Search for content in message boards

African American Slave infomation

African American Slave infomation

Char Bah (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCargo, Coleman, Roan, Roane, Anderson, Farmer, Lovelace, Stovall, Carter, Lipscomb, Wood, Bates, Betts, Oliver, Scott, Irving, Irvin, Wyatt, Venable, Veneable, Carden, Cardin, Syndor, Bailey, Pounds, Brandon, Burton, Graves, Jones, Carlton, Banks, McPhail, Owen, Edmunds, Edmonds, Powell, Hendericks, Terry, Younger, Brooks, Plenty, Torian, Womack, Wood, Clay, Henderson, Hawkins, Hughes, Barksdale, Russell, Clark, Yancey, Mitchell, Traynham, Beard, Medley
I am in the pre-civil war period in Halifax County, Virginia. I have been researching my ancestors for 18 years. I have mentioned many names of ancestors that I am researching. If you have any information on your will, inventories, or plantation records that mention slaves that might have been owned by the people with the last names I am researching I would appreciate it.

I have collected lots of wills and inventories mentioning slaves with the above name, but I am still collecting data. Thanks!

Did you get my E-mail

Marla Jones (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Sydnor, Crews, Mitchell, Washington
I was wondering if you got my E-mail i sent you information about my Sydnor's Richmond and Mary Sydnor of Halifax county. I have a will of William Sydnor and a inventory that list my gggrandparents Jenny and Boston Sydnor. I also now know the Stovall connection my ggaunt Emma Sydnor married Thomas Stovall on July 10th 1884 in Halifax county Thomas list his mothers name I think as Ida.my gguncle Giles Sydnor married Lizzie Traynham in Halifax county. let me know if you got my E-mail listing all my family GOD BLESS...
Posted: 10 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 11:49PM GMT
Surnames: Crews, Carr, Kent, Anderson
I have information on Emma Anderson Crews Carr b. 1877 and d. 1960. Her father was William Thomas Crews b. 1850, d. 1908. These people were from Halifax, Co., VA. If you have any connections to this line please contact me and we can share information.
Julia

CREWS Surname

LindacCarter (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: CREWS
Saw your posting on Snydor and also that you are researching
the CREWS surname.
Are your CREWS' from Virginia and if so, Does it include
James CREWS and Millicent BURFORD CREWS?
Thanks in advance.
Linda

Edmunds

Posted: 14 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2002 7:50PM GMT
Surnames: Edmunds
Seeking information on Winston Edmunds, owned by Paul C. Edmunds in Halifax County

Edmunds of Va.

Posted: 17 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2002 2:27AM GMT
Surnames: Edmunds, Allen, Dixon
I am searching Edmunds in Halifax Co. My gg-grandfather was Clem Edmunds (b. abt 1865). Found him in 1920 Census in Pittsburgh, Pa. His parents were Lit and Susan Edmunds. Any info would be helpful.
Annette

Oliver Family

Char McCargo Bah (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Oliver, Irvin, Barksdale
Carol,

I am a African American and I am related to the Oliver, Irvin, and Barksdale of Halifax County, Virginia. My information is from 1820 back to 1840s. Unfortunately, I do not have information on the present day Oliver, Irvin and Barksdale. Many of my relatives lost their connection to them beyond the 1920s period of time. Thanks!

Oliver Family

Posted: 27 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2001 1:10AM GMT
Surnames: Oliver, Irvin, Barksdale
I have been researching the Oliver Family. My great-grandparents were Bettie Ann Irvin and Addison Herman Oliver. Addison was believed to have been born in Dan River District of Pittsylvania County, Sutherlin, Virginia October of 1850. Addison was a slave. After the Emancipation Proclamation, Addison took the name of one of his owners and was freed. I'm not sure of his wife's birth place. She may have been born in Halifax County, Virginia. The family lived in Pittsylvania County, Sutherlin, Virginia which is at the edge of Pittsylvania and Halifax Counties on the Chaney family property.

One of the Oliver's daughters, Mary Elizabeth Oliver married Barney Barksdale in 1900.

Mary Elizabeth Barksdale born in Halifax County, Paces, Virginia in August of 1886. She was daughter of Jefferson and Marie Barksdale. Mary E. Barksdale married George Thomas Oliver, one of the Oliver's sons in 1908.

Barksdales of Halifax,VA

Posted: 8 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Sep 2001 8:59PM GMT
Surnames: Barksdale, Logan, Wood
I am looking for a connection to the Barksdales of Halifax Co., VA. I only have a few given names I remember hearing when I was young -Isham, Fountain, Peter. I know from some research Isham had at least 10 children (Paul, Daniel, Ella, Clara, Adron +). My father also told me Isham had a brother who took the name of Logan.

Barksdale/Oliver

Posted: 8 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Sep 2001 8:59PM GMT
Surnames: Barksdale
I don't remember Barney Barksdale but he was a cousin and friend to my father Albert. As a child of 8 or 9 I remember attending his funeral in the late 50's or early 60's. He was a member and deacon of the Nazarene Bapt. Church in Phila., PA. Maybe they have some information to help you. Good luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic