Search for content in message boards

Combine user tree with other user tree

Combine user tree with other user tree

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 6:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
I might be overlooking this option, but I have gotten several hints with other members tree. I want to see if there is away for me to take what has already been done with other users tree and combine them to mine, so the work doesn't have to be repeated.

Re: Combine user tree with other user tree

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 3:37PM GMT
If you mean in one operation- no.

You can, although it is frowned upon by most experienced genealogists, copy one person at a time from someone else's tree to yours but doing that is sure to lead to duplicates, incorrect information, etc. so why bother?

In the long run it is better to research each person yourself and manually enter the data.

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 4:21PM GMT
I second Andy's suggestion and also recommend you obtain for free or purchase a genealogy software program for your computer. Trying to take shortcuts to good genealogy research is never a good idea and most of the time will result in junkology to use the phrase other's have deemed bad trees. Don't be in such a hurry. Do your own research. Use the hints as a guide but never combine another's tree with yours. In the first place, that will not work with the Ancestry member tree and in the second place, you may get many duplicates. Take it easy, enter data manually and do the best research you can first. In the long run, you will be glad you did.

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 4:38PM GMT
I have read two members posting, but this is what I now already. I have review the other member tree and found everything is correct. Thier tree goes back to the 1780's where mine is so far only into the 1880's. If the opition "to merge" trees was aviliable to the user, I could always go back and make my own correction. I just feel that Ancestry.com will take information from other reasources, but won't share theirs is not good business. Is there away to download the tree? I see away to upload, but not download the tree file. Whats up with that?

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 4:42PM GMT
It is only the tree owner who can download a tree... remember, these are member trees and belong to the member posting the tree and they do not belong to Ancestry. Thus, Ancestry should have no say whatsoever in to whom, how or when they are accessible to non-owners.

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 4:44PM GMT
OK can you show or tell me how I can download my own tree?

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 5:10PM GMT
You say "I have review the other member tree and found everything is correct. Thier tree goes back to the 1780's where mine is so far only into the 1880's."

If you have evidence linking each person and place and relationship, why not just enter it in your tree together with citations to the evidence? Trees are not evidence; they may rarely be conclusions of someone who did actual evidentiary research, but nearly always they are the result of clicking to add stuff from other trees, or some copied gedcom uploaded. Many trees' saying the same thing is only evidence of copying, not evidence of accuracy.

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 5:12PM GMT
Thank you

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 5:18PM GMT
From any individual overview page or from the tree overview page, run mouse over "tree pages" link and click on "tree settings" in drop-down list.

On the right is option to export your tree.

What method you use for download will depend on what type of desktop genealogy program you have (latest FamilyTreeMaker or other). Follow the prompts.

For most desktop programs you can only export tree as gedcom file. This will lose all photos, stories and most citation-links to ancestry.com sites.

You can not download another person's Ancestry Member Tree, although some of the trees on Rootsweb's WorldConnect allow downloading a gedcom file.

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 6:07PM GMT
Unless the user of the account gives me access to their tree, I can down their tree, right?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions