Search for content in message boards

Pasco Whitford

Pasco Whitford

Michelle Whitford (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 2001 9:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have came across something that could prove to be a lead in the Pasco Whitford problem! On my Generations Family Tree Software program there are historical records and it list a book by David Dobson, Directory of Scottish Settlers in North America 1625-1825 Vol. 5 p.312 as a reference to the information that in 1642 Pasco Whitford and wife Mary came to the New World. This would mean he was already married at about the time generally listed as his birth date. I plan to get this book and start some research of Scottish records. Have also found reference to this in Mormon documents.

Re: Pasco Whitford

jesse whitford (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 2002 11:21PM GMT
hi, being a direct decedant of pasco, he's my 10th great grandfather, i was wondering if you have reviewed the book you spoke about

Posted: 27 Mar 2003 5:31PM GMT
Edited: 16 Mar 2004 4:51PM GMT
Surnames: Whitford
I have found similar (perhaps the same) info at Genealogy.com from Immigration Records, Scottish Immigrants to North America, 1600s-1800s. The entry reads: "WHITFORD, PASCO; Born in Scotland c1642. Emigrated from Scotland, with his wife Mary, to America. Settled in East Greenwich, Kingston and Newport, Rhode Island. Died in 1690."

Could this be the father of Pasco & Nicholas? Did this book give you any more information?

Posted: 30 Mar 2003 7:41AM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2003 1:51PM GMT
Surnames: Whitford, Dennis, Holliday, Olson
Actually, this is the father of Pasco and Nicholas. The question was whether Pasco was born in Scotland or England c. 1640. This is where I've run into a dead end.

Posted: 7 Apr 2003 3:30AM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2005 12:52AM GMT
Surnames: Whitford
The assertion that Pasco Whitford of Rhode Island came from Scotland has, as far as I can tell, no basis in fact. Nor is there evidence that his wife was named Mary. This seems to come from old (and apparently unverifiable) LDS data.
I have searched a vast number of original Rhode Island and Massachusetts town and colony records for the early Whitford family for the last 5 years in preparation for a book on the family. There is simply very little data on Pasco Whitford beyond the fact that (1) he is first seen in New England in 1680 in a Newport tax list; (2) he is next mentioned as a beneficary in an East Greenwich will in the early 1680s; (3) he or his son Pasco is made a freeman of East Greenwich in 1689; (4) he probably died in 1690.

He is not found mentioned in early lists of participants in King Phillip's War of 1676, and so I doubt he was resident in Rhode Island much before 1680. Early family historians of the Whitfords believe he was from Cornwall, England, since both the Whitford and Pasco families are numerous there (the assumption being that he bore for his first name a common surname of that English county).

I have visited his reputed gravesite on the East Greenwich-West Greenwich town line in the old (and now heavily overgrown) Whitford-Tarbox Cemetery. There is a very early gravestone with the inscription "PW/1690" still visible (though a mature tree now grows from Pasco's supposed grave). Many other members of the early generations of the Whitford family are also buried there, although the gravestones only show initials and dates and are now very difficult to read.
There are no land records found for Pasco Whitford, but it is interesting that in 1690 he was settled on the wilderness edge of what was then the relatively "new" town of East Greenwich (the present-day town of West Greenwich was established through land grants about 20 years later).

Any information on the early Whitfords, especially original records, would be gratefully appreciated.

Posted: 13 May 2003 2:35AM GMT
Edited: 19 Aug 2003 10:24PM GMT
Hi Matthew, how are you related to Pasco? I am a descendant -- my great-grandmother was a Whitford. I also visited and photographed Pasco's gravesite -- after long searching on two different days! A typed history of East Greenwich at the East G library has some interesting info about the Whitford house and land, later bought by the Tarbox family (who also share that cemetery). There is speculation that the fireplace of the Tarbox house, which still stands, was built with stone from the Whitford house, and possibly even the house itself was moved from the Whitford property across the street. Have you read about that? BTW, I have also visited and photographed other early Whitford gravestones.

Posted: 18 May 2003 3:41AM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2005 12:52AM GMT
Hi Lois,
I am not entirely sure how I am related to the Rhode Island Whitfords--a mystery that I doubt I shall ever solve but that was the catalyst for what turned out to be a great deal more genealogical research than I had anticipated. I am descended from John Whitford (b. probably 1720-1730), who m. at Rehoboth, MA in 1750 Dorcas Goff, and through John's son, Joseph Whitford, who moved to Dudley, MA around the time of the Revolution, and then died in nearby Sturbridge, MA (where I grew up) in 1827. Joseph was my grandmother's g-g-grandfather. I have never been able to find evidence identifying John Whitford's parents, but after 5 years of researching the Rhode Island Whitfords I am still of the opinion he was a fourth-generation descendant of Pasco1, and probably the son of Joseph3 Whitford (Pasco2, Pasco1) and wife Sarah Wightman of North Kingstown (just across the bay from Rehoboth). John Whitford named his first two children Joseph and Sarah, and he was certainly about the age to have been their son. As you may know, the North Kingstown birth records were badly burned in a 19th century fire, and so we have a number of 4th generation Whitfords who can't be definitively connected to parents. I have searched many, many early RI town records, as well court records, probates, land evidences, and other materials, attempting to straighten out the family lines, with very limited success. I have compiled so much data on the first 4-5 generations of the family that my brother and I have decided to publish as soon as I can finish assembling all the material into readable sketches.

It is nice to know that someone else had a difficult time finding Pasco's grave! It took me two different trips, too!
And, yes, I have seen the history of the Whitford house and lands at the EG library, much of it assembled (I think) by local genealogist Violet Kettele--it is very interesting and valuable!

Feel free to email me at mpshamp@safe-mail.net. I would love to know more about your Whitford ancestry.

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 7:54PM GMT
My husband is a Higman and his Grandmother Cora Whitford is a descendant of Pasco Whitford. Oliver Whitford came to Edwards NY from RI and started the family line here.
What line are you from?

Posted: 29 Mar 2014 8:58PM GMT
Surnames: Pasco Whitford
I too have been having trouble with finding out when and where Pasco came from and arrived in Rhode Island. The information I have is Truro ,Cornwall, England. But I also did come across similar information on a Scottish site, and the reply I got from what the person found is what you mentioned above..
And somewhere I discovered that Pasco's father was possible named Peleg. Has anyone ever come across that name in the search as well.
I would be interested to find out if you found out any more information from the book by Dobson.
If anyone has since come up with any information since these threads I would love to see it.
thanks
per page

Find a board about a specific topic