Search for content in message boards

JENNIE HARBOUR

JENNIE HARBOUR

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 5:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HARBOUR
I am researching the Art Deco Illustrator Jennie Harbour; a wonderful artist who deserves to be remembered, but who nobody seems to know anything about. I would like to give her a lasting testamony by writing her biography. If there is anyone who can give me information on her or any living relatives, please contact me at Bramwith22@aol.com. Thank you. All I know I have listed below.

Jennie Harbour
Poss. DOB: 1893
Poss. DOD: 1959
Poss. Religion: Jewish
Nationality: English
Most likely pakce of residence: London
Illustator and Designer for:
The Raphael Tuck Punblishing Company.
Approx. Dates worked 1920-1939;
Art Deco Period

Re: JENNIE HARBOUR

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 7:28PM GMT
1911 census
Charles Harbour 46 miliner,dressmaker,furrier b.Poland
Sarah Harbour 39 b. poland
Rose 19
Jenny 17
Lily 12
Arnold 10
all born London City

GRO index had
Charles married Sarah AArons Mar 1890 London City

There is also a possible marriage for Jenny to
Abraham Gittelmacher Sep 1916 Mile End

Posted: 23 Jul 2011 5:37PM GMT
Hi, I am wondering how your research is coming along? My mother just purchased a couple of items by Jennie Harbour and I would like to know more about the artist.
Good luck with your efforts.
Val

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 10:52PM GMT
Hello and thanks for your interest. So far I have ruled out one Jennie Harbour, from those in London during the appropriate timeline. I'll be spendng a month in London during October/November, and hope to make contact with the British Library and Inland Revenue at that time. I'm hoping that with access to work records, I will be able to connect the most probable Jennie Harbour I have found, with the Raphael Tuck Comppany, for which she worked. Can you tell me which of her works your Mother has purchased? I have been collecting her works for possible inclusion in my tentative book and would be most grateful if she would share copies and dates of the works she has. I look forward to hearing from you again.

Regards,
Adele

Posted: 2 Aug 2011 10:57PM GMT
Peggy,

Thank you so much for the Jennie Harbour information; it is very much appreciated. My apologies for the delay in responding, but I have not been back to this site in some time. If you run across anything else I would be very happy to receive it. I'll be continuing my research in London this autumn and hopefully will have something I can share here with those poeple who have been good enough to assist me.

Regards,
Adele

Posted: 28 Jan 2012 9:37AM GMT
Hi Val,

I have long been a collector of works by Jennie Harbour. However, there seems to be no record of how many works she did and so I would dearly love to know the nature of the works and their titles that your mother purchased.

Iris.

Posted: 28 Jan 2012 5:53PM GMT
Hi Iris,
It turns out my mother purchased two framed postcards. She thought they might be originals since the paper has a texture. I removed them from the frame and realized that they were printed postcards. I am happy to send you a photo if you like.
Val

Posted: 28 Jan 2012 6:50PM GMT
Hi Adele, I have since discovered that my mother purchased two framed postcards by Jenny Harbour. One is of a lady in a yellow dress called "Isabella" and the other is of a lady in a pink and white dress called "A Fayre Lady". I'm happy to send you a picture if you like and I would like to purchase a copy of your biography of Jenny.
Good luck with your research.
Val

Posted: 28 Jan 2012 6:55PM GMT
Hi Iris, the postcards are titled "Isabella" and "A Fayre Lady"
Val
Back in July, I believe I found some of her postcards for sale on ebay.

Posted: 28 Jan 2012 7:52PM GMT
Hello,

It's nice to see people responding to Jennie Harbour. As well as working on her biography, I will be launchg a website devoted to her shortly. It will have many of her works listed there and, anyone who has others they would like to contibute may send them to me. Please let me know if you would like to be notified when it opens.

Adele
per page

Find a board about a specific topic