Search for content in message boards

Newberry/Luce/cemetery

Newberry/Luce/cemetery

Posted: 5 May 2005 8:36PM GMT
Classification: Death
Edited: 13 Jun 2006 6:53PM GMT
Surnames: Larson
Hello, I'm trying to find out where a person would have been buried if they died while in the insane asylum. Would the graves be marked? Would there be a record of the patients during the 1920's. Thank you for any replies.

Re: Newberry/Luce/cemetery

Posted: 2 Jun 2005 4:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
There is a cemetery called Forest Hill that is located in Newberry. I was just there last week. I have a listing of who is buried there if you want to give me a name to look up.

Posted: 2 Jun 2005 12:30PM GMT
Hello Vickie,
Thank you for replying. I am looking for John (A?) Larson. Died aprox 1924-27-age 29+. Born about 1892/93. I also wonder if an obit would be in the old newspapers giving next of kin, etc. Mamie Marshall Larson was his wife. My grandparents. I sent for a death certif from Houghton county but search for 1924-27 turned up nothing.
He may have been in Newberry State Hosp.
Thanks again for checking.
Kathleen

Vickie (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jun 2005 3:40PM GMT
I have a listing of births 1886-1900 for Luce County but the only Larson was August Larson b. Mar 26, 1898, father Aaron, Mother Caroline Ericson. In the Forest Home Cemetery Listing is a Larson John R. (Brother) 1902(birth year) death 27 Sep 1947. He is buried With Harry, Alf, Fridolf(Father)June, Kristina (mother), and William. If these are your people, there are more dates I can give You. Let me know. Vickie

Posted: 2 Jun 2005 5:58PM GMT
Vickie,
My grandfather and his parents were born in Finland. John Larson was the only one who would have been in Luce County after he left Houghton. Thanks anyway for trying!
Kathleen

kblossingham (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2005 3:06PM GMT
Edited: 30 Nov 2005 12:07AM GMT
Surnames: BLOSSINGHAM
Would you look for JOHN HAROLD BLOSSINGHAM in cemetery?
Also what township was the Hospital in? I am researching for John in 1900 census, 1910 & 1920. He had dissapeared from Iron County.

Posted: 12 Nov 2006 8:20PM GMT
Hi Vickie,
My name is Harold Winters and i was wondering if you can help me out by looking up some names that are in the Newberry cemetery.
They would be John and Ann Shiding,Albert Fox,Jesse Fox, Fred Fox,Amos or Louise Fox. or if there is a way i can aquire a book with all that information would also be helpful.You can contact me at notoz10@charter.net
Thank you, Harold

Kathleen (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2006 11:15PM GMT
Surnames: Larson Or Toivonen
Hello Vickie,

I wasn't aware of your reply until today. My grandfather's name was:
John A. Larson, aka Arvo J Toivonen in Finland and on passport .
He was born in 1893 and died about 1925. I would really like to find an actual date and place of death if possible Thank you so much for your help.
Kathleen

Vickie Watson (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2006 2:47AM GMT
Hi, I am sorry not to have replied back but for some reason was not notified that you had asked a question. I could not find your name in the cemetary book. The assylum is located in Luce County, Newberry. That is not really near Iron Co. and I don't know if there was another asylum, but I would look for one closer to Iron Co.

Posted: 4 Jul 2007 5:34PM GMT
Hi Vicki,
the Newberry Regional Mental Health Center was huge. Kept the whole Upper Peninsula as well as lower penninsula. over 1200 patients, as I recall. From my understanding... (I had a good friend whose father was the the of the place) lived in adjoining buildings just off the ground. Families of the deceased were notified, and if no claim was laid to the body, they were interred east of the institution in unmarked graves. This was later confirmed when I had a friend who was a genealogist tell me a story about tracking down the relative of a someone from Houghton who had been rumored to have been committed. Thus, their are yet records, and I believe the geneologist is still alive. She is very good in fact hired by the Sault Chippewas and the FBI to track the Durant roll from the 30's. Her name is Alex Meron and she lives in Manistique.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic