Search for content in message boards

Malinda Beauchamp, Clayton, Thompson and Family

Malinda Beauchamp, Clayton, Thompson and Family

Hope Clayton (View posts)
Posted: 24 Nov 2003 9:18AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clayton
The above named person was married to Middleton Clayton and moved to Itawamba County, Mississippi. After Middleton died she married Eli Thompson. She was my 3rd great grandmother.

I am interested in finding people who are related to her and I am particularly seeking information on her children. Did Green listed on the 1850 census die in the Civil War? Did he marry? He is not mentioned in any letters, I have. Who did her daughters marry? Did she have daughters Patience and Sallie or Sarah who both married the same man, Floyd Martin? Malinda's daughter Sarah or Sallie was living in Texas by 1913, if not before. I just do not know who she married. Anyone connected to the other daughters? What are the girls and husbands names?

Malinda's son John J. Clayton moved from Itawamba County, to Baxter County, Arkansas. He made the move about 1876 - 1878. He then moved at a later date to Hill County, Texas where he died. I am unsure when he died but I have a letter mentioning one of his son's visiting him and reporting he was doing poorly. This was after 1900.

My Great great grandmother, Malinda's youngest daughter, Nancy had moved to Baxter County, Arkansas in 1870. After Nancy's husband died in 1892 she moved in 1895 to Texas. First she moved to Hill County then to Franklin County before settling in Delta County, Texas, where she is buried.

I know where Malinda was last living, in Arkansas.The 1880 census is for Baxter County Arkansas, Union Township. She lived with John and next door to her daughter Nancy. I suspect she might have died there, but I have as yet found no record of her grave. It is slightly possible she died in Texas as well. I do not know when John moved to Texas or why. The last record of Malinda is the 1880 census, when she was 79. It is possible she lived for some time after that as her daughter Nancy was 88 when she died and my great grandma, her grandaughter was 93, at her passing.

I would like help in putting this family together. I have more to offer if anyone is connected. Some last names mentioned in my letters and records are Friday, Martin, Barton and several people with no last names, who might be known by someone if I can find some families who are related. I will assist anyone if I have anything of interest to them.

All help will be appreciated.

Re: Malinda Beauchamp, Clayton, Thompson and Family

linda (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2004 7:30PM GMT
Hope,

My Clayton lines are as follows:

Ellis May Clayton/Grandmother

Merrell Winston Clayton/Great Grandfather

John M Clayton/Great Great Grandfather

William Clayton/Great Great Great Grandfather

Middleton Clayton/Great Great Great Great Grandfather

Unknown Clayton-Henrietta ? Clayton/ GGGGG Grandparents

I know that one of Melinda's daughters married a Harris or Kerris(Ithink this was his first name) Dunn and she and Melinda were together in Itawamba county Ms on the 1860(I think-I dont have my notes with me right now) census. I found where she married Eli Thompson but that is where I lost her and knew that Middleton must have died. Henrietta was on the Itawamba county census with son Middleton and Melinda in 1850 and in Marion County Alabama on the 1860 census in the house of her daughter, Mary Theiss (Tice)'s son. William and Nancy were nearby with their son, John M. (my ancestor).

Linda

linda (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2004 7:46PM GMT
Hope,

I forgot in the last message to add that I will be happy to share any info with you and that I am so glad to find you because I have not been able to find anyone researching any other child other than my line through William and Nancy's son John M Clayton who died after the Civil War. I thought that most of them must have moved on westward.

Linda

Posted: 16 Aug 2007 4:16PM GMT
Surnames: Beauchamp, Parker, Clayton, Thompson, Evans, Burnett
Are you still researching this family? Would love to correspond with you.

I have recently found the connection in my family to Malinda Beauchamp who married Middleton Clayton. Was so excited to find your post. I lost Malinda after she married Eli Thompson so was glad to see your post about AK. Now I have that census record also. Thanks.

I'm looking for proof of her lineage to her parents William Beauchamp and Nancy Parker.

I am a descendant of Malinda's through her husband Middleton. Their daughter Henrietta married Thomas Evans in Paulding Co., GA then moved to Itawamba Co., MS.

Henrietta and Thomas had a daughter named Sarah Mayo Evans who married my g-gfather George Washington Burnett. Their son John Burnett married Lena Ray Harris in Monroe Co., MS and later moved to Jefferson Co., AL.

You mentioned in your message that John Clayton moved to AK about 1876-1878 and to Hill Co., TX. My Thomas Evans (Malinda's son-in-law), his second wife Mary, and some adult children also moved to Hill Co. TX around 1877.

Will be glad to share any information I have that may interest you.

Marlene

Posted: 16 Aug 2007 4:22PM GMT
Surnames: Beauchamp, Clayton, Parker, Thompson, Burnett, Harris, Williams
Glad to find another person who has been researching this family. Are you still seeking information?

I am a descendant of Malinda's through her husband Middleton. Their daughter Henrietta married Thomas Evans in Paulding Co., GA then moved to Itawamba Co., MS.

Henrietta and Thomas had a daughter named Sarah Mayo Evans who married my g-grandfather George Washington Burnett. After Henrietta’s death, Thomas married Mary Williams. They moved to Hill Co., TX around 1877, although Mary may have gone back home (she’s listed on the Itawamba Co., MS census in 1880 as well as the Hill Co. TX census with her husband). I have also seen a divorce petition for Thomas and Mary Evans that is probably them.

Their son John Burnett married Lena Ray Harris in Monroe Co., MS and later moved to Jefferson Co., AL. where my parents were born.

I am looking for proof of Malinda being a child of William Beauchamp and Nancy Parker.

Will be glad to share any information I have that may interest you.

Marlene

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 3:23PM GMT
Hope, I'm very interested in getting information from you. I've been working on documenting this family and since you have letter, I'd be interested in seeing them so that I can further document. There are issues where folks (including myself) have confused children of Middleton and Melinda with his brother who also lived in the same area and many of the kids are named the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking foward to hearing from you. Thanks Nolin Christensen

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 11:03PM GMT
Malinda Beauchamp Clayton was my 3rd great-grandmother.

Her daughter Malinda Sarah Clayton married Harris Dunn sometime before 1846 (their son Christopher was born in 1846). Harris died before the 1860 census; Malinda is living in her widowed daughter Sarah's home at the time of that census.

Sarah later married Jacob Floyd Martin (26 Jun 1862) and had a son Newton Martin. She is listed with Floyd Martin in Itawamba Co., MS on the 1870 census.

Living with Sarah Dunn and Malinda Clayton in 1860 is Newton Clayton, who is the right age to be the Green Clayton that was in Malinda's home at the time of the 1850 census. I believe Newton and Green are the same person.

According to his military records, Newton was wounded at the Battle of the Wilderness on 5 May 1864; died two days later on May 7.

Malinda's daughter Henrietta is my great-great grandmother - she married Thomas Jefferson Evans.

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 11:24PM GMT
Jacob Floyd Martin's 1st wife was Caroline, from GA (per the 1860 census in Itawamba Co., MS). She is probably the Susan C. Clayton that married Jacob F. Martin in Fayette Co., GA on 2 Mar 1836. I have not yet spent any time tracking down this Clayton.

Floyd Martin and my Thomas Jefferson Evans were neighbors/friends - I have found them witnessing on deeds together. My Henrietta Clayton Evans died in MS and her husband Tom remarried. He and family then moved to Hill Co., TX around 1876-1878, same time John Clayton moved to Arkansas... then later to Hill Co., TX also.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions