Search for content in message boards

Two private trees-can't work between them?

Two private trees-can't work between them?

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 4:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
I don't know if this is the right board to post this query, but here goes---I purchased the FTM12 almost a year ago for the synch function. Unfortunately I quickly found that my home tree could not be linked to my existing tree on Ancestry.com so uploaded a new tree. Since I did not keep my home tree & Ancestry trees always completely up to date with each other, there was lots of info in one and not the other so at first all was going along fine and I was able to use my old tree to add any missing info to my new tree, but since Ancestry.com removed that function on private trees I am no longer able to "add this person to another tree". I thought that I would try making my "old" tree briefly public in order to take media items and persons from it and add to the new tree, but that did not seem to fix the problem either unless there is some kind of delay in doing this. Does anyone have any answers or suggestions on what to do? By the way, the trees have approximately 20,000 persons or more. Thanks, Cindy

Re: Two private trees-can't work between them?

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 5:37PM GMT
I'm not understanding most of your issue. You might want to check out the FTM board for issues with FTM.

However, I can comment on this issue:

>> but since Ancestry.com removed that function on private trees I am no longer able to "add this person to another tree".<<

This function has not been removed.

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 7:07PM GMT
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I will try the FTM tech board. I was told that Ancestry did remove the "add this to my tree" function in the case of private trees since there had been many complaints of photographs, etc. being added to trees of those invited but without permission for the use of those items. I could be mistaken, but it seems to hold true in my case. I can no longer add items from my mother's tree to mine. We both maintain private trees and share them with each other as well as others. Perhaps there is another issue going on with my tree. Thanks again, Cindy

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 7:56PM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2012 2:48AM GMT
The function hasn't been removed, it's been moved.

Go to the profile page of a shared individual (same person in both private trees)in your tree. Hit the Member Connect bar, the data of the individual in the other private tree should appear, whether or not you've previously connected the profiles. You can copy any data, including images, from the profile in a private tree you're invited to, to yours.

>>As an aside, Member Connect is not available for living people.<<

There may be limitations depending on what status your tree invitation is, ie, whether you've been allowed to view living people.

>>I can click on the "add this person to my tree" and a list of my trees comes up, but when I try to select the tree I want, it will not let me. <<

This sounds like a browser issue, try another browser and see if that doesn't clear up that issue.

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 8:23PM GMT
I don't know about dklart's suggestion: I can not get any of my trees to show up under "member connect" tab for another of my trees for the same person.

The "save person to another tree" function is available including in private trees: on a person profile page, look for "more options" next to the printer icon and click on the arrow for the drop-down list.

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 9:01PM GMT
Hi, I tried the suggestion of using "Member connect" but my own "Old" tree does not come up nor does my mother's (all private trees)I even invited myself with my username to the tree to see if that would make a difference, but does not seem to work? Thanks, Cindy

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 9:06PM GMT
There is also a link labelled "save this person to your tree" in the upper right hand side on the profile page of an individual. Once you click that, you can chose a person from the list of people already in your tree, so as not to create a duplicate. Once done, you should see media from the person in the first tree appear as hints for the person in the 2nd tree... you should also be able to access the media from the member connect tab once the "connection" has been made using the "add this person" link.

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 10:53PM GMT
Thanks. Tried that also, but only see my public tree come up. I can click on the "add this person to my tree" and a list of my trees comes up, but when I try to select the tree I want, it will not let me. Think I will have to call Ancestry and see if they can help me to figure it out. Thanks for the suggestions. Cindy

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 11:22PM GMT
As an aside, Member Connect is not available for living people.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions