Search for content in message boards

4-F classification

4-F classification

Posted: 1 May 2012 4:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
If a male was of the correct age for the draft, but was completely deaf, would they have a draft record?

Re: 4-F classification

Posted: 2 May 2012 2:08AM GMT
Yes they would still have had to register. Maybe if you post a name and location someone may be able to help.

Re: 4-F classification-- Samuel B Martin

Posted: 2 May 2012 10:09AM GMT
His name was Samuel B Martin, born Aug of 1899. He was living in either Pennsylvania or New Jersey at the time.

Posted: 2 May 2012 1:45PM GMT
I do not find a card for him. Don

Posted: 28 May 2012 2:02AM GMT
Looking at databases I find a Samuel Martin 20 b. abt 1900 listed in the 1920 census in parents household (Samuel and Carrie) in Union County NJ. His occupation looks to me to be "Calvary, Private, USA". This census was taken Jan 5 and 6.

In in a 1920 census taken January 25th and 26th at Ft Myer, Alexandria County VA is listed a Samuel B. Martin age 20 solider, US Army. born in PA parent PA.

According to a family tree the citing the 1920 NJ Union Co census as a "residence" for a Samuel Bitzer(Betzer?) Martin, with parents Samuel Martin and Carrie Bitzer.

If this is who you are looking for then he must not have been deaf till a later age. He also would not have a Draft Registration card if already in Military.

Yes, if he was not in the military, even if he was deaf he would have had to file a Draft Registration Card and on it would have noted any disability he had or felt made hm ineligible to serve in the military.

Posted: 28 May 2012 2:16AM GMT
The 1920 listing in Union County, NJ is the correct Samuel. I have only seen an index, so I was unaware of the occupation listed.

Samuel is my mother's father (she was a child of his older age), she told me he was deaf when she was young, which would be in the 40's and 50's.

Well I will have to do some more checking. Thanks for the help.

Posted: 28 May 2012 1:22PM GMT
I see you entiitled your thread 4-f. Where did you get this calssification from. Was he classified 4-f at some point or was this your play on words or the situation.

On most of the Draft Registration forms there was a place to be filled out for the following: Lost of Arm, leg, hand, foot, eye, or both eyes, or is he otherwise disabled. They kept records; because he would have to be given a classification as to why he was not serving. There would be a record.

He could have become deft from the Army, Navy, and Marines. If he served in a capacity where there was a lot of (1.) heavy Artillery fire. Especially if he served in the Artillery. A lot of the guys who worked near cannons were partially deft or permanently in at least one ear. That would be the one that favored closest to the blasting side of the Cannon or Artillery gun. (2.) The constant barage of Artillery fire. (3.) Being shot in or around the ear. (4.) Bayonet wound to the ear blocking off the ear from hearing. (5.) A gun or guns constantly going off at close ranges of the ear.

Posted: 28 May 2012 1:38PM GMT
He would have had to be in on the third draft Registration. Prior to that he would have had to be twenty one years of age unless he lied about his age.

The third registration took place on 12 Sept 1918. You had to be born between 11 Sept 1872 and 12 Sept 1900. Prior to the third registration and the supplement to the 2nd registration. You had to be 21 yrs old. He would probably be registered after 12 Sept 1918.

Posted: 26 Jun 2012 12:15PM GMT
I entitled it 4-F because my aunt, one of his daughters, told me he was deaf. She said he was always deaf, so I thought she meant from birth. Finding out he may not of been born deaf, but became deaf at later age.

Posted: 21 Jul 2012 4:21AM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2012 4:24AM GMT
In am not trying to be sarcastic at all; but trying to find out some definates. Some common ground. What has your family told you or you know what is a definate. That you can take to the bank. Are these definate facts. (1.) Samuel B. Martin and do you happen to know what the "B' stands for. (2.)was he born in August 1899. (3.) He was deft or partially deft. Its not much; but can you take them to the bank. (4.) He lived to be 40 or 50 years old. (5.) Death date??

Do you know his parents name, Wife, and children. Where was his wife from if he had one. They might have lived in the same area. Is there any family stories you can share that might be helpful. Did he ever talk about the war at all.

I know you might have answered these in your own way; but I would like to know what is definate.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions