Search for content in message boards

WWI - Royal Flying Corps - Personnel Records

WWI - Royal Flying Corps - Personnel Records

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 8:37PM GMT
Classification: Military
Surnames: Kendall
Hi,

I'm trying to find enlistment / service records for my grandfather, Alexander Kendall who, I'm led to believe, was an airman in the Royal Flying Corps.

I don't have dates of enlistment or service and have found the National Archives w/site to be unhelpful and frustrating to use!

Any advice on how to locate WWI Royal Flying Corps personnel information (both via Kew and not), would be very much appreciated.

Re: WWI - Royal Flying Corps - Personnel Records

Posted: 8 Sep 2012 10:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
We are also trying to get hold of similar records and have been a little frustrated with the system on the archives. Having found the one we are looking for, we are now having problems ordering it!

Anyway since I've worked out how to use the archives to find records, I have managed to find the location of the record you are looking for and the reference number so I hope this helps.

It is here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycatalogu...

Reference no: AIR 79/609/66172

This was the only record I could find for an Alexander Kendall so I assume its the correct one.

His service number is 66172 and according to the 1918 muster roll, he enlisted on 13/3/1917.

Posted: 10 Sep 2012 10:58AM GMT
Hi,

Thank you so much for helping out with the information. It's very much appreciated!

Good luck with your research.

Tim

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 5:45AM GMT
Edited: 24 Sep 2012 5:46AM GMT
Ancestry and the National Archives can be very helpful to you both; but it is according to if you are giving them information to work with. The more information you can give them. The more they can help you. There is Basic info if you have it. It will lead you directly to him and sometimes just give you a hint of him.

You basically need some of the info that I have mentioned in the following paragraphs; But just a portion of it might start you on your way. You have made family trees. Check the Public Family Trees to see if anyone else has made a family tree on him and has some military info; but check the below paragraphs.

What kind of information do you have in reference to his military history. The following should be supplied if you have it. (1.) First and Last Name and Mid Initial and any other christian name or names. Sometimes if his name is John. He might have been called Jack. (2.) ETB Estimated or definate date of birth. The year is generally sufficient (3.) What country did he enlist from United States, England, Canada, Austrailia, Ireland, Wales; etc. (4.) When did he enlist and where from. (5.) Was he in the Artillery, Infantry, etc. (6.)What was his Rank, Ser. or Regimental No., Batalion No. or Division. (7.) Regiment (8.) Medals. (9.) Date of Death (10.) Father, Mother, Spouse, Children (This helps in identifying him from his service and Pension records if there are any).

The more info you can give them. The more info they can give you. Its just like putting together a family tree.

In order for someone to help you search for him. They need certain info. Thats the name of the Game.

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 6:35AM GMT
Edited: 24 Sep 2012 6:39AM GMT
I did a quick military search. 458 Service Records on the info. you gave me. No Alexander Kendall. 215 Pension Records. No pension records. There was nothing for the Royal Flying Corps.

There are other records and I suggest you do a military search and type in his name and under military. Put in WW1. Under "Keyword". Put in Royal Flying Corps. You will have a lot of info come up.

You may do a general search and under Keyword put in "Royal Flying Corps;, but under all the info. Put in as much info as you know about him. Birth, Father, mother, spouse, & children. Where he might have lived at.

If you have any idea where he was born at and grew up at. That is where he most likely enlisted from. Especially if he went in as a young man. He might have lied about his age and went in as a very young man. Good luck.

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 7:13AM GMT
Thank you. That's is very helpful. I do have quite a lot of information however, my issue with National Archives, is that I have found their website to be anything but user-friendly; from my point of view, I found it to be complicated and impenetrable.

Again, thank you for the advice.

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 7:15AM GMT
Thanks! That's what I found, initially. I've had further success and intend to visit the NA.

Thanks again for checking and your suggestions!

Posted: 25 Sep 2012 7:00AM GMT
I have to disagree with you. I have been here for a few years. I could agree with you. If you had some information on the subject.

I really didn't expect to find what I did with the info you gave. Which is next to nothing. You don't have any info for them to go on. Even with what I found without something to back it up with more info. It would be almost impossible to distinguish between them.

You are guessing that he was in the Royual Flying Corps. If you had a Service or Regimental no. His birthday would be helpful. You need more info. Then they will be able to help you.

Posted: 16 Jun 2013 1:33PM GMT
Surnames: Pickup
I am searching for Doctor Pickup Royal Flying Corps (I have a photo of him in uniform so I know I have that bit right) number 42617 born Blackburn, Lancashire 7 Jan 1885 wife Alice Maud and they were living in Blackpool which I imagine is where he enlisted in 1914. In 1918 he was transferred to the Essex Regiment and was killed in France August of that year. When he enlisted he had 3 children, Horace, Phyllis and Cecil. I have been on the National Archive site and have come up with nothing - maybe the problem is that he left when the RFC ceased to exist in April 1918. Can anyone help me please.

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 7:30PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2013 7:30PM GMT
Surnames: Rodbourn
I have also found the National Archives website frustrating and difficult to navigate. I am looking for information about Mark Lewis Rodbourn. His discharge papers show him as L, Rodbourn No,4O21 Served with Res. Batt. 6 Glos.Regt. for 213 days

Enlisted 4 May 1915. Discharged 2 Dec. 1915. Reason enlisted into Royal Flying Corps.

Royal Air Force Discharge details: No. 14163 Discharged 7/4/19. Service 3yrs. 125 days.

I followed the link you kindly put up for Tim Kendall, then clicked on "New Search" but was again confused and frustrated on how to proceed. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic