Search for content in message boards

Jankes of West Prussia - Emil, Augusta (Clara), William?

Jankes of West Prussia - Emil, Augusta (Clara), William?

Posted: 3 May 2011 4:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Janke, Klinger, Hutzelmann
My great grandfather, Emil Janke, was born somewhere in West Prussia in 1865. He came to the U.S. - apparently alone - in 1882, then brought his mother (Augusta Clara) over a few years later. Based on the few documents I have obtained, Augusta's maiden name was Klinger (or some variation thereof). She was born around 1830 and was married to William (Wilhelm?) Janke. She came to the U.S. after William died, but I am not sure when he died.

Once in the U.S., Emil and his mother settled in Queens. He married Frances Hutzelman(n) and they had 10 children, 8 of whom survived. The children were Thomas, Luke, Frank, Sadie, Dora(thea), Agnes (died as an infant), Frederick (died as an infant), Grace, Clara Augusta, and Julius (my grandfather).

These are all names that seem to be very common - I keep getting mixed up with the "Wisconsin" line of Jankes, but I don't know if they're related to William, Augusta, and Emil at all.

Any information out there?

Thanks,
Kristin

Re: Jankes of West Prussia - Emil, Augusta (Clara), William?

Posted: 7 Nov 2011 7:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Janke
I'm from Wisconsin, and my grandfather, Ferdinand Janke came to US in 1888 from Gremany. His brothers and sister were: Carl, Gust, Fred, Julius, Emil, Ferdinand, Albert, Augusta, and Tillie. Augusta and Fred stayed in Germany (we were told). They were mostly foresters and carpenters.
There is another "Janke" or "Jahnke" family here in our Wisconsin area (Wausau) that we are also trying to connect with. Perhaps we are all related, but I cannot see where your family and ours are connected. We will keep looking....Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic