Search for content in message boards

Blocking members

Blocking members

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 9:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Another subscriber has been copying huge chunks of information , photographs and wills and attaching them to what appear to be random people on her tree with no connection to the "real" people concerned. She has not responded to polite messages so I have blocked her from accessing my tree. Can anyone tell me how come she is still able to copy stuff? I thought blocking her meant she couldn't.
I have no objection to sharing information with anyone and have done so frequently and made many new friends this way, but this is beyond a joke.
Any advice please apart from making my tree private which I don'r really want to do for other people's sake who are far more genuine in their research,
Hilary

Re: Blocking members

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 12:31PM GMT
Have you contact Ancestry directly and asked for their help?

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 12:52PM GMT
I have no experience of what blocking someone actually does, but are you sure this user is copying items directly from your tree? To explain what I mean....

I made one of my trees private a year or more ago, excluding any of it coming up in searches too, and only the other day I got a notification in the Recent Member Connect Activity box on my home page which said "2 photos from your tree were saved to X in Y's tree". It was clear, when I clicked on the link and hovered the mouse pointer over the 2 photos in Y's media gallery for X, that at least one other person had copied the photos when my tree was still public, and that's why they're available to copy as long as those other trees are public too.

I'm not complaining, by the way, although I sometimes regret having put any media on line at all.... but I think this might be how the other user is still apparently copying things from your tree, even though you've blocked her.

Christine

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 3:05PM GMT
How do you "block" someone from accessing your tree other than by making your tree Private?

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 3:40PM GMT
The "block user" feature is only for ACOM messages. You mentioned that you've sent messages to the offending person about the information she's copied from your tree but the person hasn't responded to you. If you've blocked her, she can't respond to you even if she wanted to.

As long as you've got a public tree, anyone can copy the information and/or photos from it. There is no blocking feature on public trees.

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 3:43PM GMT
Blocking is straightforward, you just go onto the person's profile and there's a button there to click.

Thanks also for the other two replies, I think the second comment about stuff being available on other trees is probably the case as I do research alongside several other people looking at the same families as me, so unless we all block this person there's nothing else to do.It's so frustrating though. I wouldn't mind so much if she would reply to messages, at least then I might be able to help her or at least explain,

Hilary

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 3:46PM GMT
Thank you Bonedigger, I didn't know that, I thought the blocking meant everything was blocked - it's not clear is it? I might as well unblock her then and see if she replies. What's an ACOM message?

Hilary

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 5:19PM GMT
ACOM is an abbreviation/acronym for Ancestry.com. All registered members to the site are able to send and receive messages through ACOM's message system.

There is a little green envelope icon (or should be) at the top right of your screen when you're logged into your account where you'll also find the hints icon and your username. It's next to a leaf, which is the icon for tree hints. The envelope will have a number if you have unread messages in your message inbox. You can click the icons to go directly to your messages or hints.

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 5:25PM GMT
Edited: 23 Nov 2012 5:27PM GMT
>>What's an ACOM message?<<

In this case it means a private message sent from one Ancestry.com (ACOM) member/user to another. At the upper right of your screen, there is an envelope icon, this will display a number, ex. (1), next to it, if you've been sent a private message.

>>All registered members to the site are able to send and receive messages through ACOM's message system.<<

Only ACOM paying subscribers can initiate a private message to another member, but any status member who receives a private message can respond to it.

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 6:50PM GMT
Thanks both of you, I thought it was something more complicated than that - I didn't realise it had a special name,
Hilary
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions