Search for content in message boards

War of 1812: British and Canadian Troop Lists

War of 1812: British and Canadian Troop Lists

Posted: 12 Oct 2011 3:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
It is stated that 6,034 British soldiers were involved in the War of 1812. Additionally local Canadian militia fought. Are there lists of the names of these soldiers? Isaac Brock and Preble were two of the main officers. With the celebration of the 200th anniversary of this war in Canada, are they compiling a list of the soldiers. It would seem that if the number of soldiers is known, there would be a list of them somewhere?

Re: War of 1812: Bedard

Posted: 16 Oct 2011 4:12PM GMT
Good question, Lois. My gr-gr-grandfather's land record in Bathurst Twp, Lanark County states: Simon Bodart the elder, private in the Canadian Fencibles. This is the ONLY record I have of his involvment in the War of 1812, despite hours of research. I have looked high and low for lists of names, found only a few from the American side. If Simon (and his son Simon, the younger) received land for their participation, you would think their involvement would be recorded somewhere.
Judi
compbill@kingston.net

Re: War of 1812: British and Canadian Troop Lists

Posted: 23 Oct 2011 8:41AM GMT
This may be a help - a list of all British prisoners held by the use was compiled -by surnames then regiment or vessel etc.
I photographed this list 15,000 names and it can be found at
http://www.1812privateers.org/Great%20Britain/prisoners.htm

Posted: 24 Oct 2011 8:13AM GMT
Hello

Wanted to thank you for putting these online.

Danny

Posted: 24 Oct 2011 8:14AM GMT
Hello

Did you check the muster rolls and paylists at Library and Archives Canada?

Danny

Posted: 24 Oct 2011 8:45AM GMT
I hope to have a clearer version up by Christmas - I'm going down to London in middle of next month - good to know it's of use

Posted: 1 Nov 2011 9:51PM GMT
Would I have to go to Archives in Ottawa to view payroll lists or is it online somewhere. I hate driving in cities.
Judi

Posted: 2 Nov 2011 4:01AM GMT
Hi

They are on microfilm. Either you go yourself or see if the microfilm is available for ILL and have you local library order it for you... as long as your library as a microfilm reader.

Danny

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 4:09PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jan 2013 4:11PM GMT
Surnames: Dixon,Thompson, Martin, Bowyer, White, Bygrove, Fraser,
Thank you for providing the first real and tangible and accessable records that can be searched for information on our British and British-Canadian ancestors who served during the war of 1812... and all without extorting further credit card info. Several of my (+/-) 4th-Great Grandfathers either served or received land in Canada at that time and I cannot thank you enough for bringing this precious information to the light of day.
I am at your service. Respectfully, StevenJamesBowyerDicksonBonfortiWamback

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 4:53PM GMT
Delighted you found it of use - you may find more of interest at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Best wishes,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions