Search for content in message boards

Native American ancestry, Western PA

Native American ancestry, Western PA

Posted: 27 Jul 2013 6:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello. I am trying to find the Indian nation of my Grx2 Grandmother. She lived in Western PA (Armstrong or Clarion County). Because Senecas were prevalent here, I am starting with that tribe and hoping to find direction. She was born @ 1830- 1835. The story goes on that sometime in her early childhood, she was orphaned when a massacre went on that killed her parents. She was found in the woods and adopted by the Rudolph family who were settlers in the area. (Unsuccessful in finding anything in Rudolph family history). I don't know where to find any details of any massacres between 1830 & 1840 in the area. Also, I am sure there were other tribes in the area...the town of Kittanning, PA is in the center of all this. Looking forward to a reply.

Re: Native American ancestry, Western PA

Posted: 27 Jul 2013 7:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Have you had DNA ethnicity testing? Companies such as 23andme.com do autosomal ethnic testing and even though autosomal genes are lost over the generations 23andme claims that it is pretty accurate and conclusive back to the 3rd great-grandparent level. In some cases it can pinpoint a specific Tribe but it would establish pretty clearly whether or not the story of Native American ancestry at this level is accurate or not. What is your NA 2nd great-grandmother's married name --- maybe we can find her on a later census and check her ethnicity/race as listed?

Joan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions