Search for content in message boards

Gray Family on Hatteras Island, NC

Gray Family on Hatteras Island, NC

Posted: 14 Aug 2010 4:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gray
I am working on reconstrucing the early Gray family on Hatteras Island by using deeds, wills, the census and tax lists along with family histories. Here is a sumamry of what I've found.

In 1737, we find our first Gray on Hatteras Island with the purchase of land by Thomas Gray from Mary Russell and witnessed by Jacob Farrow. However, we see nothing more of this Thomas who would have to have been born no later than about 1712 and possibly much earlier.
In 1755 we find no Gray men on the tax list, but in 1779 we find Thomas Gray on the tax list and a William Gray listed as "single". Also in Currituck County, but not on Hatteras we find Edward and Griffith Gray, married, and Robert who is single. I did not follow these men as they are not on Hatteras Island.

In 1764 William Gray purchases land at Kinnekeet from Thomas Jones.
By 1790 and 1800, on Hatteras we find Thomas, Joseph and William, with Joseph and William likely being the sons of Thomas, if Thomas is the original Thomas and not a son.
By 1800 and 1810, the next generation of Gray males is becoming evident in the census, and in legal documents as well, with Joshua and Robert appearing.
Unfortunately, the original Thomas does not have a will, and neither does his apparent son William. There is a will for a Joseph Gray in 1806, but it is unclear whether this is the correct Joseph, especially with only 3 heirs listed, . This Joseph apears to be a younger Joseph although without further documentation, it's very difficult to discern between individuals.
In 1793, a Joshua Gray has a will leaving wife Nancea and 3 underage children, William, Rebecker and Frances, but the witnesses do not look like Hatteras Island names. In 1784, Lemuel Gray has a will as well, also leaving two underage children with his wife's uncle, Thomas Taylor as executor. Again, the witnesses don't appear to be Hatteras Island names.

If anyone knows anything about the Gray Family on Hatteras, I'd really appreciate your help.

Roberta Estes
robertajestes@att.net

Re: Gray Family on Hatteras Island, NC

Posted: 17 Jan 2011 6:04PM GMT
Wish I had more to offer you but my family line runs into a brick wall with Abner Gray b 1790 on Hatteras Island. No information before him. One of his sons was named Joshua & his wife was Sabrina. Possibly Abner may have been one of the descendents of those you mentioned.

Cheryl Gray-McDonald

Posted: 17 Jan 2011 6:04PM GMT
Wish I had more to offer you but my family line runs into a brick wall with Abner Gray b 1790 on Hatteras Island. No information before him. One of his sons was named Joshua & his wife was Sabrina. Possibly Abner may have been one of the descendents of those you mentioned.

Cheryl Gray-McDonald

Posted: 14 May 2011 9:16PM GMT
Are you aware of the Gray Family Reunion Sunday, July 17th in Hatteras?

Posted: 24 Jun 2011 10:15PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jun 2011 7:45PM GMT
Surnames: Gray
My Grandfathers family is from Avon on Hatteras Island. My Ggrandmother was Margaret Etheridge Scarborough Gray and she had 2 daughters(Mrs. Dempsey Perry of Kill Devil Hills & Mrs. Bertha Gray of Viginia Beach) and 3 sons, Jesse,Bateman and Ignatius who was my Grandfather who died in New Jersey (Coast Guard)rescuing people off the burning Morro Castle Ship. He died at age 30 and there was no family contact after that. I just started researching the Gray side of the family and wanted to know how to get more info on the Gray reunion. I don't know if any of my relatives are still there? Thanks for any info, Dave

Posted: 25 Jun 2011 12:50AM GMT
It will be Sunday,July 17th at the Hatteras Civic Center at 12:30. Email Debbie Gray Reilly to see if you can still join us. The cut off is past but who knows. Her email is

kevdebreilly@bellsouth.net or
janetconrad@windstream.net (Janet Conrad)

The luncheon cost is $17/person. Hope this works out for you/us. We would love to meet you too. I don't know how much we will learn but probably more than most of us know now. Currently around 48 people are to attend.

Posted: 26 Jun 2011 3:02PM GMT
What was the name of Margaret Etheridge's husband? Was it by any chance Richard Gray who married a Margaret Etheridge on 2 Oct 1851?

Jean

Posted: 26 Jun 2011 5:04PM GMT
That's what I'm trying to find out. My father and my aunt do not remember their Grandfather's name. And they did not mention his name in Margaret's obituary I guess because he pre-desceased her. Ignatius Gray who was from Avon,NC moved to New Jersey and family contact stopped when he died at age 30 (1934) my father was only 6 months old at the time. So I am searching for his name.

Dave

Posted: 26 Jun 2011 5:35PM GMT
Margaret Etheridge Scarborough Gray (Etheridge is her middle name and not a last name) was the daughter of Zion Flowers Scarborough and Mary Elizabeth Wallace Midgett and the wife of Ignatius Meekins Gray who was the son of bannister Midgett "Red Ban" Gray and Rosa M. Meekins. (I hope this helps!)
Tammy

Posted: 26 Jun 2011 8:16PM GMT
This helps alot, this is the infomation that I was looking for to start my research. Thank you, Dave
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions