Search for content in message boards

Centralized database in PA for marriage records?

Centralized database in PA for marriage records?

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 1:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gibson, Slater
Looking for the marriage license for Blanche Marie Slater and William A. Gibson. They were married in 1907 in PA... but I have no idea in which county! I've already tried Allegheny and Butler. Is there a centralized database, or do I have to send $ to each county to have them look for me?

Re: Centralized database in PA for marriage records?

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 7:15PM GMT
There is no centralized data base- heck that would take all the fun out of it... but, maybe if you give us some more information the census will narrow down where they were.

What do you know about either: Birth date, Death Date, age at marriage, husband's occupation, religion, parents name, parents birth place...--- Maybe in the 1900 census, both the Gibson and Slater families are living in the same county- that might be a big clue where to look for their nuptuals.

worth a shot? Your call

Second Marriage of Blanche

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 3:39PM GMT
Classification: Marriage
Edited: 14 Jul 2013 9:51PM GMT
Do you have this for her remarriage in 1915?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X83N-PYH

Re: Second Marriage of Blanche

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 7:05PM GMT
I didn't have a copy of this marriage certificate - Thanks! I AM, however, trying to find a certificate for her first marriage to my great-grandfather. We have NO information on him other than Blanche was 18 when they married, and he died in 1912.

Posted: 14 Jul 2013 7:19PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson, Slater
I know when they married (1907)- Blanche was 18, so it was after July 4. Blanche was born 7/4/1889. She started out Catholic as a child, but later became Methodist.

According to what she wrote on a badly deteriorated paper, they were married in Pittsburgh, PA at Smithfield Ave. church by Rev. Fletcher Wharton.

Her mother Margaret Jane Ransel died when Blanche was 10, and her father John Joseph Slater wasn't around much after that.

I've written to the archive for the Smithfield Ave. Methodist Church, and while there was a Fletcher Wharton they have no record of the marriage. Butler County also shows no marriage license being issued.

We know nothing about William except his death date (3/30/1912) and the fact that his death certificate is on file. I am waiting for a copy of that to see what it offers. My other alternative seems to be to write to each county that Blanche lived in (including Butler).

So anything that points me in the right direction would be a HUGE help!

Posted: 28 Jul 2013 4:25PM GMT
If you think Butler is a possibility, I recommend you contact the Genealogy department of the Butler Public Library. The head of that department, Lu, has been incredibly helpful to my mom and me in our efforts to research mom's family. In addition, you may find the marriage record in the Butler County Courthouse -- I'm not positive of the date range when marriages were recorded, but we found both a marriage record (1897) and divorce decree (1912) for my great-grandparents the in courthouse records.

One more suggestion -- many of the Butler church record are now available on Ancestry. We found records from both the Lutheran and the Methodist churches online. Not sure whether the Catholic church records are digitized.

Good luck!

Susan

Posted: 29 Jul 2013 5:38PM GMT
Surnames: Slater, Gibson
Thanks, Susan. I will try the Library angle. I already contacted the Butler Cty. courthouse, and they sent me back my fee because they had nothing on file.

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 10:52PM GMT
Surnames: Streebech
hi Susan,

I noticed that you had posted photos of Sigmund Streebech. Are you related? I have done a lot of work on the family of his brother Joseph, my ggg-grandfather.

best,
Dave

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 11:11PM GMT
Hi, Dave! Yes, Sigmund was my gg grandfather on my mother's side. I'm going to attempt to send you a message via the Ancestry inbox...

Susan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions