Search for content in message boards

Attaching a residence record to multiple family members

Attaching a residence record to multiple family members

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 2:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
How can I attach a 'Residence' fact to multiple family members? When I enter a residence it only allows it to be attached to one person.
I can upload media, such as a census return, and attach that to multiple family members but then I have to go into each family member individually, create the resudence fact for them and attach the media. Surely there must be a better way!?
Thanks
Matty

Re: Attaching a residence record to multiple family members

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 7:48PM GMT
The short answer is you can't.

In the Gedcom standard the Residence fact, or for that matter other facts, are subordinate; that is not shared. Spouse and children are aggregated through a Family relationship and that's how marriage information becomes shared.

As you are aware media objects can be shared and so can Sources, but the citation detail cannot be shared so there's no shared Source/Citation.

In the standard there is a construct called a shared Note unfortunately not implemented for Ancestry Member Trees and not sure if it is implemented by FTM 2012. A common practice is to create a shared Note for a nuclear family as seen in a census and attach the Note to the various individuals.

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 8:15PM GMT
What is not clear is whether you're working with with Ancestry databases?

If so, there are short cuts.

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 8:30PM GMT
Yes and much depends upon on what records you're using.

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 7:32AM GMT
Hi Sageflat and Dklart
Yes, I am working online using the Ancestry database. I go into an individual and 'Add a fact', select 'Residence' and then complete the three required fields. There is no facility at that point, nor when you revisit the created Fact, to attach it to anyone else. When I attach media to that Fact I get the option to attach that media to other database individuals - but not the Fact as well. So then I have to go into each of the individuals separately and 'Add a fact' and then link each one to the media already attached to them.
This is really tedious, especially as there is a mechanism for linking two people to a fact i.e. marriage.
I do also use the Family Tree Maker database so perhaps that might be a better way to do this? I don't find the FTM terribly easy to use though :-(
Thanks for your thoughts
Matty

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 7:33AM GMT
Hi
Could you explain, please?
Thanks
Matty

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 4:21PM GMT
The construct of the specific database you're using dictates how it can link and create the same event to multiple household members at the same time. All ACOM db's do not link citations in the same manner.

Most of LATER census database collections (US, UK, Canadian) specify the relationship of members of the household, to the head of household. This data is **required** by the system to link and create the same event at the same time.

If you're linking (and at the same time, creating a "residence" event/fact) for the head of household, the system "should" offer the other members listed in the household to be linked and create the same event/fact (or create a new profile for them) on the "review" page.

You have to careful about adding data (and creating new profiles) when using this method, you can end up with multiple profiles of the same person. I personally think there are some glitches with the new "review" page format, and don't use it.

An uploaded image can be attached to multiple profiles (people) at the same time, however if you want it to be attached to a specific event/fact in the profile, you'll need to select the specific event/fact on the each profile/overview page and link it.

Most learn the tricks of specific databases by using them repeatedly. It also helps to read the details of the databases you're using, click the *Learn More* link at the bottom of a record transcription. Also be aware there are indexing issues in every database, you might run into a household that hasn't been transcribed together.

Maybe you could specify what collections you're working with, it looks like you're using the UK collections, is that correct?

Posted: 18 Nov 2012 4:27PM GMT
You are right to be cautious about adding all in a census. Many, many times between one decade and the next, a different name may be used. For example the name Elizabeth. One census might record her as Elizabeth and the next decade she may be Lizzie and the next Lizzy and still another she may have married and a different surname is recorded. If a person is not careful, 3 profiles for the same person could be created just using this census option all 4 times. I do believe that is exactly what happens with some trees. My opinion: use the census to record one person at a time. It will take longer but in the long run will be much safer.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions