Search for content in message boards

George Hargraft

George Hargraft

Marni Hargraft (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hargraft, Walsh, Gooderham, Ross
George Hargraft was born in 1783; on Aug. 25,1826 he married Dorothea [Dorathea, Dorthea} Walsh who was born in 1789. They emigrated from Templemore, Co. Tipperary in 1833 to Cobourg, Ontario, Canada.
His eldest three children, George, William and Elizabeth were born in Templemore. William married Mary Ross. Their daughter Ellen married George Gooderham.
I have traced the six Canadian generations but have no definitive information about our Irish forbears

George Hargraft

Marni Hargraft (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hargraft, Hewson, Gooderham
George Hargraft did own land in Caistor Twp. I have a letter to George at Smithville, Caistor Twp. from the Commisioner of Crown Lands, dated 28Sep1835. It acknowledges that he had received half notes to the amount of 21 pounds, 5 shillings and said a receipt would be sent when the remaining halves were received. The commisioner complained that "it is extemely inconvenient to receive money in this manner and in future it is desired thath the bills be sent without being halved.'
As far as a Hewson connection is concerned, I would not be in the least surprised if George's mother was a Hewson on two counts. First, George's 4th child, 3rd son was John Hewson Hargraft, 27March1834 - 9April1860, who had no children. Secondly, William Hargraft, George's 2nd child, 2nd son, named his 9th child, 6th son, William Hewson. Of all of the Hargraft's, the only cousins I have met is the widow of William David Hargraft, William Hewson's grandson.
My husband is descended from Edward William, William's 7th child, 5th son.

Hargraft/Hewson

Posted: 22 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 4:56PM GMT
Surnames: Hargraft, Hewson
George Hargraft was living in Smithville Ontario before removing to Coborg in 1833. He sold land to my Hewson line who farmed in Caistor Twp. They were connected to the Coborg Hewsons in some way, having been from Templemore. I suspected
George's mother may have been a Hewson but cannot prove it.

Re: George Hargraft

Posted: 14 Feb 2013 9:09PM GMT
Hi Marni,
Have you made any progress on this line?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions