Search for content in message boards

OneGreatFamily.com TRICKERY/SCAM

OneGreatFamily.com TRICKERY/SCAM

Don Quick (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2006 3:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
You may have seen a smilar note from me elsewhere but I cant find it so am resubmitting due to its importance.

Too late, I decided to check out this company and found that several others had complained on this site. For the record, their 7 day free trial is a scam. Once you sign up ( for the free trial) you must go through a 4-5 step process to cancel the free trial. The website tells you to call a specific number, and the answering machine says they will call you back. They don't call back. They sometimes send e mails to acknowledge your call, but if it is to request a cancellation they tell you to do 1-2 steps, then that is followed up with another email telling you what else you have to do. I didn't comply with all the fine print and was billed for 3 months before they finally acknowledged my phone calls and e mails. Then to make matters worse, I called one day after my billing cycle (the 6th of the month) so they want me to pay an additional one month, but admit I canceled on the 7th.

Re: OneGreatFamily.com TRICKERY/SCAM

Posted: 4 Feb 2007 7:49PM GMT
Contact your credit card company. They will dispute the charges for you. Need to fill in a few forms with explanation. Likely get your money back.

Posted: 3 Mar 2009 7:00PM GMT
I agree totally with the Onegreatfamily.com Scam. They got me for a whole years membership. The site is not worth a hill of beans. Nothing works, not the ged upload, family dashboard (a joke) or information tracker. They keep sending emails about all the matches they have made for me but when I log on they have not even loaded my family tree. They keep telling me I only have a 8 member tree when I uploaded a 850+ ged. Can not even input information manually, I can not even get the correct mother listed for myself! Too many "conflicts" They have all these blog "testimonials" but try to register or post on those blogs and you cant

Please do not get taken in by them as I did!

Please

Posted: 5 May 2009 11:34AM GMT
Wow - I wish I had found these comments before I got sucked in - I thought I was registering for a 7 day trial and found out that I had been charged for 12 months subscription after only checking out the site for three hours. I cancelled but was told I had subscribed so I was charged. Everything everyone has said about the site is correct - the whole concept is about getting matches to your tree but the facility for uploading is useless - it couldn't upload my tree - which is why I cancelled but it was too late - I was suckered!! They send me emails about matches but when I log on there is nothing - this site gives genealogy a bad name. Do not even try this site - its a scam - even if you think you are getting a trial you probably aren't. How come they are allowed to stay in business:

Posted: 5 May 2009 1:12PM GMT
When I had my problems with them last year, I reported them to both their local (Utah) better business bureau and to the SC (my home state) bbb. Utah never did anything but SC got them to give back 75% of my money.

Posted: 5 May 2009 9:47PM GMT
Thanks for you comments actually when I checked out the site given it was Utah based I thought it was part of ancestry.com/familysearch/rootsweb - the Generation Network Company - the service you get from this group is great - they do deliver what they promise unlike 'onegreatfamily' so I presume it isn't part of the Generation Network Co but I suspect they are leveraging off this association and sucker people in the process.

Posted: 9 May 2009 9:04AM GMT
Awful, Awful, Awful!

Wish I'd seen this too. I took the 'free trial' and was totally baffled by the system. It wouldn't upload my GEDcom and I complained within the first couple of hours (no response). The only tips it would give me were from my own tree which I was no longer privvy to! I cancelled my free trial (which they make as difficult as possible) but they still took a month's subsciption from my account. Luckily, I'd kept all the e mails and eventually got a refund.

I now feel that they have 'stolen' my Gedcom containing 18 months of my hard work.

Avoid at all costs!

Posted: 9 May 2009 2:36PM GMT
I feel the same way. A well researched tree given to a scam outfit. They do not even pretend to deliver once they have your financial information.

Posted: 10 May 2009 10:07PM GMT
I am glad I found this warning. I was on the Rootsweb Home page where the have a place to type in a search. I decided to google the site and it brought me to this message. Thanks for the warning.

Posted: 20 Nov 2009 9:07PM GMT
Surnames: Genealogical Scams
I found this site TO LATE, I signed up for a quartley membership, 10/4/09 the program worked fine for 3 weeks, at that time I can't log into there Genology Browser, and with out that you can't put all of persons information, have been trying for 3/4 weeks, to get this fixed, every time I contact them get a reply back that they are working on it.
Now I'm fed up, and most likely not geting my money back but can spread the work as to my take on there web site.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions