Search for content in message boards

Joel Jenkins

Joel Jenkins

Linda Ward (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jenkins, Wood, House, Neill, Tooley, Hunt
There was someone earlier who was researching Joel Jenkins. I have the following article that came from "The Heritage" from Muhlenberg Co. Gen. soc. Jan., Feb. March 1991, Vol 13, No 1.

"In a special edition of Ancestor Retrieval Messenger, by Bobby Anderson. . . he poses the question: Did they find Joel's wife's grave?

The answer is "we think so" and "we hope so." The question refers to the wife of Joel Jenkins, Sarah (Sallie) Wood Jenkins, who mothered the first 14 of Joel's 24 children.

On a farm in the edge of Butler co.(next to Muhl. Co.) near Arnold's Bridge (Hwy 949). "Sallie Jenkins, b. 20 Jul 1795, d. 13 Nov 1839." This was the only engraved stone found in the undergrowth.

A check of records reveal that Joel Jenkins, the son of Jesse and Martha House Jenkins came to Butler Co. from North Carolina shortly after 1800. These were the first Jenkins to settle in South Muhlenberg and North Logan Co. Joel was b. 24 Jul 1774 in NC (probably Rowan Co.) and m. Sarah Wood in Muhlenberg 17 Dec 1811. (Note: some genealogists still contend Joel Jenkins m. Polly Neill in Logan Co. the same year.)

Joel and Sarah had 14 children (13 of whom can be named)before her death. Joel remarried in 1840, when he was 66 years old, he and 13-year-old Martha (Patsey) Tooley on 29 Oct 1840. On two horses, they rode to Springfield TN and were married. This marriage produced 10 children, all of whom are documented.

Joel Jenkins d. 13 Feb. 1863, almost 89 years old. He is buried in the Green Hill cemetery on his old farm just across the road and up the hill from his residence and that of Crawfor Hunt.

The fact that he remarried in 1840, about a year following the death of Sallie, whose grave was recently found, is one bit of evidence that this is his first wife. The second, and perhaps a stronger bit of evidence is that the tombstone at Sallie's grave is exactly the same as the one marking Joel's grave, with the exception of their names and dates.

A descendant of Richmond V. Jenkins, s/o Joel and sallie, tells the story, told by her grandmother, that Sallie was buried in the backyard of their home. So this could be, would be, and probably is the same Sallie Jenkins, wife of Joel."

Jenkins

Linda Ward (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Jenkins
Hi Jen, don't be sorry. Neither Joel is mine. I just happened to run across this while I was searching for my Jenkins and thought you might be interested, particularly the details about Joel's second marriage. I just wish I could find who my John Jenkins is connected to.

Linda

Joel's wife

Posted: 4 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2003 1:49PM GMT
Linda, Sorry but after all the research that I have done on Butler Co. I truly believe that Polly is the mother of my Joel Jenkins (and the mother of his 14 kids). All the facts that I have found state that the other Joel and Sallie had only 2 children--William and Prudence. I am closing the chapter on this unless someone can absolutely change my mind. By the way, there are 2 Joels--one born in 1774(yours) and one in 1780 (mine). Thanks for letting me know though. I was also contacted by Polly's family and they agree with me. Thanks! Jen

John Jenkins

Linda Ward (View posts)
Posted: 6 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Hi Jen, I wish you could help me. My John Jenkins was married to a Mary A. On the 1870 Butler Co. Census, Mary Ann Jenkins is a widow, with five children: Cornelia, Audrey, Sarah, Ann, and Ellen. On the 1880 Census she is listed as Mary A, with her son Andy J. Mary A. Jenkins went on to marry Isaac Newton Taylor on December 22, 1884 in Butler co.

What was really confusing at first was that Joel Jenkins (subject of original posting) has a son named John who also married a Mary A. I finally confirmed that my John Jenkins was not this Joel Jenkins' son John, but still have no idea who his father is. My John's wife, Mary A., was 31 on the 1870 census, so she was born ca. 1839. I am assuming that John was born by then or perhaps a few years earlier. I have found some John Jenkins married to Mary A.'s, but none of them seem to fit. Any help that you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

John Jenkins

Posted: 6 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Jul 2003 1:49PM GMT
Surnames: JENKINS
I have 6 John's on my Jenkins file. All are related to the bunch that lived in Butler Co. Let me know some info on him--I might be able to help. Also I have found that sometimes the names John and James were interchanged--and I have James' on my file too. Jen

Jenkins

Linda Ward (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Mark, do you have a source(s) for the Jenkins info?

Linda

jenkins

Mark Tevault (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
My records show that a Benjamin Jenkins b. 1833 d. bef 1870 married Mary Ann Medford b. 1939. They had the following children:

Cornelia A b. 1856 m. Frank Gaines

Andrew J b. 1858 m. Victoria Adkins

Sarah J b. 1860 m. Elijah W Ward

Annie Eliza b. 1862 m. Alexander Jenkins (son of Brandon & Eliza Baugh)

Mary Ellen b. 1864 m. Charles C Brown

Viola b. 1866 m. Finis Jenkins (son of Eli Jenkins & ?)

I show Benjamin Jenkins as the son of Thomas Jenkins and Martha Wester.

Thomas Jenkins is the son of William H Jenkins and Sarah Engler.

Jenkins

Linda Ward (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Mark, Thanks so much for the info. You have just solved a great mystery for me. I had the 1850 census, but that was all. I couldn't find anything on the 1860 census either. I'll check the surrounding counties for 1860. I didn't know about the children John T. and Viola. I have searched for this link for quite some time, and am extremely happy to finally have the information. I can't thank you enough. If I can help you at any time, please let me know.

Linda

Jenkins

Mark Tevault (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
1850 Butler Co, Census

Dwelling 139

Jenkins, Thomas 44 S C

Martha 39 S C

Benjamin 17 Ky

George B 15

Robert 12

William 10

Julia Anne 7

Squire M 6

Joseph W 4

Martha A 2

Dwelling 871

Mefford, John 37 Ky

Fathy 32

Andrew J 11

Mary A 10

John A 8

Jane 6

Sally 3

Eliza 1

Benjamin Jenkins (age 22) married Mary Ann Mefford (age 15) on 29 April 1854 Butler County Marriage Bond

The following entries are copied from the Butler County Birth Records:

John T Jenkins b. 14 August 1855 to Benj'n Jenkins and Mary Ann Mefford

Cornelia A Jenkins b. 26 September 1856 to Benj'n Jenkins and Mary Ann Mefford

Andrew J Jenkins b. 17 Oct 1858 to Benj'n Jenkins and Mary Ann Mefford

I cannot find them on the 1860 census, but Mary Ann is a widow by 1870 as you stated.

Boone Jenkins

Nellie Pickett (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 1998 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: JENKINS
I am looking for information on Boone Jenkins that married a Martha ?. The only other information that I have is that they had a son named Marvin Lee b 1915. Can anyone help with this family?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions