Search for content in message boards

Am I alone with this irriation? I just HAVE TO VENT... sorry.

Am I alone with this irriation? I just HAVE TO VENT... sorry.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 8:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am so tired of sorting out "hints" that are people's personal pictures of "direct relative" (that are NOT my direct relative" ) fake pictures of people that are indicative of what the person "may" or most times probably would not look like... (I am in my masters program in history and maybe I am just to picky but someone who lived in the states in 1820 did NOT dress the same as someone who lived in England at that time... and socioeconomic status made a huge difference - I know America likes to think we don't and have never had classes but we do... )

I am also so tired of trees popping up that are not based on verifiable facts :(... I tend to approve some of them IF it looks as it's possible (such as common relatives, same area or similar) and then research for facts and confirm or delete but GEEEZO PEETS.... for every ONE with facts I find dozens with nothing.

I think that some don't understand that every fact must be documented- cite every source for everything for every person. You never know- you might find yourself with the opportunity to write a book, history of your family or anything and if you cannot proof every fact no publisher will go anywhere near you.

Ancestry makes a GREAT guide that is like under 5.00 with shipping at amazon...
It is called "Ancestry's Guide to Research: Case Studies in American Genealogy" By Johni Cerni and Arlene Eakle.

and believe it or not I am not meaning this as a bash at anyone. I just wish people realized when they do these little personalizations or other things like that and make their trees public ancestry's system thinks those photos are "real" photos. so I have to spend hours each week sorting out these things to get to the REAL hints .... such a pain.

NOW I have to say I would not give up having access to public trees in a second even with these frustrations but with my course load, my very large brood of sons. Just have limited time lol.. :) feeling the pressure.....

Re: Am I alone with this irriation? I just HAVE TO VENT... sorry.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 9:12AM GMT
Americans in particular are not much taught how to think about 'how do I know this is true?' and many fall for the marketing campaigns promoting trees as 'research' tools.

Many if not most tree owners have little idea how to find evidence or what might constitute evidence. Many do not care.

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 10:22AM GMT
You can turn off member tree hints - it's a new feature. I never used them because I never attach other people's trees as a source so I have the hints turned off. You can still view tree matches by using the "member connect" tab - I sometimes do this to get a lead or find records I might have missed. But I never actually attach another tree so I was constantly "ignoring" the hints that would pop up for them and now finally, I can turn them off!

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 10:49AM GMT
Him I like your idea of using info but not attaching ... You just gave me a new idea that again is making me 180 on how I do my research after 14 years of this I have found keeping my mind open to change and better systems is the only way to get so much done... ;),

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 4:45PM GMT
You might try contacting someone that has a tree that looks reasonable but has no supporting info. They may have the supporting info in an offline tree or file.

I know my online trees are a mess due to many years of working with Ancestry online. I know that when I stop my subscription for a small amount of time many things I have attached in my trees disappear - photos, census records, docs. No idea why, they just keep disappearing.

The other issue is that many people DO NOT attach their hard found and self paid for docs and info to Ancestry trees due to all the people who only take and never share.It can become frustrating.

I have even had large amounts of items disappear when I am still a subscribed member. I just do NOT have time to chase after Ancestry every time something goes wrong. I keep the tree private but searchable and let people who contact me know that there is so much more available from me if they contact me.

Posted: 13 Jan 2013 7:16PM GMT
How you work your tree is how I have been doing mine now I had been planning to move mine to live but it seems better to work with others personally than to just allow them to "feed off" it online and I also have lots offline I wrote this after I stopped entering stuff but when people make stuff public with no source and no hint to where they got it from many People put it on world trees and other stuff polluting other stuff before I was a thorough researcher i added tons not knowing and I have no idea how to to confirm most of it now I am starting from scratch.

But of we work together either through messaging or other means we can try bit if we try to not at least some type where we got like I try to say "saw at such and suc site or library" etc it gives the researcher a tip where to start to start their search. I guess there is no perfect system lol ever haha it just sucks when I see something that excites you but you cannot legitimately use it without adequate sources ....

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 12:00AM GMT
Definitely not alone and it can get worse than the ones you describe :-P
http://buwt.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-picture-is-worth.html

frostfree, Idiocy is not limited to Americans. I found a UK tree where the owner wrote "Living" in a death event for every living person. He has left his entire family open to identity theft.
http://buwt.blogspot.com/2012/06/steal-my-identity-and-rob-m...

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 11:10PM GMT
Please help rather than complain. I have never had the opportunity to study or research the proper way to document sources.
I have been working on my family tree since 1985 or so. I started documenting our family tree when a relative gave me information collected from family members at a family reunion. I continue to take some of my 20+ books with me to our family reunions to update and to add babies, divorces, deaths,marriages, etc. How do I document these sources since my info comes from living people?? I have scanned info when I have documents to back up the info such as funeral programs etc.
I work full time and I don't have the $$ to pay for the research info on Ancestry. I am doing well to get my family info in Ancestry.com. I just want to get the info out there. Hopefully, this info can be the beginning of my legacy.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 11:32PM GMT
wellsh - as this is your first post to this thread, I don't think you can reasonably regard anything that has been said as being a complaint about you, or a refusal to help.

Just write down (perhaps in the "description" section of an event) where you got your information. The most important part of documentation is to be able to retrace what you found, if you need to go back to it. In your case, it could be something like, "letter from Aunt Bea, dated July 5, 2009," or "oral history from Grandma Smith taken at family reunion on August 7, 2005," or whatever). I suspect that much of what you know can be validated through outside documents (birth and death records, etc.) that you eventually will find and can add, as you have time and resources.

If you actually are concerned that others may think you lack documentation, you can always make the tree private while you work on it and then change the status to public when you think it is appropriate. If you make it private but searchable, anyone who has an interest in the same people can contact you and ask you questions.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 11:48PM GMT
Thank you. I wil begin to enter that info as I come across it. Appreciate your time to answer.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions