Search for content in message boards

Pronunciation of HEHIR

Pronunciation of HEHIR

Posted: 19 Nov 2001 1:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Could any subscriber with an idle moment let me know whether they pronounce HEHIR (or one of its variants) with the stress on the first syllable, the second syllable, or as HARE?

Please let me know at heathco@aol.com to avoid congestion on the message board: I'll post a breakdown of my findings!

Re: Pronunciation of HEHIR

Fr Bernard Hehir (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2001 9:24AM GMT
In New Zealand the name has been anglicised to one syllable, "hare". But it seems that in Ireland it was (and is) given two syllables with the accent on the first - "HAIR-her" .
A famous Irish sporting commentator, Michael O'Hehir, was invariably presented as "MEE-hawl oh-HAIR-her".
(N.B. In vocalising the "HAIR" syllable, leave out the "R" -- I simply cannot access with my keyboard the ordinary symbol for the phonetic indication of a short "e" !!)
Hope this helps.

Warwick Hehir (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2001 3:20AM GMT
In Regard to the pronunciaton HEHIR. Our family also currently pronounce HEHIR in the english way of Hare or Hair. Even our Irish cousins do as well but the older generation pronounce it as Fr Hehir said in the previous email
"But it seems that in Ireland it was (and is) given two syllables with the accent on the first - "HAIR-her" .
As I recall to my ear it almost sound "Ha - her" with the emphasis on the first H.
Cheers

Warwick

Posted: 25 May 2002 12:53AM GMT
Edited: 5 Apr 2003 5:54PM GMT
My mother's maiden name was Hehir, the family pronounced it Hare. I just returned from Clare and folks I met there with
the same spelling pronounced it "Ha har" - it is difficult to translate the exact sound into spelling.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions