 96. She is daughter of James Thomas Bolger, who was son of Frances English and Laurence Bolger. Frances daughter of Francis English and Elizabbeth Coop Merone, daughter of Guiseppe. So where did all these details come from ? As I said , I am new to internet geneology. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Janice Rumsey4@sympatico.ca

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 1:31PM GMT
HI Janet,
I am tajing a chance here as I am at a brick wall. I am trying to trace my great grandfather on my dad's side who was homas Patrick Gregory. He was born 1898 in JOhannesburg and married a Beryl Frances McKenna. I cannot trace his parentage but is presumably Irish. On their marriage certificate there are 2 witnesses, a E M Hale which is Beryl's sister (married) and what appears to be a C J Lawrenson. The marriage took place at St Anne's Catholic Church, Johannesburg. Could this be your relative? And if so how was he connected to mine? Am tracing the witnesses in the hope they might be related etc.
Thanks.
Michelle.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions