Search for content in message boards

James Surratt, Surat

James Surratt, Surat

Douglas Ogle (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2006 10:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Surratt, or Surat
Does anyone know anything about James Surratt or James Surat, who supposedly lived long enough to become the oldest man in Virginia, and was of indian descent. He lived in a log cabin in Bland County and became a celebrity being photographed for postcards?

Re: James Surratt, Surat

Posted: 5 May 2007 2:51AM GMT
My grandfather was James P. Surratt of Carroll County, VA. According to the 1920 Census several Surratt's lived in Pine Brook. You may find who you are looking for there. My g-father died in 1963 and was about 80yrs. Hope you find who you are looking for
k

Posted: 6 May 2007 3:41PM GMT
Thanks for the information. I'm related to the Surratts from Carroll Co. too, by marriage. I was raised in Hillsville. The James I'm looking for was never known to be in Carroll, and is sort of a Bland Co. monument, but thanks anyway. Best. Doug

Posted: 26 Jul 2007 4:00AM GMT
The centennial History of Bland County, Virginia, published in 1861, contains a sketch about Jimmie Surat and a photo of him sitting in front of his cabin. Per this sketch:

Jimmie Surat (pronounced Cert)--"one of the most colorful, unique and the undisputed oldest citizen ever to reside in Bland County"--was said to have come to Bland Co from the Carolinas, and was a half Blackfoot Indian who came to Virginia when his tribe was forced out of the Carolinas(this is highly dubious, since the Blackfoot were Sioux, not Cherokee). However he got to Bland Co, he lived in a cabin on Brushy Mountain. His first wife was Suze, his second wife Liz. With Liz, he had four children: a boy and three girls. He is said in the sketch to have died at age 120. He registered to vote in Bland 15 Sep 1902 and gave his age in 1902 as about 90. He died in 1915, per the sketch, and he is buried in the town cemetery in Bland. (Obviously, all these dates don't quite add up, but he evidently did live to a very old age.)

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of any of this (none of the sketches are signed, and some contain some fanciful tales), but this is a summary of what the sketch contains.

James and Lizzie Surratt are listed on the 1910 Bland Co census, he is listed as age 90, born in NC, parents b unknown, and a basket maker by occupation. She is age 45, born in VA, and a washer woman. Their 12 year old granddaughter Margaret lives with them. They are listed as white.

Hope this is of interest to you!

Sandra Kidd

Posted: 22 Jan 2008 1:08PM GMT
His wife Liz, was Elizabeth Tickle a relative of mine.
They had a child Ol, whom was the sorce of a
lot of stories. People said that after Jimmy died, she
lived with a black family in Bland. Think she may have
married one of them. The relatives here say Liz
died in the Poor House in Pulaski and is
probably buried on the grounds. I don't know
where the poor house was. Just somewhere along RT 11
between Pulaski and Dublin. I was at what was left
of his cabin in the late 60s. I'm sure there's
nothing now, as there wasn't much then.
Jo Ann jotickle@aol.com

Posted: 22 Jan 2008 1:08PM GMT
His wife Liz, was Elizabeth Tickle a relative of mine.
They had a child Ol, whom was the sorce of a
lot of stories. People said that after Jimmy died, she
lived with a black family in Bland. Think she may have
married one of them. The relatives here say Liz
died in the Poor House in Pulaski and is
probably buried on the grounds. I don't know
where the poor house was. Just somewhere along RT 11
between Pulaski and Dublin. I was at what was left
of his cabin in the late 60s. I'm sure there's
nothing now, as there wasn't much then.
Jo Ann jotickle@aol.com

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 1:32AM GMT
are you still looking for more information?

Posted: 21 Jan 2013 1:34AM GMT
are you still looking for more information?

Posted: 3 Jul 2014 3:06AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Surat Muncy Bullard Compton McGinnis Richardson Leslie Mustard
I'd love more information if anyone has anything. Jimmie was apparently my great-great-grandfather.

Here's what else I've come across (copied from http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~prsjr/fami... ):

This comes from the book "History of Bland County" which was published by the Bland County Centennial Corporation. The name "James Surrett" does not appear at all; however, this is the article from the book on "Jimmie SURAT" who lived to be 120 years old. Since his birth and death data (1795-1915) and name are so close to your ancestor, I think he must be the one you are researching.
"Perhaps, one of the most colorful, unique and the undisputed oldest citizen ever to reside in Bland County was Jimmy Surat (pronounced Cert). He came to Bland County from one of the Carolinas. He was half Blackfoot Indian and escaped from the tribe while it was being forced, under government supervision, to move from the Carolinas to a reservation in the West. Many of the Indians died during the 2,000 mile march.
He moved to Bland and lived in a cabin on Brushy Mountain, north of a farm that was owned by H. McGinnis, which later became the property of Andrew Muncy. At the time he came to Bland, he was married to a woman whom the oldtimers remembered only as "Aunt Suzie." After the death of "Aunt Suzie" he married "Liz." To this union was born four children, one boy and three girls. By a former marriage "Liz" had a daughter named "Ol." Her favorite pastime was stealing horses from barns and riding through the woods at night. "Ol" finally left home and spent the rest of her life with Bransom Bullard, who was a former slave purchased from the auction block by Col. John R Compton.
Jimmy Surat died at the estimated age of 120 years. Records indicate that he registered to vote at Bland on 9-15, 1902 and gave his age as "about 90." Jimmy never slept in a bed, always on a pallet in front of the fireplace. He died in 1915. H. McGinnis, Claude Richardson, and Miller Leslie hauled his body off Brushy Mt. in a two-horse wagon. His casket was furnished by Ess Mustard and paid for by the county. "Liz" , his wife, rode on top of the casket from the home to the cemetery. He was buried in the Town Cemetery at Bland."

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions