Search for content in message boards

John Corvin 1755

John Corvin 1755

Posted: 2 Aug 2005 4:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Corvin via Doris, Lonnie, John Pose, Joseph A., Issac, John
Thought since I'd found a board of like minded Corvin's I'd join in. Questions Has anyone found any solid evidence on John Corvin and Elizabeth K(C)reger, married 1775. Any good information on the Corvins before John and possible name changes, etc. Looking for some link from Wytheville (seems like everything begins there) to the eastern seaboard. Any interesting Civil war stories? Revolutionary War? Did you hear the story about the bridge tolls?

Felt like royalty when I read the Hungary posts. Thanks, my mom Doris Corvin always told me she was from Hungarian royal blood, I guess I'll have to believe her next time.

Great to read the post, I'm new, so excuse me if I'm just jumping in

Richard Prizznick

Re: John Corvin 1755

Posted: 16 Oct 2005 7:13AM GMT
I have been to court house in Wytheville, my father was born there. Plus there is a lot of info. in a book by Canfield called the "Kreiger's" ( org. spelling for Elizabeth Creggar, who Marr. John. All records indicate John Corvin ( org. Colvin) marr. Elizabeth Creggar, 27 Oct. 1789 His parents were Unknown Colvin and Susannah Gale, b. 1740 of Pa. John's b. 1755 - d. Feb. 1814 Their childred: John Jr., Thomas, Isaac, Samual, Elizbeth, Joseph, Mary Polly
Since his mother (Susannah was from Pa) I'm now searching there for his father. It seems Susannah husband died soon after Johns birth because she marr. Henry Helvey (Helwig) John is listed in all their records as John Corvin Helvey along with their other childred. Plus I have a copy of Susannah's will. And there were court records indicating a disput over her will between John and Helvey's childred. If I can help with any other dates let me know.

Posted: 28 Apr 2009 3:10AM GMT
Surnames: Corvin Colvin
Hello, I just came across this post while doing some research on my family. I was wondering if you'd come up with any other information regarding John Corvin's father -- a full name, or any dates (birth/death, etc).

Cheers!

Posted: 28 Apr 2009 5:43PM GMT
The only info I have on John Corvin b/1755 Wythe Co. Va father is he spelled the last name Colvin and died about 1762 in Dunmore Wythe Va. and married Susannah Gale of Pa. If you find any info I'd love to hear of it.

Posted: 12 Sep 2010 9:45PM GMT
Surnames: CORVIN
Hi. Saw in your list of names some that I am researching for a cousin -in-law. It all started because he was sort of jokingly looking for the links to Matthius Corvinus of Hungary. I've got quite a bit now back to John Corvin 1755, but I don't think anybody has found the exact ancestor that leads back to Matthius, yet. Anyway, my cousin's partial line is:
Joseph Corvin 1795 - Joseph A Corvin 1824 - John Posey Corvin 1871 - Paris Garland Corvin 1897 - Julian Corvin 1920 (brother Lonnie P Corvin). All except Julian were in Wythe County VA. Julian was in Nottoway County and then California. I am working especially hard to find records of Paris and Julian. If you have anything to share, I would be so grateful. I would be happy to send you useful information that I have also. Hope to hear from you. Stephanie

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 12:06AM GMT
Surnames: Corvin, Paris, John
My mother "Lonnie Corvin's" daughter remembers Paris, and some interesting stories... so, I got a little on Paris basically anecdotal childhood memories.

Here's what I've found on John Corvin, some land records, french indian war veteran records, some cyptic references from the 1600's in England, and the east coast, but no direct connect to John. I'd like to be able to find out how & when they came to Virginia from the East coast, and or sailing dates from England? Any clues?

Been there and done the Matthias thing, my MOM still says she's royalty, (I should have never told her!). She say's she's just born on the wrong side of the ocean.

What format can you recieve data?

Richard

Posted: 14 Sep 2010 10:23PM GMT
Surnames: Corvin
Hi. Ooooh I am excited that you have some stuff about paris g! My big unanswered question is: who was his wife? Was it Susie Sullivan, who lived in Crewe, Nottoway Co, and whose parents George and Maggie were living with Paris and Susie in Crewe in 1930? Or was it Susie Lewellyn, who appears to have the same birth date and is given as his wife in several online trees? Hope you know!

On the Matthias front, I have pretty much the same scanty records of John 1755 that you do. There is a Corwin genealogy on Ancestry that tries to trace back to the king. As far as I have discerned, it goes something like this: King Matthais, son John 1470, his son (?) Anthony 1501 -1553, missing generation, Rev John Corvin 1560, his son (?) Arnold 1590, who may be the father of the first American Cor(w)in, Matthais, born 1590, came from Warwick Eng, in Ipswich MA 1634, in Southold Long Island 1640 (John Corvin 1755 was also in Southold in NY records), missing generation or two, John Corvin 1755. As you said - no positive proof! Maybe some smart person who reads Hungarian will come along and clear it all up for us!

I work on an iMac and use Microsoft word. Haven't put this genealogy online as my cousin is super privacy-conscious. Look forward to hearing from you again. Let me know if you would like the info I have on the Paris/Julian families. Is your mother Charlena or Elizabeth? Thank her for me. Stephanie

Posted: 2 Oct 2010 10:39PM GMT
Hi Richard. Hope you are still interested in giving me some Paris Corvin information. I am now pretty sure that he married Susie Lewellyn.....my cousin managed to squeak that fact out of her husband (this genealogy is supposed to be a surprise for him).

Think my cousin in law doesn't know much about Paris, and would be pretty interested to know a bit more. Wonder how he got his name?

My cousin in law's father was Julian. He is the only child. He has one son. Do you need any info oh him?

Sorry I bored you with the same old theory of Matthias! I hope someday someone will find the connection to the American Corvins! Hope to hear from you. My email is: canyon_wren@hotmail.com Stephanie

Posted: 15 Oct 2011 1:27PM GMT
I realize this reply is about a year after your post But I can confirm some of your questions, and I expect it matches Richards reply. Richard is my nephew. Lonnie P. Corvin was my Dad and Richards grandfather.

Paris Garland Corvin was my uncle. His wife was Suzie Lewellyn of Wythe County. When I was a teenager, she lived with us for a while after "Uncle Garl" passed. I used to drive her to see her dad at her home place on "Stroup Mountain" southwest of Wytheville, Va on Highway 21. This as the late 60's early 70's.

John Posey Corvin had five children with his wife Ida (Eversole). Mae, Paris Garland, Hilory Marco, Walter Isaah, Lonnie Pose.

I was thinking that Julian had a brother (Paul maybe). I know I met and played with their kids just a few time when I was little. One of them (the kids)had the same birthdate I did - October 22.

Sorry so late on the reply but every little tidbit of our history is always helpful.

Posted: 19 Oct 2011 5:13PM GMT
Hi. Thanks so much for bothering to reply! So often people never respond.....

I did get all the info you have mentioned but it is so nice to have it confirmed!

D you have any interest in corresponding with Paris' grandson Wayne Clay Corvin? I could pass along your email or whatever. He was kind of funny about the genealogy I did for him - a very private person I guess, although I did it at the request of his wife (my cousin). He knew almost nothing about his family.

By any chance are you Elizabeth or Estelle? Just curious.

Yes, Julian had a brother and a sister: Paul G Corvin 1923 - married Millie P ?- they had two children- Robert Garland Corvin (Oct 22?)1952, and Paula G Corvin. Mildred Corvin, Dec 7, 1921 -April 1978, married ? Lingerfelt. They had four children: Allen Lingerfelt 1955, David Lingerfelt 1953, Carl Lingerfelt 1958, Marie Lingerfelt. As you can see there are some missing names and dates. If you happen to know them I would love to add them to the research. Is there any information I can share with you? My email is canyon_wren@hotmail.com.

Thanks again for replying....tidbits help! Stephanie

per page

Find a board about a specific topic