Search for content in message boards

Anyone know these McGillis

Anyone know these McGillis

Helen Cooperrider (View posts)
Posted: 8 Dec 2003 2:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McGillis, Thomas, St.Denis and Poitra
Just started going over my family tree.

My grandmother Emma McGillis b. 1916 in Montana she had a brother Mark(?) or Mac as well as two sisters, Virginia McGillis and Mary Sandle, the parents names were:
Louis McGillis b. 1875 in Sweetgrass Mt.
Margaret(Marguerite)Thomas b. 1884 in Havre Mt.

as far as I know we are part Chippewa, story goes that the tribe crossed into Canada during the hunting season. I remember cousins in Glacier Mt. have heard of cousins living in Great Falls,Havre & in Ontario, there may even be some relations in North Dakota at Turtle Mountain. My fathers name is Frank L. Powell.

Thanks

Re: Anyone know these McGillis

Posted: 24 Feb 2004 5:44PM GMT
Hi There,

I found a nice site dealing with the McGillis and Metis Indians, don't know if it will help

http://www.members.shaw.ca/rominator

Adriane McGillis (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2006 3:57AM GMT
My grandfather was Mark Howard McGillis and I know he had a sister named Emma. Grampa died a few years ago when I was in college. I never really took the opportunity to learn much about our Indian hertiage from him - mostly because I grew up so far away from him.

But I think my father, Joseph McGillis has family information that Grampa Mac compiled. My understanding is that we are of the Little Shell of the Chippewa.

Posted: 28 Feb 2008 2:36AM GMT
Surnames: McGillis
Mark Howard McGillis was my grandfather - he died a few years ago and I remember visiting Virginia and Emma as a child. Mac (Mark) had a number of documents and was of the Little Shell of the Chippewa - they have a website and if you're interested I'm sure someone there might be able to give you more information. I'm not sure you'll ever see this message but I'm located in Columbia, SC and my parents are in Lexington, KY - we're probably the only McGillis's in the phonebook.

Posted: 31 May 2010 12:39PM GMT
Virginia was my grandmother. I too am in Columbia and have a lot of pictures and information. Let me know if you are interested and we can talk off-site. My mother was your father's cousin "Tiny".

Posted: 13 Nov 2010 3:11PM GMT
Surnames: McGillis
Sorry that it has taken me so long in getting back to you. I do remember Tiny, I know my dad does for sure. I'm now in Arizona. I would be very interested with whatever information I could get!!

I'm on FaceBook Helen(Powell)Cooperrider as well as Yahoo as peg1680@yahoo.com.

Posted: 11 Dec 2010 5:48PM GMT
My mother is a McGillis from Great Falls Montana. Her dads name was Patrick McGillis, she is also Chippawa Cree desendant. I think she had an aunt named Mary LaMere(sp).which might have been her dads sister or his aunt.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions