Search for content in message boards

HUTCHISON on Orkney

HUTCHISON on Orkney

Kenneth Hutchison (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2001 3:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Sep 2006 2:06PM GMT
Surnames: Hutchison
Anyone who has information about James Hutchison and Jean/Jane Gunn (c.1850s-1870s) and what happened to their children please contact me. I believe they are my great great great grandparents, and would like to find out more about them if possible. If anyone knows anything about them or the Hutchisons on Orkney in general, could they please get in contact with me.

Thanks

KJHutchison

Re: HUTCHISON

Norman Hutchison (View posts)
Posted: 17 Dec 2001 12:57AM GMT
Are you looking for a James Hutchison born about 1860's ? and what's the Orkney connection ?

kennyjhutchison (View posts)
Posted: 17 Dec 2001 5:46PM GMT
Surnames: HUTCHISON
Well, this is what I know (and it's mostly guesswork). I know for certain that my g-g-grandfather was William Hutchison and he died in 1898 aged about 34. I am also descended (in another line) from his sister Margaret, who is my g-g-grandmother. There have always been rumours that they came from the Northern Isles so I investigated Walt Cusiter's site and found two very good candidates to be my ancestors -

My great great grandfather was born William Wishart Hutchison in 1864 in Orphir Orkney, the son of James Hutchison and Jean Gunn. He had two brothers, James and John, and three sisters called Catherine, Margaret and Ann. The way I see it happening is that William, Margaret and possibly some of their siblings moved from Orkney to the mainland, settling along the east coast and leaving their decendants. Their father James appears to have been a farmer, and possibly the children moved away because there was no land to farm in Orkney or something. As I say, this is just guesswork, all resting on the assumption that my ancestors came from Orkney I don't know a date for the brother James, though it may be around the 1860s or 50s, and he would have been born in Orphir, as the family seem to have been based there. If this is of any help to you, please contact me at some point.

KJH

Posted: 3 Apr 2003 4:16AM GMT
Edited: 26 Sep 2006 2:04PM GMT
Dear Kenny,
My name is Lois Nicholson. I'm doing family research on the Hutchison Family too.
I just learned that the Hutchison Family in Shapinsay, Orkney, Scotland are related to me.
I have some Hutchison family information. I don't know if this will help.
I also found a Hutchison cousin too who is doing Hutchison family research.
I can send you her email address if you would like it.
Let me know if your interested in it.

Yours truly,
Lois Nicholson

Norman Hutchison (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2003 10:33PM GMT
Lois,

I'm interested in finding any Hutchison connections in Fife, Scotland especially from the early 1800's

I'm afraid my Orkney connection is with Cursiter, not Hutchison.

Regards

NH

Posted: 17 Feb 2005 9:00PM GMT
I wonder if this is any relation to my g-g-g grandmother Margaret Hutchison. She married William Allan 16 Jan 1851. Her parents were George Hutchison & Ann Gray. As far as I'm aware she had at least one brother named James. Margaret passed away 1857. She had 4 children with William (Elizabeth, Isabella, William and Ann).

According to General Register Office, Edinburgh records, Margaret passed away in Orphir and is buried in the Churchyard of Orphir.

Warm regards.....Jeff Short

Posted: 13 Mar 2009 10:13AM GMT
My name is Ron Balzary my 2nd grandfather was George hutchison born 06 oct 1793 at orphir Orkney his wife Annie
Gray born 17 july 1790 at st Ola Orkney.
One of their sons John Hutchison my greatgrandfather came to
Australia with his wife Elizabeth Hallybone whom he married in london in 1852 and settled in Victoria Australia and raised their family. If you need more contact me by email
balzaron@gmail.com
regards ron.

Posted: 13 Mar 2009 10:45AM GMT
Ihave a conection to George Hutchison born abt 1781 Orphir
Orkney and his wife Annie Gray born st Ola Orkney so please contact me Jeff.
regards ron.

Posted: 13 Mar 2009 11:17AM GMT
Ron, I'm 4th great grandson to George Hutchison and Anne Gray. Sent you some attachments on your email address.

Jeff

Re: HUTCHISON on Orkney

Posted: 13 Mar 2009 11:35AM GMT
I know it has been some time. I've been doing genealogy on and off for some time now. I think I might have some information for you.

My email is rudyshort2000@yahoo.com

James Hutchison is the brother of Margaret Hutchison of which I'm her 3rd great grand son.

Regards, Jeff Short
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions