Search for content in message boards

Henry Clay Davis

Henry Clay Davis

Posted: 20 Oct 2013 7:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davis
Can someone please help me with this? He was born 1851 in PA and died 1904 PA, possibly Easton.

Thank you, Donna

What sort of help do you need regarding: Henry Clay Davis

Posted: 24 Oct 2013 12:25AM GMT
Donna wrote, "Can someone please help me with this? He was born 1851 in PA and died 1904 PA, possibly Easton."

Donna, can you enlighten us as to what help you need? What are you looking for? Do you have Henry Clay DAVIS in 1860, 60, 80, and 1900 censuses? Do you already know whether/who he married, names of any children,, names of siblings and parents?

Re: What sort of help do you need regarding: Henry Clay Davis

Posted: 3 Nov 2013 7:45PM GMT
Oops, not sure what happened with the rest of my message. I was looking for an obituary. I was also wondering how to get birth certificates from this time and area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm very stuck on this side of the family and there are no living relatives to help.

Thanks, Donna

Re: Henry Clay Davis

Posted: 4 Nov 2013 3:39PM GMT
Edited: 4 Nov 2013 4:55PM GMT

Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, PA), September 12, 1904, Vol. 151, Issue 74, Page: 3
HENRY C. DAVIS DEAD
Devon Resident Succumbs to Heart Paralysis Near Easton
EASTON, Pa., Sept. 11 -- Henry C. Davis, a resident of Devon, who was spending the summer at Paxinosa Inn, near Easton, died at that resort early this morning of paralysis of the heart.
He was for many years a fur merchant, but retired from business a few years ago. He was one of the owners of Paxinosa Inn.

City of Easton, Pa, Board of Health, Transit Permit dated Sept. 12, 1904:
Henry C. Davis; age 50 years; died at Paxinosa Inn, Easton; died Sept. 11, 1904; Burial Phila.

Undertaker’s Certificate:
Place of birth: Pa.
No father or mother listed
Buried from Holy Trinity Church, 19th & Walnut, Phila., Pa.
Burial Sept 14, 1904 in Laurel Hill Cemetery.

See: www.findagrave.com
Find A Grave Memorial# 101554028

For pictures of Paxinosa Inn go to:
http://www3.gendisasters.com/pennsylvania/9425/easton-pa-res...
MOUNTAIN HOTEL, NEAR EASTON, PA., DESTROYED BY FIRE.
Easton, Pa., July 11. -- Paxinosa Inn, an imposing structure on the summit of Weygadt mountain, three miles north of the centre of this city, was destroyed by fire. The loss is $150,000; insurance, $20,000. None of the guests or help was injured, but some lost their clothing and jewelry. The fire started from an overheated flue in the laundry, east of the inn, and leaped to the big structure. An hour later the building was in ruins, so rapidly did the flames spread.
The inn was 40 by 340 feet, and was four stories high. It was buildt entirely of wood, and there was no way of checking the flames, once they spread from the laundry. A. B. HELLINGS and his sister, MRS. PIGGOTT, of Philadelphia, who conducted the business, lost their entire personal effects while they were saving those of the guests.
Tyrone Daily Herald Pennsylvania 1905-07-11

Posted: 6 Nov 2013 12:13AM GMT
Wow, thank you for the information. I was sooooo hoping this would list his parents or family. Do you know where I can order birth or death certificates for this area in that time frame?

Again, thank you so very much.

Donna

Posted: 6 Nov 2013 3:26AM GMT
From FamilySearch.org:

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Death Certificates Index, 1803-1915
Name: Henry C Davis
Birth Date: abt 1854
Death Date: 12 Sep 1904
Death Place: Easton, Pennsylvania
Age at Death: 50
Burial Date: 14 Sep 1904
Burial Place: Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
FHL Film Number: 1004051

Note: No parents listed.

Posted: 6 Nov 2013 3:31PM GMT
Thank you!

Does anyone know how I can order birth certificates.in Pennsylvania if I don't know the county they were born in? This would be for family born in the 1800's, for example for Henry. Thanks in advance!

Posted: 6 Nov 2013 5:06PM GMT
Edited: 6 Nov 2013 6:04PM GMT
Birth records at PA State start at 1906. Before 1906 some counties have some records. Otherwise you would have to find a baptism in church records.

The tombstone for Henry Clay states “His wife Lou”, therefore, the following could be his marriage as Lou could be a nickname for Louisa.

Pennsylvania, Church and Town Records, 1708-1985
Name: Henry Clay Davis
Event Type: Marriage
Marriage Date: 9 Feb 1871
Marriage Place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Spouse Name: Mary Louisa Dixey
Organization Name: Church of the Advent

Original Record of Marriage shows: February 9, 1871; On Thursday Morning I solemnized the Marriage between Henry Clay Davis and Mary Louisa Dixey. Signed J. W. Claxton.

There is one person named Henry Clay Davis shown in the 1850 census in PA:
1850-PA-Luzerne County-Blakeley:
William W Davis 42 born Wales; miner
Henrietta Davis 30 born PA
David R Davis 18 born Wales
Gomar S Davis 7 born PA
Henry Clay Davis 1 born PA

Posted: 6 Nov 2013 7:17PM GMT
In doing my research, the 1850 census that you listed is the Henry Clay in my family. I found a church record for his marriage to Rosella Moore and it lists his parents as William and Henrietta. It looks like the Henry Clay tombstone may not be the correct Henry for my family. Going back beyond Henry is where I'm completely stuck. Our family is so small that there is no one left to ask. I'll try to find a baptism in church records. Thank you for your help, it's greatly appreciated!!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic