Search for content in message boards

DO YOU RECOGNIZE ONE OF THESE PENDLETON DIST., SC, MURPHREE LINES AS YOURS?

DO YOU RECOGNIZE ONE OF THESE PENDLETON DIST., SC, MURPHREE LINES AS YOURS?

Posted: 1 Feb 2006 5:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MURPHREE

I am working with 14 Powell and collateral family researchers. We are using DNA along with traditional research to connect the Powell's who migrated to Gordon Co., GA from the Pendleton Dist, and Pickens Co., in SC before moving on to TX, AL, AR, and KS. If you recognize one of the following Murphree lines would like to hear from you and compare and share information. Thank You~Diane

The following from the Pendleton Dist SC Deeds 1790-1806 help in idenfying who Mary Ellen Powell's father was:

#381,382
James Powell(called Sr. in Oath) and Ales Powell, his wife, for love and affection they bear to beloved children, Sam Stevens and Polly{Mary} Stevens, his wife, grant all household goods and property now in our possession, also all claims and demands we have against any person. Date: 19 Sept 1805 signed James(x)Powell and Ales(x)Powell. witness: David Murphree, Allen Powell. Alllen Powell made oath to David Murphree, J.P. 26 Oct 1805

This undoubtedly refering to the older James Powell age 45up in the 1800 Pendleton census. Sounds like sort of a will or perhaps planning to move? This James is not in the 1810 Pendleton census. The James in the 1810 census is the James Powell who married Rebecca Bynum, living next to Samuel Stephens. James wife is Ales(Alice?). One can speculate that she was Alice Brewer, a daughter of one of the Brewers who lived earlier in Chatham/Orange counties NC and one finds a few land transactions there between Brewer and a James Powell. This James Powell probably one of those listed in the 1790 Chatham census.

Who was the Allen Powell who witnessed?
Also in deed book:

James Powell, Sr., for confidience in my trusty friend, William Powell, appoint him my attorney to recover all debts and demands due me in Chatham or Wake Co NC Date: 21 Jul 1802. signed James Powell. wit: Samuel(x)Stephens, William Murphree, James(x)Powell.

Here we have James sr being witnessed by his son-in-law Samuel Stephens, by William Murphreeand a James Powell; perhaps this is James Powell who married Rebecca Bynum. The William Powell either his brother or son. James has ties back to Chatham NC.
Samuel Stephens and Mary Ellen Powell Stephens named their sons James, Allen, William, Greenberry and Dison. My ancestor James Dison Powell b.1824 SC. migrated along with Allen, James, William and Josias Powell from the Pendleton, Pickens Co., of SC before 1850.

Re: DO YOU RECOGNIZE ONE OF THESE PENDLETON DIST., SC, MURPHREE LINES AS YOURS?

Posted: 31 Dec 2006 4:04PM GMT
Surnames: Murphree
Re: David Murphree witness and J.P:
This David Murphree can be found in the 1800 cenus of Pendleton District, South Carolina. He is the son of Daniel Murphree of Chatham Co North Carolina. David moved to Rhea Co Tennessee, then to Walker Co Alabama by 1830 and to Yalobusha Co Mississippi where he and wife Jemima Cornelius are buried in Airmount Cemetery. David was a Revolutionary War veteran. I descend directly from David and Jemima through their daughter Editha who married John H. Hellums, son of William and Letty Hellums of Pontotoc Co Mississippi.

Bill Lindner (deceased), noted genealogist and descendant of Daniel Murphree, published a lengthy book on Daniel Murphree and his descendants.

#381,382
James Powell(called Sr. in Oath) and Ales Powell, his wife, for love and affection they bear to beloved children, Sam Stevens and Polly{Mary} Stevens, his wife, grant all household goods and property now in our possession, also all claims and demands we have against any person. Date: 19 Sept 1805 signed James(x)Powell and Ales(x)Powell. witness: David Murphree, Allen Powell. Alllen Powell made oath to David Murphree, J.P. 26 Oct 1805

Posted: 1 Jan 2007 7:46PM GMT
Surnames: Murphree, Powell
Thank you for your response! I am part of a Powell Researach Group who are trying to find our Most Common Recent Ancestor. We know we are related from the Powell Surname DNA Project. We have traced the lines back from Gordon Co., GA and Rhea, TN to NC. One of our members is a descendant of the James Powell who married Mazdy Murphree. I have forwarded your message to him. We also have a donor for the James Powell 1759 through his son Green powell. We believe the Allen Powell who was witness for James and Ales was our Allen Powell 1789 NC.who migrated from NC>SC>Gordon Co., GA. along with Josias Powell. Thank You Again,~Diane

Posted: 2 Jan 2007 1:34PM GMT
Surnames: Murphree
A previous reply notes the work of a researcher on David and Jemima Murphree. In fact, there is a huge body of work by many researchers on this line. My wife is a direct descendent of David and Jemima. I have no idea whether anyone has connected the Murphrees in S.C. to the Powells in S.C.

Posted: 3 Jan 2007 2:31PM GMT
My Murphree connection is Mazdy Murphree(b1790-92) married James Powell(b1787) They were married in Pendleton Dist in 1807 by David Murphree. Of what kin David was to Mazdy has not been proven. James Powell and Mazdy also made the move to Rhea Co about 1808 with the other Murphrees, notably the family of William. William Murphree could have been her grandfather or perhaps even her father. One possibility is that her father was John, a son of William who died in the 1790's, with William raising his children. Clues supporting this are in the 1800 census of William's household.

While most of David Murphree's family left Rhea in the early 1820's for Blount Co AL, my James Powell/Mazdy left Rhea for Blount in 1832, apparently after the death of William Murphree.

Re: DO YOU RECOGNIZE ONE OF THESE PENDLETON DIST., tSC, MURPHREE LINES AS YOURS?

Posted: 4 Dec 2011 4:27AM GMT
We are looking for Mornen Powell married John Paul Clements in GA or TN.

enopus@gmail.com

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 10:44PM GMT
I am a direct descendant of David Murphree the Revolutionary Soldier and I would love to do the DNA. If you will let me know which company you are using, I will get right on it. My lineage is Daniel I,David,Ransom ,David ,Rheubin ,Will ,Curtis. Sincerely, Chris Murphree Andrews cma9285@bellsouth.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions