Search for content in message boards

Gilpin's of Adair County KY

Gilpin's of Adair County KY

Carlis B. Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GILPIN, WHEELER, WILSON, COOMER, GARMON, YARBERRY
I have ben told that the Gilpin family of Adair County are linked to the Wheelers. I would appreciate any information on theese two families.

Re: Gilpin's of Adair County KY

Garry Bryant (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2002 8:17AM GMT
Surnames: Gilpin
It is possible that you may be connected to the Gilpin families in neighboring Casey Co., KY. Two Gilpin familes settled here before 1850. They are William Gilpin from Bedford Co., VA, and Eli & Enoch Gilpin, sons of Isaac Gilpin of Frederick Co., MD.

Gilpins of So Ohio

Posted: 24 Aug 2002 7:13AM GMT
Are any of these Gilpins Native Americans? Mine were in So Ohio, and were Native American/Irish. I had
Thomas Gilpin marr Nancy Mullen
Henry Grant Gilpin 1828 marr Harriett Matilda Waldron
George Hathaway Gilpin marr Sally M. Thompson Bradney

any info send to Claywalela1@wmconnect.com~Thanks!

Re: Gilpins of So Ohio

Posted: 25 Aug 2002 9:53PM GMT
Many Gilpins of sourthern Ohio are from Elias Gilpin and his brother Samuel, two of the four sons of Isaac Gilpin & Ann Marie ???.

I have no idea if any of the Gilpins had native American blood.

The Casey Co., KY, Gilpins came from Eli & Enoch Gilpin, sons of Isaac. And another branch came from Francis Green Gilpin.

Posted: 25 Aug 2002 11:30PM GMT
Edited: 22 Mar 2003 10:48PM GMT
I have my line back to Thomas, 1832 who was a Gold prospector, and came back to Ohio with a couple of buckets of gold! He was supposedly from PA. Were any of these from there? He was born there, then moved to Ohio. Thanks for all your help.
Linda kjnj

Posted: 26 Aug 2002 6:17AM GMT
The original Gilpins came to Chester Co., PA about 1696. This was Joseph and Hannah (Glover) Gilpin. They had 15 or 16 children who all grew to adulthood and married. It is possible that your Thomas descends from Gideon Gilpin, their grandson.

However, an Irishman with the surname Gilpin also settled in PA in the 1700s.

Posted: 1 Dec 2002 1:12AM GMT
Edited: 22 Mar 2003 10:48PM GMT
Surnames: Gilpin, Mullens
Sorry, I made an error on Thomas Gilpins dob, it should read, 1790-1792, born in Ireland, and lived in Pa. Married Nancy Mullen~ no date~says born in Ireland, but, I believe she may have been from Pa. Write me direct, Thanks!Claywalela1@wmconnet.com

Posted: 20 Mar 2003 8:40PM GMT
I'm wondering about this query you posted, that mentions your Gilpins as being Native American.

My grandmother was a Gilpin, and family lore has her 1/4 Cherokee. BUT...we don't find one inkling of that in any data we've found.

You say your Gilpins were from South Ohio. Mine were from the Kentucky Gilpins. However...I do have this very grandmother living just south of Cincinnati for a time period in the area around 1925.

I've found others related to my line, and they have no Cherokee information either, except to say that we keep finding women with long straight black hair.

Do my Gilpins cross yours in any way? I'll start with:

Henry Gilpin b. abt 1867 Casey County KY
md
Mary Donna Roberts in KY

Henry's father was James Gilpin of KY
James md. Elizabeth Thomas

James Gilpin was the son of Eli Gilpin of KY
Eli md. Rebecca Conn (sp) / Passmore (sp)

James Gilpin was the son of Enoch Gilpin of KY
Enoch md. Rachel Boston

Do we have any "matches" in our lines? What data do you have as far as your Gilpins' Native American ancestry?

Thanks,
Brenda Geiger

Posted: 21 Mar 2003 4:42PM GMT
There are two Gilpin lines of Casey Co., KY. One begins with Francis Green Gilpin. The other is two brothers, Eli and Enoch Gilpin. They were the sons of Isaac Gilpin and Marie ??? Tradition states that Isaac died of smallpox as a soldier during the Revolution. There were two other brothers, Elias and William (I think). The four brothers were apprenticed out and seperated. Isaac was probably the son of Isaac Gilpin, son of immigrants Joseph Gilpin and Hannah Glover.

As far as Native American links, I have found none. I descend from Francis G. Gilpin, and my step-father from Isaac Gilpin.

Best,
Garry Bryant

Posted: 25 Mar 2003 4:22AM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2004 6:05AM GMT
Surnames: Gilpin, Waldron, Mullens, Ivers, Thompson, Gore, Jordan, Bradney, Hawk, ,
Hello, both Brenda & Gary, As I mentioned before, we are from So. Ohio. My Grandmother told me we were Indian many moons ago. Since about 1997, I have worked extremely hard to prove it. We are a dark complicted, dark haired family, with high cheekbones, and dark brown eyes. I have found thru other family genealogists that it was said that grandfathers grandmother was Cherokee, and I have even found her name in the "Old Cherokee Families" book, but no dates to verify.
My line is a little confusing, because the dates do not look correct. But in my searching I have found that I have NA blood on all four sides of my family, with about 5-6 tribes interwoven, and now I want to send my family tree to North Carolina, or to Oklahoma, as this is getting better and better all the time.
My line (providing this is an uh-oh in the dates given me) would be as follows:

Thomas Gilpin, from Ireland, 1790, marr Nancy Mullen no dates (may have come from Ireland herself)

Henry Grant Gilpin 1824/1828 marr Harriet Matilda Waldron, 1831, May have been born in Va.(Shawnee/Cherokee)

George Hathaway Gilpin, 1853-1919 marr Sally M. Thompson Bradney, 1854

Calvin Clay Gilpin, 1886-1930, marr Laura Elenore Ivers, marr 20, 1897 (My Grandparents)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions