Search for content in message boards

places showing as number

places showing as number

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 6:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
can anyone tell me if there is a list showing places in england as numbers - some member trees on ancestry show the place of birth/marriage/death as a number which is of little help to me if i am trying to find out the place name.....
eg:-
1818 Age: 22 Marriage to Dinah 1681876, Yorkshire, England

i do not know what place 1681876 is ?
any help appreciated
cathy

Re: places showing as number

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 7:01AM GMT
Cathy,

This was caused by a glitch in the system and the only cure AFAIK is to notify both Ancestry and the Tree Owner about the specific person in the specific tree.

Posted: 20 Nov 2012 7:22PM GMT
This is a regular problem which Ancestry software engineers appear to be unable to solve! It's been present for a couple of years.

Posted: 21 Nov 2012 3:13PM GMT
thank you for the information i did not know about the glitch, i thought it was a new way of recording places and there was a list somewhere that i should look up....lol....who says genealogy is dull...........

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 1:08PM GMT
Take a look at this thread:

http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.ancestry.uk-ire/2817.1.3.1...

(which also links to an earlier thread), to see have long we've had to put up with this nonsense and also Ancestry's claim that they are "looking in to it"!
We are still waiting.

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 2:53PM GMT
wow you first reported it 8th april 2010....do ancestry look at these boards do you think.....this may be a silly question as i am sure you are going to say yes...but...did you report direct to ancestry about this....and would it be worth me querying it with them saying i have found out that this was first reported 2 1/2 years ago

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 3:51PM GMT
well i sent them an email-here is the reply

Dear Cathy,

Thank you for contacting Ancestry.co.uk regarding the numbers you are seeing rather than place names for some of the tree hints you receive.

Some members had this problem when they saved certain records to their tree. This problem is no longer ongoing, but some people still have the incorrect information saved to their tree. In order to fix this they will need to save the record to their tree again so the place name will be saved instead of the number.

If you need additional assistance, reply to this email or feel free to contact us by phone at 0-800-404-9723 from 9 AM to 10 PM GMT, Monday through Friday or from 9 AM - 8 PM GMT, Saturday and Sunday.

Best regards,

Jessica
Customer Solutions Associate
Ancestry.co.uk
http://ancestryuk.custhelp.com/
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions