Search for content in message boards

Liberty Chapel Cemetery near Libertytown, MD

Liberty Chapel Cemetery near Libertytown, MD

Sherri (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2005 12:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
A cemetery sits next to Chapel Evangelical Lutheran church on Daysville Road close to Libertytown, MD. This cemetery is apparently unnamed---it does not show on a cemetery search on any of the usual search sites and does not appear with a name on my Frederick County ADC map. (It is, however, noted with a red cross.) I think this may the old "Liberty Chapel Cemetery." It has some very old graves, one of which apparently has a death date of 1789, which is the oldest I've seen so far in Frederick County, Maryland. The oldest graves appear to be for the Albaugh family. The stones that are still standing are in German and the spelling is "Albachin" or "Ohlback." These stones have apparently been restored. Does anyone know if this is Liberty Chapel Cemetery and where I might find burial records? I've left a message with the church. I'm waiting to hear back, but I thought I might try here, too.

Re: Liberty Chapel Cemetery near Libertytown, MD

Posted: 26 Jan 2006 3:06PM GMT
Yes, this is also called Liberty Chapel Cemetery.

Any possiblility you took photographs of the German language tombstones? If so I would appreciate copies so I can have them translated. If not can you revisit sometime and take some good photos? My ancestor Anna Demuth d 1773 wife of Zachariah ALBAUGH-AHLBACH has a German language tombstone there along with a grand-daughter-in-law Dorothea HARTER wife of Zachariah III d. 1775, and perhaps other ALBAUGH's?

See my web site: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~sfollis/follis/alba...

Sherri (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2006 5:32PM GMT
I didn't take photos when I was there but I plan to go back next week and will take some then. I am also descended through Anna Demuth and Zachariah (through their son Johan Gerhard). Yes, Anna's grave is there and her tombstone is fairly clear. It is indeed in German but it's easy to see her name. I don't recall seeing Dorothea Harter's stone, but I will check again. Unfortunately, most of the oldest stones are gone, but 3 Albaugh stones have been restored. Anna Demuth's is readable; the others are not as legible but a German translator may turn up something. I'll send the photos to the e-mail address on your posting. Your web site is great! Thanks for posting the link.

Kathi Jones-Hudson (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2006 6:31PM GMT
Sherri:

Would you consider transcribing and photographing not only the Albaugh tombstones but all of Liberty Chapel and contribute them to the MD Tombstone Transcription Project? Or if you are unable to do that, would you at least do the Albaugh and/or other family members of yours for us? We would certainly like to add this cemetery, especially since it appears to be very old, and maybe hard to locate.

Here's our main project page:
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/maryland/maryland.html

We already have several transcriptions of Frederick Co. cemeteries complete with photos. Please contact me directly at mdcemmy@yahoo.com

Posted: 22 Nov 2009 12:16AM GMT
Surnames: Albaugh
I, too, am a descendent of Anna Demuth (Demeda)Schumann and Zacharias Albaugh through Johan Gerhardt. Was your Johann married to Anna Marie Pittenger? How exciting to actually read Anna Demuth's headstone. If you have a photo I would really like one, too.

Posted: 22 Nov 2009 12:31AM GMT
Surnames: Albaugh
I never received any photos, although it sounded like someone was going to take some and post online. I have some information on my web site: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~sfollis/fo... My line is Zachariah, Zachariah, Zacharias, Mary Albaugh - Samuel Eikenberry

I have a link to a photocopy of the tombstone someone took probably 20 years ago. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mygermanfa...

I hope someday to get a photograph.

Posted: 13 Feb 2010 9:51PM GMT
Hello. I believe there is a sign next to the cementary that reads "Union Chapel Cementary". My family is of German ancenstry. My grandmother and grandmother are buried there. Yes. It is located of of Libertytown MD. I should be getting some photos this week.

Posted: 13 Feb 2010 10:02PM GMT
Surnames: Albaugh, Ohlbaugh
I would still like some photos. I almost made it there last fall, but it started snowing and is too far to drive for an all day drive if the weather won't be perfect.

Posted: 13 Dec 2011 10:40PM GMT
Surnames: Wetzel
Have you ever found out whether or not anyone has transcribed the names on the grave stones in this cemetery? Many of my line are buried in the Rocky Hill Cemetery (the Grace Evagelical lutheran Church on Coppermine Rd near Woodsboro), but my father was born in Libertytown and I wonder if there is a record of any Wetzels buried in the Liberty Chapel Cemetery?

Posted: 13 Dec 2011 11:03PM GMT
Edited: 14 Dec 2011 1:58AM GMT
There is a book called Names in Stone which lists the tombstones of Frederick county until around 1950/60.

There are a couple of Wetzels at Liberty Chapel Cemetery, the one I can find is William G 1871-1934 and his wife Sarah E 1874-1923. I didn't see any others but I could have missed it.

If you have a paid subscription here then you can find a copy of it in the Card Catalog.

This also seems to be the same cemetery as "Union Chapel Cemetery" on find a grave, most the stones seem to have been transcribed as well.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic