Search for content in message boards

Looking for the death of John O'Connor between 1900 and 1910

Looking for the death of John O'Connor between 1900 and 1910

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 7:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for the death record for John O'Connor who died in Saybrook between 1900 and 1910. His wife was Annie and he was born in Connecticut in 1858. I am trying to confirm he is the son of my GG grandparents John and Ellen O'Connor from Seymour, CT. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Looking for the death of John O'Connor between 1900 and 1910

Posted: 25 Oct 2012 5:04AM GMT
You can order his death record, Go to Old Saybrook's town hall website and look for the town clerk. A form can be download from there with the fee. You have enough info for them to find it for you easily.

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 6:22PM GMT
Surnames: O'Connor
As you likely know from the 1900 census John J. O'Conner b. Jun 1857 in CT was living in Deep River, CT and operated or worked in a pool hall. Both his parents were born in Ireland. He was living with wife Annie, b. Dec 1868 in England who immigrated to the US in 1875 at age 8. They had been married 12 yrs in 1900. They had 3 children: Mary A. 12, Annie A. 11, William B. 8. In 1900 Deep River was a village in the town of Saybrook. The census taker did not list the street name or number of their residence. Shame on him.
The difficulty is finding him in prior census because of the many spellings of the surname. O'CONNER, O'CONNAR, CONNERS, CONNAR, O'CONNOR, etc., etc. If you know of any of his siblings it would this would aid in the search. Also, if the parents you suggest were not both born in Ireland this may rule them out.
How do you know he died between 1900 & 1910 and where is he buried?

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 7:04PM GMT
I know this John in Saybrook died before 1910 because his wife is a widow in the 1910 census. Also, my John O'Connor's parents were both born in Ireland and I have his baptism record from Derby, Connecticut. He was baptized in June 1858. While this John in Saybrook says he was born in 1857, I am interested in him because it's the same month of June. This is the only John O'Connor that comes close to my relative. One other thing. John's mother Ellen was living in Middlesex County in 1900 and then died in 1916 in Seymour. Her obituary is very detailed and lists all of her daughters, but doesn't list her 2 sons John and David. Meaning they died before she did.

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 9:32PM GMT
Surnames: O'Connor
You likely already have this info but I did find John & Ellen O'Connor/O'Conner/O'Connar/Connors family in the 1860/1870/1880 census in Seymour CT as well as widow Annie and children in the 1910 census. Son John appears in the 1860 census as age 2 and in the 1870 census as age 11. He is gone from the family in the 1880 census. Ellen could not read or write and had mental health issues by 1880. Note that both of Annie's daughters were working in the piano factory in 1910. This would indicate the town of Deep River. So if you want to request any vital stats info I would start with the town clerk of Deep River. The name of the town SAYBROOK was changed to DEEP RIVER in 1947. Also if you can find a marriage record for John & Annie it sometimes will list the bride and groom's parents.

Posted: 28 Oct 2012 11:05PM GMT
Thank you very much. I think I will pursue the marriage and death record from the town hall. And yes, sadly my gg grandmother Ellen was living at the Connecticut Valley Hospital in Middlesex county in the year 1900. It is a very sad story as I think she may have been in this hospital for over 30 years. I got the hospital to send me her records from 1873. That is amazing on so many levels. It claims she suffered from melancholy from having too many kids (12 that I have found). I know that would make me want to be hospitalized too.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic