Search for content in message boards

Garrett Hendrix of Bath County Kentucky ......

Garrett Hendrix of Bath County Kentucky ......

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 8:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hendrix
My ancestor was Garrett Hendrix, born ca. 1798 in Bath Co., Ky. By 1824 Garrett Hendrix had applied for a land patent on 80 acres of land in Adams twp., Parke Co., Indiana. The 1830 census finds him there, a single male, age 30-40. In the early 1830s he sold out and removed to neighboring Putnam Co., Indiana, where he is listed in the 1840 census as a single male, 40-50 years old. In 1844 Garrett Hendrix died "intestate" and his next of kin were ordered to come and settle his estate. The next of kin were a brother Theophilus Hendrix of Kentucky, and a sister Mrs. Icy Davis, wife of Ludwick Davis, also of Kentucky....

Garrett never married. But my g.g.g. grandfather George W. Hendrix states on a marriage application in 1889 that he is the son of Garrett Hendrix and Polly Simmons of Parke Co., Indiana. Garrett lived on a farm in Parke adjoining the Simmons farm. Polly Simmons in 1833 married William Beaty and the family later moved to Clark Co., Illinois.

I have read several message boards concerning a Garrett Hendrix. There was more than one Garrett in the Bath County Hendrix family...but I have the proof that my Garrett is the brother of Theophilus Hendrix and Icy Hendrix Davis. Not the son of Jacob Hendrix as many believe.

Who does my Garrett belong to? A son of Yourath Hendrix, who was a daughter of Abraham Hendrix, the family head in Bath Co.?
One thing I have to work with is the fact that Garrett, Theophilus, and Icy were siblings, all from Ky.

Jacob Hendrix and family had settled in Parke Co., Indiana, as had Garrett. BUT when Garrett died in 1844, it was Theophilus Hendrix and Icy Davis of Kentucky that the court summoned to Indiana to settle the estate. I think this proves that Garrett did not belong to Jacob. Jacob's land where he died in Putnam Co., Indiana, adjoined the mill pond of Aaron and Elizabeth Hart, who was Jacob's daughter. So these Hendrix's were Garrett's cousins, not a sister....

I'd like to hear from anyone researching this family who may have a clue as to who Garrett Hendrix, Theophilus Hendrix, and Icy Hendrix Davis belonged to. I feel with certainty that the Garrett and Theophilus in Abraham Hendrix's Bible record are my Garrett and his brother....

Please contact me with any info or input!

Re: Garrett Hendrix of Bath County Kentucky ......

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 6:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hendrix, Wright,Champ, Melvin, Regan,Simmons
Hi
looking for information on the Polly Simmons family you mentioned.
Been looking for info on Margaret Wright Hendrix d/o William Wright, who died in 1806 Bourbon County KY.
She has a brother James Wright and sister Hannah Wright Melvin, who I think might connect to families who settled in 1808 Madison County OH
thanks for any help with Margaret or her siblings.
Pat
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions