Search for content in message boards

McNaughton & Grant

McNaughton & Grant

Rhoda Ross (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2006 8:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Dr. Alexander McNaughton married Helen Grant in 1825, lived in the L'Orignal area.
Children were
Alpin Grant McNaughton born 1831
John born 1832
James died in 1896
Would like any information on this family
Thanks
Rhoda

Re: McNaughton & Grant

Bette (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2006 9:15AM GMT
Surnames: McNaughton, Grant
Rhoda,
I wonder if Dr. McNaughton died young.
From: Estate Records and the History of Medicine in Ontario* by
JENNIFER J. CONNOR
" Rev. Alexander McNaughton, nephew of Dr. Alexander McNaughton of Longueuil, Ottawa District, applied for letters of administration for his uncle's estate in 1834.20."

Burial
McNAUGHTON Helen (Grant), Cassburn Cemetery, Prescott Co,
Longueuil Township, Ref: KG-924-1
Other McNaugton Burials in Cassburn.
Alex MD.
Alexander MD.
James A.
Susan Maria

Rhoda Ross (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2006 9:54PM GMT
Hi Bette,
Thanks for the reply, the following is all I have on Alex And Helen, I do not have access to Cassburn cemetery records, I checked for a web page but did not find one, so I will send to the Kingston Branch of the OGS for a copy of the inscriptions.
Thanks for putting me on the right Track.
Rhoda

Alex McNaughton married Helen Grant
Dr. Alex ander McNaughton the son of ________ was married in 1825 to Helen Grant the daughter of _________

Marriage Bond -
Alex McNaughton bachelor & Helen Grant spinster both of Charlottenburg, May 18, 1825, at Williamstown.

Children of Alexander McNaughton & Helen Grant
1) Alpin Grant McNaughton born June 9, 1831 and baptised 7th July the son of Alex McNaughton M.D., R. N. & Helen Grant- Lochiel Microfilm M-2246 (or Longueuil?)

2) John McNaughton born Dec. 13, 1832 & baptised Dec. 30, son of Dr. Alex McNaughton, R.N. & Helen Grant - Lochiel or L’Original records Microfilm M-2246? ( this should be rechecked as Duncan McDonald has Birth as Dec 15th.)

3) James McNaughton died 17 Feb. 1896

The Glengarrian, Friday, Feb. 21, 1896, pg. 4, col. 3.
Eternity
McNaughton - On Monday, the 17th inst., of pneumonia, James McNaughton, son of the late Dr. Alexander McNaughton, R.N., of L’Original, and brother of Mrs. John Popham. (or Pepham?)

Bette (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2006 11:12PM GMT
Surnames: McNaughton, Grant, Popham
You might stick this in you back pocket for the moment.
According to http://www.ourroots.ca/e/viewpage.asp?id=603656
there was also a John McNaughton and a Donald McNaughton in Charlottenburg who might related. This comes from:
Title: The centennial of the settlement of Upper Canada by the United Empire Loyalists, 1784-1884 : the celebrations at Adolphustown, Toronto, and Niagara ; with an appendix containing a copy of the U.E. list, preserved in the Crown Lands Department at Toronto
Author: United Empire Loyalist Centennial Committee (Toronto, Ont.),
Publisher: Toronto, Ontario: Rose Publishing Company, 1885

On the Ancestral File (familysearch.org) there's an Alexander McNaughton b. 1817 (which is a bit late for yours) but the dates could be way out so it might be worth a look. At any rate, this is a Mcnaughton family in Williamstown and Charlottenburg so I might check it out.

It looks like the same Alexander is on the IG but with a b.d. of 1782 Williamstown. (that's quite a range for birth dates but the Ancestral File as well as the IGI are not always that reliable). Then again, there's a note about this Alexander marrying a Catherine or Anne Ferguson in 1803 so maybe I'm way off here too.

John Popham is also buried in Cassburn Cemetery along with Susan Maria (McNaughton). So it looks ike Susan was the dau of Alex & Helen. And it sounds like she was still around in 1896. So why don't any of these people show up on the 1871 or 1881 census?

.I'm afraid I'm striking out here - hopefully the burial records will help
Good luck,
Bette

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 8:22PM GMT
This note is over 7 years later... I believe that Helen Grant, wife of Alexander McNaughton MD, was a sister to Penelope Grant, wife of Rev John McLaurin, 1st Minister of St Columba Presbyterian Church, Kirkhill, ON. I also believe that Helen's and Penelope's father was a Sheriff of Cornwall at one time.
Anne Neuman
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions