Search for content in message boards

Matilda Evans Thompson

Matilda Evans Thompson

Posted: 1 Mar 2010 4:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Evans, Thompson
We are looking to go backwards AND/or forwards from Matilda Evans Thompson, a founding member of Poplar Branch Baptist Church. The church was founded in 1886, and my family is related to many of these charter members, but this woman is a bit of a mystery. The "Evans" may link her to us, but we are having a rough time gathering information on her... Any help would be appreciated, as we have no other info on her.

Re: Matilda Evans Thompson

Posted: 2 Mar 2010 2:41PM GMT
There is a Matilda & Edmond Thompson buried in the Poplar Branch Baptist Church Cemetery. You can view their tombstones at: http://www.ncgenweb.us/currituck/cemeteries/index_poplar_bra.... According to the 1900 Currituck Co. census Edmond was born in 1843 & Matilda in 1848. In the 1850 census (http://www.ncgenweb.us/currituck/census/1850410.html) there is a Matilda Evans, age 2, living in the home of Jesse & Polly Evans. Currituck's marriages shows that Matilda Evans (no parents listed) was married to Edmond Thompson (son of William & E. Thompson) on Sept. 8, 1878 in Poplar Branch by J.M. Woodhouse.

Maybe this information will give you a start.

Kay M. Sheppard

Posted: 2 Mar 2010 4:08PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson
I have a text document on many pre-Civil War references to the surname Thompson in Currituck public records. I think the last one is from 1861. I cannot find a Mathilda in these - so she must have married after this time into a Thompson family. But if you link her, I would happily provide you with this to see if it is helpful with Currituck Thompson ancestors. I can be reached directly at JohnLaird9@aol.com

John Laird

Posted: 4 Mar 2010 12:28AM GMT
Surnames: Evans, Thompson
Does anyone know if these two had any children? Every year, at the Homecoming celebration at Poplar Branch Baptist, and the descendants of the Charter Members are asked to stand and are applauded for, and it would be nice to invite these folks, also they would be my relatives in a sideways, aunt uncle sort of way.

Posted: 4 Mar 2010 12:48AM GMT
This is not a direct line of mine but I have this information on them. One son Thomas D. Thompson born 1881 d. 24 Feb 1919. Also buried in the Poplar Branch Baptist Church Cemetery. He was married to Sadie Owens. I have five children listed for them:

Clarence
Clark
Lucien
Winton H. married Pearl Estelle Brickhouse
Minnie married Thomas Raymond Sowers 28 Feb 1929. I have eight children listed for them

I hope this helps.

Jean

Posted: 31 May 2011 1:39AM GMT
My name is Cathy Thompson Mosley. I have just begun researching the Thompson family and also have run into some brick walls. If any of you are possible family members, or have any further information, I would love to make contact with you.

Clark Thompson was my father. Matilda Evans Thompson was my Great Grandmother.. She and Edmond were married in 1870 in Currituck. Besides my Grandfather, Thomas Drayton Thompson, they had a daughter named Sarah Evans Thompson. I have been to the cemetery at the church and taken pictures of the grave stones for Edmond and Matilda and Thomas D and Sarah (Sadie) Owens. BTW, I have also discovered that Sadie married a John Woodhouse after my Grandfather died in 1919, and my family knew nothing of this...and it is still a mystery why she was then buried only as Sadie (Sarah) Thompson... All of these relatives passed away before any of us grand, and great grand children were born, and we never got to know them. We have, however, remained close to our Aunt's and Uncles by Thomas Drayton and Sadie. My cousin, Margie Sowers Stevenson recently gave us some pictures of both Edmond and Thomas Drayton as younger, and older men. There is also a picture of an old woman, who my brother seems to think is Matilda, not Sadie.

The information given by the other people posting is mostly what I have gathered so far. However, I haven't attempted yet to branch out on the female lines. Wanted to get the lineage back as far as I could, then try to flesh out everyone. I have now found that my Great Grandfather Edmond's father was one of the many William Thompsons in the area. He was born around 1789 and was 61 in the 1850 Census. He married Elizabeth and had my Grandfather Edmond and his brother Thomas. William was listed as a Miller. I am stuck here and cannot seem to get further back than William. I cannot find any death certificates, nor can I find where any of them are buried.

I know this isn't much more help for the Matilda A. (Evans) Thompson search, but as I uncover more information, I will certainly try to share it.

Also, my Aunt Minnie Thompson Sowers and Uncle Raymond Sowers only had two children together. Margie Stevenson and Joann Sawyer (Son, Skeeter Sawyer, EMS Director, Dare County, NC),Not eight... I think Uncle Raymond may have had some other children, possibly from a previous marriage...but I really do not remember. All of Thomas D and Sarah's children have passed away now, and unfortunately we didn't take the time to write down any of the information they passed along as we were children.

Thank you Cathy Mosley

Posted: 30 Mar 2012 2:56AM GMT
Dear Cathy,
I have just discovered your post about Matilda Evans Thompson (only a year later!). She was also my greatgrandmother. She was married to Edmond Blandwill Johnson Thompson. They had 3 children: Thomas Drayton Thompson, Laura Frances Thompson, & Sarah Elizabeth Thompson (my grandmother). I have photos of Matilda & Edmond.

I remember meeting Minnie & Raymond.

If you need b &d dates let me know.

Elizabeth Lewis
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions